Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by coopmv, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

It's late analog recording. I would go so far as to say that this should be in every classical music fans collection. You can hear samples here

and here's a photo:

[​IMG]

2. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Thanks George I'll give it a listen.

Wow Perlman's fiddling on this VC3 is excellent. Much more firey and exciting than Szeryng. The orchestra has a nicer kind of analog sound to it on the Szeryng disc, but I'm definitely preferring the Perlman overall. I also prefer the sound of the actual solo violin on the Perlman. Generally speaking, the sound on the DG disc is a little better than most early digital (1983) I've heard. This one's a winner :righton: (I love the Lalo work too).

3. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

The samples sound wonderful. This one's in my wishlist :)

4. George P

George P Notable Member

Roge's Satie is sublime as well.

Samples here

5. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

Abendroth's Beethoven 9th...LSO 1953. Obliterating

6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

George is that Morrissey in your avatar?

I haven't listened to much classical during the last two weeks......

Only the new Annie Sophie Mutter Mendelssohn Violin Concerto, great performance!

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes indeed!

[​IMG]

I go through phases myself. I find it hard to consistently listen to some classical and non-classical everyday. Instead I have a classical marathon or a non-classical marathon.

8. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

I still feel guilty if I don't play lots of rock, because I bought so much last year.

Actually I still seem to be buying a lot this year :help:

9. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, I just figure I'll get to it. I don't want to force myself to listen to anything.

Tell me about it. I don't care anymore, though. As long as I continue to reduce my debt and buy everything with cash, I'm happy.

10. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

To add to my problems, I just discovered how awesome Frank Zappa is. There's another 60 or so albums I need :D How am I meant to expand beyond my ONE Schubert CD with this going on...

11. drh

drh Talking Machine

Note that Zappa also wrote some "advanced" chamber music and such that has seen release on record from time to time. Just a friendly hint to help you solve that problem of how to do your bit to stimulate the economy! ;)

12. George P

George P Notable Member

Continuing in my backwards-chronological survey of the available Richter Schubert sonatas, today I listened to two recordings of:

D 840

Paris 19-20 October 1961 (Monitor)
    – This recording, the earliest of two that Richter made of this work, was made in a studio in Paris. The sound is better than I expected, with enough hiss to ensure that the tapes were not remastered or filtered. Unfortunately the miking was set up too close, as some of the forte chords distort, but this does not present a problem for most of the performance. The first movement begins gently, in a tranquil mood. Richter’s conception of this work is clear and presented as such. The second movement improves on this, Richter’s tone is gorgeous and his playing amongst the best of his Schubert recordings. He chooses, as he does with his later live recording, to include the two incomplete movements. The third movement did not come off too well for me, I am not sure if this is the fault of the composer or the pianist. The finale was much better, with an extremely catchy rhythm. Richter’s intensity builds until the final incomplete measures, where he just stops. I found this effect to be quite sad, though I am grateful that he decided to record the two incomplete movements.

Salzburg 27 November 1979 – Moving from the studio to a live venue 18 years later, Richter shows a clear difference, not to mention improvement, in approach. Here he benefits from more distant miking that is capable of capturing his immense dynamic range and fairly modern recorded sound. His tempo is slower than his previous recording in the first movement, in fact over 3 minutes slower, something that results in progress from his beautiful 1961 recording to this gorgeously sublime one. In fact, I barely wrote any notes for this movement, for his playing was spellbinding and his tone was delicious, captured wonderfully by the engineers. Luckily, the audience was barely noticeable and was likely as captivated as I was. The second movement is played at a very similar tempo to the 1961 performance, but here Richter’s playing is again more special, perhaps a result of the 18 years of experience that separates them. By turns he is tender, playful, fierce and joyful, Richter is impressive to listen to here. In the third movement, he speeds things up by a full minute and a half compared to his 1961 recording, though it does not sound rushed at all. The movement comes off much better in fact, sounding more musical and less repetitive than before. The finale might sound a bit less technically secure than the 1961 performance, but at this point I might be splitting hairs. Overall, a superb performance and my recommendation for the best version of this sonata as played by Richter. It is currently available in the Master Series on Decca.

13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks George, these are always very informative and helpful :thumbsup:

14. George P

George P Notable Member

My pleasure, Chris! :wave:

15. George P

George P Notable Member

Sviatoslav Richter's Schubert D 784

Tokyo 7 February 1979 (Regis)
    – This recording is one of two live performances available by the pianist. The other, recorded in London, would come 7 weeks later. The Regis reissue that I have sounds excellent, with a full, yet slightly veiled piano tone that benefited from a bit of added treble on my stereo. Richter played the first movement in a dramatic style, with sharp dynamic contrasts, bold crescendos and mysteriously beautiful quiet passages. Audience noise was not an obstacle to my enjoyment. In fact, I barely noticed them. The central movement was played with a reflective tenderness that acted as a perfect contrast to the first movement’s tension. The finale brought a sense of playfulness and joy to the performance. This is one of those memorable, extra special Schubert Richter performances.

London 31 March 1979 (BBC) – Compared to its Tokyo counterpart, this live performance was more distantly miked. This allowed for more dynamic headroom for the fortes and crescendos, but is also made them less immediate as well. The effect was like sitting in the back of the hall on this recording. The sound was less filtered than the Tokyo, meaning more overall hiss, but clearer piano tone as well. The conception of the work was very similar, as one would expect. His timings for each movement were very similar. As the first movement went on, I missed the impact of the closer Regis recording and thus didn’t enjoy this version as much. This aspect adversely affected the next two movements as well. The playing sounded fine, but those attacks that were so effective in the Tokyo recording were dulled here.

16. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Gergiev

Huge article from March 12 issue of New York Times magazine slipped by me. Here it is:

Attached Files:

17. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Thanks, Eddie. I read this yesterday, and have been playing Gergiev's Mahler all day today.

18. aaronfirebrand

aaronfirebrand Well-Known Member

I admit that I'm new to classical music. My only previous attraction in this genre has been the Goldberg Variations (Gould,Tureck, Landowska).
    Once I started listening to SACD, I soon realized that the bulk of available SACD titles fall into classical and jazz (as far as what interests me) and have begun to collect mostly classical SACDs.
    One that I love listening to is the Bernard Haitink/Concertgebouw recording of Richard Strauss' A Hero's Life (Ein Heldenleben) from Phillips/Japan.
    Is there any consensus here regarding this release?

19. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

There was a time when I was wanting to focus on a mostly SACD library of classical music but then I got interested in PC-Audio and DACs and SACD started to fade for Pop/Rock and for Jazz the SACD's weren't alway better masters. Now I just look for performances and sound quality of a broader format spectrum.

Here were the THE ABSOLUTE SOUND recommended SACD titles I wanted to buy:

Vivaldi - La Stravaganza (podger)
    Mahler - Symph 1 (tilson Thomas)
    Dvorak - Symph 8 and 9 (Fischer ) Phillips 470617

There's just so much available vs. time to listen--especially when I'm still listening to rock and an increasing amount of jazz.

Instead of buying the expensive Classical titles in the HiFi mags and Audiophile records store catalog I often just pick up titles of interest in the CD and Lp clearance bins for $1-$3 from known labels... but perhaps I should do a little more research and focus on a few more expensive gems that combine pieces of interest with great performances and sonics.

20. In Joe Jackson's early years he played violin before taking on the piano. He mentions Beethoven in his biography book Cure For Gravity. At one point specifically the "Eroica" symphony is discussed. So I thought I'd dial up a version while I read the book. Turns out this is the only version I have.

Berliner Philarmoniker/Herbert Von Karajan - Ludwig Van Beethoven - Symphony No.3 in E flat major op.55 >>Eroica<< - 9 Symphonien - 1963 - 5 CD box set - Disc 1
    Deutsche Grammophon - Polygram - Canada

[​IMG]

ADD

Not sure when this was originally released on CD (only). Guessing late mid to late 1980s. I bought the box as a mid-price in around 1990/91.

21. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I think there's no consensus about the CD in the forum.

Generally speaking, Philips, along with DG, is not considered to be an audiophile label.
    But there are some exceptions - especially relatively recent SACD releases of, say, Iwan Fischer, Mullova, etc.

22. drh

drh Talking Machine

...which is ironic, because back in the '70s and '80s both labels, but particularly DG, were revered as setting the bar for pressing and recording quality. Times change!

As to your Haitink recording, I'd agree that there probably isn't a consensus, since there's seldom a consensus about much of anything. Interpretation and recording being such matters of taste, that's as it should be. I got myself into some hot water a while back by noting that, in *my* opinion (and nothing more), there are other conductors out there that in general do more for me than Haitink does. But if the recording at issue speaks to and moves *you,* that's what is important for *you*, and you shouldn't worry yourself too much if it's a "consensus" choice for anybody else. (That said, if lots of other members commend a recording, it might be worth checking out; you mighrt find something that you really like!)

23. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Very true. :agree:
    As for Ein Heldenleben, it is much worth checking out the SACD by Fritz Reiner and his Chicago band.
    http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/2347

24. drh

drh Talking Machine

And oh, by the way, welcome to the wonderful world of classical music--have fun!

25. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Were they??:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.