Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #66)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

It certainly is dense. One of my most astonishing concert experiences was hearing Andras Schiff perform Book 1 in its entirety on a Saturday and Book 2 the follwoing Thursday.

2. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

\

YES! :pineapple: I must have thirty or forty of those RCA/HMV LPs,including a couple of Furtwanglers,Guido Cantelli's first recordings,and a couple by Ginette Neveu.

ToddBD, bluemooze and Nick Dunning like this.
  3. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

The very issue I have of this.Never could find an actual Blueback of it.

4. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Currently listening to this...

[​IMG]

Any recommendations for similar titles on the Decca label (and on CD)?

5. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Don't worry about the color of the back of the jacket. The truth is in the matrix numbers.

6. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG] ^

(CD Decca Silver Center West Germany 410 206-2)

EasterEverywhere, ToddBD, Mik and 4 others like this.
  7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

If you mean the Abbado Symphony Edition box the answer is no; it has Abbado's performance of Mahler's 3rd with the Berlin Philharmonic, Anna Larsson, the London Symphony Chorus and the City of Birmingham Symphony Youth Chorus.

The only Lucerne performance in the box is Mahler's 2nd Symphony, also with Anna Larsson.

8. john greenwood

Thanks. You're right with respect to Mahler, although the box has a Bruckner 1st with the Lucerne Festival Orchestra.

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yep, sorry, I should have made that clear.

10. john greenwood

Coffee this morning to Dorati conducting Haydn (45-47 courtesy of Spotify).

The Bostridge/Denk conversation was somewhat enlightening. Denk saw the music as darker than Bostridge who found more variety in it. One thing I did not know - according to Bostridge (and a couple of web sources I looked up when I got home), the score as written better suits a tenor voice than a baritone. Despite that, Bostridge's favorite interpreter is DFD.
    I did get a signed copy of Bostridge singing the three Schubert cycles.

Mik likes this.
  11. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Cesar Franck – Sonata for Violin and Piano in A major (transc. for violin and orchestra)
    — Leonid Kogan, violin — State Academic Symphony Orchestra — Pavel Kogan

Franz Schubert – Fantasie in C major for Violin and Piano D934 Op.posth.159 (original violin/piano version)
    — Leonid Kogan, violin, Samuel Alumian, piano

Robert Schumann – Fantasie in C major Op.131 for violin and orchestra (arr. for violin and piano)
    — Leonid Kogan, violin, Andrei Mytnik, piano (Brilliant Classics – Legendary Russian Soloists)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    Robin L, bluemooze and dale 88 like this.
  12. john greenwood

After a morning appointment was cancelled due to the weather, I'm hanging out listening to the Del Monaco/Tebaldi/Von Karajan "Otello" from the Decca box.

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  13. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

An email from Presto Classical received this morning includes the following news ...

Obituary – Aldo Ciccolini (1925-2015)

[​IMG]

The sad news reached us this morning of the death of the Italian-French pianist Aldo Ciccolini, at the age of 89. His long and illustrious career, kick-started by a prize-winning performance of Tchaikovsky's first piano concerto at the age of 25, was marked by a tireless championing of French composers. He was a devoted advocate both of the well-loved and well-established masters Debussy, Saint-Saëns and Ravel and of those such as Satie, Severac and Alkan whose names he felt were not as well-known as they deserved to be.

In the course of an extensive collaboration with EMI he recorded the complete piano works of Debussy, Massenet, Satie and Severac - a palpable testament to his devotion to French music. Yet Ciccolini himself felt the greatest legacy a musician could leave would be to inspire another generation to come after them, commenting that “There is nothing more moving than to see the talent of a young girl or a young boy blossom like a flower.”

You can browse through all his recordings here.

EasterEverywhere, ToddBD, Mik and 3 others like this.
  14. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I will return to this compilation of 56 CDs. RIP

[​IMG]

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Sibelius: Violin Concerto, Op.47 - Kyung-Wha Chung with André Previn/London Symphony Orchestra - Decca

[​IMG]

EasterEverywhere, Mik and Robin L like this.
  16. coopmv

I only have his EMI Satie 5-CD box ...

17. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Dmitri Shostakovich – String Quartet No.1 Op.49, No.2 Op.68 — Fitzwilliam String Quartet (London / Decca Records)

[​IMG]

Mik, Robin L, John S and 6 others like this.
  18. john greenwood

Nielsen 4th - Danish Radio Symphony with Blomstedt.

Mik, ToddBD and Fafner88 like this.
  19. coopmv

From a very reasonably priced box I added to my Nielsen collection some two years ago ... :righton:

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  20. coopmv

Skipped over Beethoven and Bruckner from this box since I have had those individual RCA boxes long before I bought this big box and now playing CD17 - Schubert Symphonies Nos 1-2 for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

trumpetplayer, Mik and bluemooze like this.
  21. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I don't think he yields any virtuosity to Marc-Andre Hamelin, and he plays with a bit more imagination. Superb sound.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  22. john greenwood

Now on to that other Scandinavian - the LSO with Monteux conducting the Sibelius 2nd

bluemooze and J.A.W. like this.
  23. john greenwood

I'll be hearing Hamelin in recital next month, so I'll reserve judgment. :)

24. john greenwood

I'm making my way through the Decca Analog box. I found it on closeout at HMV in London last October.

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Just listened to: Debussy: Ibéria - Fritz Reiner/Chicago Symphony Orchestra - Fritz Reiner - The Complete RCA Album Collection – 63 CDs, RCA; disc 28

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.