Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #52)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Ordered the following CD earlier today. A somewhat unusual CD IMO - choral works by Pachelbel. While I have the Complete Organ Works by Pachelbel on the Centaur label spread over 11 volumes, I was not aware that he actually composed some choral works ...

[​IMG]

2. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Yeah he's not deaf. At least not when he was compiling his list of best sounding recordings. He mostly picked really outstanding *sounding* records.

Robin L likes this.
  3. coopmv

How can I forget that set? The most expensive CD set I have ever bought in terms of price/disc ... :winkgrin:

4. drh

drh Talking Machine

I'm with Diogenes on this one--endlessly searching for the perfect recording, never quite finding it. My "necessary but not sufficient" problem is with the coda of the first mvt., which never seems to have quite the right combination of passion and precision. Forced to choose, I usually opt for the former, even if it costs some messiness (see, e.g., Artur Rubinstein's account from late 78 RPM records, issued both as conventional set DM-1018 and clear red vinyl DV-3). So far, I guess the front runners for me, at least on CD, have been Sviatoslav Richter (New York, 1960, RCA Papillon issue from way back when) and Artur Pizarro (Linn SACD). A special case is Anthony Newman on Newport Classics; he plays a period piano--specifically, a copy of an 1804 Clementi--and, while he's hardly what you'd call "tidy," I think he may come closest of any I've heard to how the piano-demolishing Beethoven might have played it himself, achieving a level of violence in the coda of the last movement that has the strings jangling off their bridges.

Oh, and happy new year, everybody! :wave:

Robin L likes this.
  5. John S

John S Forum Resident

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Annie Fischer all the way, followed by Richter and Arrau.

George P likes this.
  7. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

So, these are the best "An der schoenen blauen Donau", Op. 314 (1866) acc. to Diapason of January 2014:

Historic: Erich Kleiber (Staatskapelle Berlin, 1932):

Ideal: George Szell (VPO, 1934, Preiser)

Magistral: Harnoncourt (RCO,Teldec, 1986)

Sensual: Carlos Kleiber (VPO, DG, 1989)

Happy New Year!

Alex

8. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Celebrating the New Year with Richard Strauss - Der Rosenkavalier - von Karajan, Schwarzkopf et al

Stone Turntable likes this.
  9. sgb

sgb Senior Member

All these years I thought he was a she. You learn something new every day. I'll have to look to see if I still have my copy to verify that.

10. sgb

sgb Senior Member

They were worth a look when Andrew Quint was writing for them back in the 80s.

11. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I am more of a Stereophile man, I find it more down to earth. Also it is the only magazine that I know of that provides measurements.

12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

She he is indeed.

13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

It is very difficult for me to choose a a favorite version of Appassionata, there are so many great recordings of this work! In addition to what was already mentioned, I like Gilels' recording that came out in 1974 (DG)

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Happy New Year everybody! Think I'm gonna drag some Johann Strauss Jr. off the shelf and fire up the Frankenstereo. Have a great 2014.

15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I love Harry Pearson's writing, being as I'm a fan of the florid and the fabulist. He's fashioned some apocalyptic hyperbole. Great fun to read. Also has pretty good taste in audio gear. I appreciate that, for him, classical music—particularly orchestral—is the gold standard for evaluation audio reproduction.

16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Agreed to all, I have a lot of respect for Harry Pearson.
    Robin, I don't know if you 've seen this, if not take a look, it is a nice read, Pearson explains the reasons why he left Absolute Sound.

http://www.hpsoundings.com/2013/04/why-i-quit-the-absolute-sound/

Robin L likes this.
  17. coopmv

I rarely ever read the classical music review in Stereophile either. The last time I did was reading some of the classical reviews in the now defunct Stereo Review back in the 80's when CD first hit the market and audio was a lot more fun ...

18. coopmv

Are any of the new piano sensations worth mentioning in connection with "Appassionata"?

19. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I'm not plugged into that, sorry. I wasn't aware of Annie Fischer's set until fairly recently so it's still a bit new to me. I tend to play these sorts of things obsessively.

20. Scott Wheeler

I suppose it depends on who you consider a "sensation." HJ Lim recorded the entire Beethoven cycle as her debute recording. Here are some samples

http://www.emiclassics.com/release/...lim-hj-beethoven-complete-piano-sonatas-vol-1

My impression of HJ Lim is that she plays almost everything as though she is double parked. Speed at the expense of everything else.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  21. Scott Wheeler

22. coopmv

There was a time when I subscribed to no fewer than 3 audio magazines. Unfortunately, my interest in audio gears has waned over the past twenty years due to the increasing emphasis on HT and the stratospheric prices. My two biggest pastimes are investments and music (and its collection). While good audio equipments is the road to great listening experience, there is a point of diminishing return. That is why I have no hesitation to invest but simply will never spend more than $10K on a single piece of audio equipment.

23. coopmv

I heard about HJ Lim's cycle and doubt I will ever bother to add it to my collection of Beethoven Piano Sonatas. With 13 versions in my collection, I think I am done.

24. Scott Wheeler

OTOH if one ever feels the need to hear the entire cycle as quickly as possible this would be the one to get.

bluemooze and Robin L like this.
  25. coopmv

I will probably re-listen to the Annie Fischer's set after I have made my major upgrade to the sound system in my study. Perhaps a tube amp can bring out more of the piano magic ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.