Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #54)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I like his Chopin Recordings on EMI, bought a few years ago before the WarnerMusic takeover ...

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

An underratred but excellent pianist IMO. I have quite a few of his reocordings ...

John S likes this.
  3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks, Stuart, I 've never bought anything by this pianist before cause I had read that he was kind of unpredictable. But there was a very interesting review on last month' s Gramophone that made me order this collection:

http://www.amazon.com/Samson-François-Live/dp/B00FCAZERW

4. John S

John S Forum Resident

It was Scott's blind listening exercises in these threads with Scarlatti that made me aware of Szokolay.

5. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

So far, I have enjoyed the recordings of Manfred Honeck that I have heard.

Manfred Honeck
    Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra
    Mahler: Symphony No. 1 "Titan"
    Exton, 2009

Recorded 2008 live
    [​IMG]

6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

How's the sound quality of this?

7. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I have only listened to the SACD layer, but for live it is excellent sound.

8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks, I am mostly interested in the SACD layer, so that's good. I 've read contradictory reviews on this, so I am curious to listen for myself.
    I just ordered it :thumbsup:

9. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Generally true, but many classical music fans are CD only listeners and these would be a potential market for better digital transfers. They won't have to fear the labels outdoing them either. There would also be a market for vinyl remasters from the US labels (and DG too) that issued inferior pressings originally. Oddly outside of a couple of DG reissues from Speakers Corner I haven't seen much interest or effort in that direction. The difference between some of the British and German pressings of these US labels like CBS back in the day indicate that significant improvements are possible.

10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

001.JPG
    I bought a bag of 95-cent classical CDs Saturday and will post some as I listen to them. This is a 2011 Warner Classics reissue of
    2000 Erato recordings.

11. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

002.JPG
    2001 recordings by the ensemble 'Rebel', led by Schwarz, made at the Troy Savings Bank Music Hall in Troy, NY. These lively works reflect the influence of Polish music on Telemann. A small group of seven players, including a flute/recorder, is used on three of the works. The fourth is by strings & harpsichord only.

12. drh

drh Talking Machine

Dorian was a lovely little label. Alas, I think it went bust, but somebody else picked up the catalogue and keeping it, or good parts of it, in print.

There's some interesting material on Apex, all, I think, reissues from earlier labels now defunct. One in my collection that leaps to mind is a collection of Eastern European piano music including an attractive piano concerto by George Pelecis. Possibly a sign that Warner won't necessarily be a disaster as proprietor of the EMI catalogue.

vanhooserd likes this.
  13. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

We went to an all-Telemann concert by Nashville Baroque recently; one of our friends is their flutist. We greatly enjoy his music.

14. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Just got back from the Kissin recital at Disney Hall.

PH416156 likes this.
  15. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

I entirely agree.

16. Mr Bass

Now Listening To

Bach. Harpsichord Concertos for 2-4 Soloists. Koopman etc w/Amsterdam Baroque Orch.

An excellent performance and recording of these difficult to record concertos.

bachharpsic.jpg

zmic likes this.
  17. Mr Bass

He was not only everywhere, he was excellent too. A real tragedy concerning his premature death. Leonard has talent but not as much as his Dad had.

18. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Haven't heard the Erato live stuff.

I think he's a mercurial pianist and therefore, has lots of hits and misses. I got the EMI box and I don't regret it, but I would recommend a lot more consistent pianists ahead of him. He's interesting, so he has that going for him. Sorry if this is confusing.

19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks George :wave:

I got the Erato live set and another box set of three EMI France Lps with Chopin recordings on the way. I will post my impressions after I listen to them.

20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

My favorite versions, Pinnock's set for Archive re-released as a budget box:

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  21. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Also available with the violin concertos, orchestral suites and Brandenburgers as a very cheap 7 disc set.

bluemooze likes this.
  22. AlexK

AlexK New Member

I got Beethoven. I hope this doesn't mean I'm going deaf.

And I'm one of those boomers who got rid of all the old CDs. I'd long since ripped them to very large hard discs, and I already have well over 10,000 books in the house. One less collection of objects is a good thing.

23. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Welcome! Hope you check out the What I'm reading thread in off-topic as well.

24. AlexK

AlexK New Member

On the other hand, consider what incredible bargains some classical CD reissues have gotten.
    Will do, and thanks for the welcome.
    Oh, and for what it's worth, I'm currently listening to this: bbsonata.jpg

EasterEverywhere and Mr Bass like this.
  25. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Welcome to the Corner! :wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.