Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #41)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Just checked again, and saw two different prices.

:shrug:

2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

FWIW, I also just checked and there are two prices so most definitely a temporary glitch.

3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have the LP of this and I agree it's a great disc. It has not been released on SACD IIRC.

4. John S

John S Forum Resident

Good grief!

Beethoven
    Piano Sonata in C minor, Op. 13

Emil Gilels, piano

[​IMG]

Schroeder inspired me to put an oldie on. The strip shows him playing part of the first movement's allegro (second section) of the "Pathétique".

I love Gilels' Beethoven.

5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Is that set in SACD format? I have Masur Beethoven Symphonies cycle with the Gewandhausorchester on PentaTone ...

6. coopmv

Your standard CDP is not capable of playing the SACD layer of a hybrid CD. It can only play the regular stereo layer ...

7. coopmv

Indeed, that was a big miss for me. While I think the RCA cycle is quite good, perhaps with more modern sound, it is just a regular stereo recording.
    The Mercury SACD has been OOP for some times. BTW, is Mercury part of UniversalMusic? I believe 2005 also was the last year UniversalMusic released SACD's ...

8. coopmv

Now playing CD7 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

9. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

The bench mark for me is the Richter/ Kondrashin version of both of the Lizst Concertos, on Philips.

10. coopmv

Not surprising. Performance should matter more than sound. There is no doubt Berman was a much better pianist than Ax ... :righton:

11. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Mine too!

12. coopmv

Not sure if I am ready to say "Me Three" yet since I have had only one listen to that CD after you recommended it a while back ... :D

13. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this great sounding CD, with much thanks to RRB! :wave:

14. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I should note that the MLP cycle and other MLP titles are available as Hi Rez downloads from HDTracks for a very reasonable price.

15. coopmv

I do not know if I will ever be receptive to music download in any meaningful way. The only downloads I have done to date were a few free concerts by the Royal Concertgebouw from a few years ago ...

16. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

17. George P

[​IMG]

Enjoying another "new to me" CD set, this one is lovely.

18. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Gave the 81 sessions a first time listen last night, I am very familiar with the 55 sessions and already have them on CD but opted for this instead of a used vinyl of the digital sessions from 81 due to the rave reviews here and elsewhere on the analog recordings. Want to get through all of it before I post my thoughts but glad I added this to my Glenn Gould collection.

19. George P

^

Be sure to check out the interview CD in that set. It's great! :wave:

20. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

[​IMG]

The '81 recording was my very first Goldberg Variations and it's still my favourite. Probably because I knew no other version for a long time, I prefer it's slower approach over the '55 recording.

BTW, I got it after reading "Der Untergeher" (The Loser) by Thomas Bernhard, a fictional story that uses Gould and the Goldberg Variations as a main element. Anyone know that novel?

21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

No, but Tim Powers The Goldbug Variations manages to intertwine Glenn Glould's debut 'Gouldbergs' into the the plot [concerning DNA and Encryption during the discovery of DNA] without once mentioning the Pianist's name.

22. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I made it halfway through that book. I think it's really good, but very hard to read for me. But yes, the way Gould's name isn't mentioned once, but it's obvious that it's his '55 recording the protagonist is listening to is pretty cool. Also how it is structured like the Golberg Variations (Aria, 32 chapters, Aria da capo).

Some day I will finish the book. "The Time Of Our Singing" made me a fan.

23. coopmv

Just placed an order with Presto on the following CD's ...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

This is a great CD, wonderful sound quality and musicianship to match.

I live in Minneapolis, and right now the Minnesota Orchestra is in labor negotiations, and the orchestra itself is in peril. The board wants large salary cuts (up to 50%) of the musicians pay. Who knows what's going to happen.

Anyways, I highly suggest everyone check out the latest Bis recordings of the orchestra---very well recorded.

25. George P

[​IMG]

Enjoying another "new to me" CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.