Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #9)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

This is an excellent recording. I bought this Philips twofer last summer.

2. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

after all that piano it was time for true killer strings and a whole symphonic orchestra. My choice was the 1961 reading of Smetana - Die Moldau and Liszt - Ungarian Rhapsodie Bo 4 - conducted by the grand maestro HvK himself and his Berliner Philharmoniker
    Superb sound and very easy listening pleasure with a soundstage to dive right into..

quote 'These are all larger-than-life performances which daringly flaunt any danger of vulgarity, and the sheer bravura combined with finely polished ensemble totally justifies that flaunting in such music. The opening of the Ungarian Rhapsody turns the Berlin Philharmonic into the biggest and most opulent gypsy band in history'. Gramophone

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=140415&stc=1&d=1270253867

Attached Files:

3. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Playing atm. ethereal mellow stuff on CHANDOS from 1992

Attached Files:

4. coopmv

Now playing this CD, which arrived from MDT early in the week ...

[​IMG]

5. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

You know Stuart, I am with you on not just spinning this in December. In fact, mine (Slatkin) gets more play in July than any other month.:cool:

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

. . . over just about any alternatives?

In the first symphony, maybe . . .

[​IMG]

Am I the only one who prefers Colin Davis' remakes with the LSO for RCA?

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Speaking of Ravel (somebody mentioned a CD w/ a piece on it)

I am spending a few days with this 5 LP box set which is also on a 8 CD set with Debussy (see bottom for link).

RAVEL ORCHESTRA MUSIC
    Jean Martinon cond. Orchestra de Paris
    Aldo Ciccolini - piano, Itzhak Perlman -violin
    EMI SLS 5016 5LP Box Set (UK)

Unreal performances, and it is 70s EMI Recordings, so what would I expect for sound quality.

Attached Files:

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

(excerpts from review)
    If you were to start your Ravel collection here you would have been fortunate indeed, as a single cornerstone to your collection which you might leave as the only Ravel entry for years you can hardly better this. Few conductors enjoyed the command Jean Martinon demonstrated heartily with the Orchestre de Paris. This is Martinon’s esteemed set released by EMI, featuring all of the orchestral music of Maurice Ravel, with wonderful soloist support from Aldo Ciccolini on piano and Itzhak Perlman on violin. An incredible prize, definitive for some, that also displays a wide sound stage and glorious definition.

Jean Martinon's classic EMI Ravel cycle displays the conductor's crystal-clear orchestral balances, gorgeous, vibrant sonics, The young Itzhak Perlman's dazzling, effortless traversal of Ravel's Tzigane will humble many an aspiring fiddler. And you won't find a more sparkling, translucent Ravel Mother Goose Suite on record. Martinon was a marvel, and a sadly underrated podium giant.
    Pathé-EMI recorded the Ravel series in Paris in 1974, the playing for Martinon is hallmarked by tubby French brass and woodwind but the Boléro is stupendously raw and ultimately brash; (lacking – thank heavens! - the limousine refinement of Karajan). The shimmer and tidal pull of the sea is clear from Barque sur l'océan with a Frank Bridge parallel at 1.45 (The Sea). In the case of Ma Mère l’Oye I am not quite wooed away from the lovely Monteux recording but this is the complete ballet. The more I hear this work the more I regard it as a masterpiece of the gentlest beauty. In the case of Jardin Féerique this magic is coupled with the triumph of the carillon and richly-swept horn glissandi.

Alborada snaps and prattles away, Rapsodie receives a performance as ecstatic and yet as finely painted as you could want though again it does not supplant Monteux (Philips). The Shéhérazade - Ouverture de féerie is a very early work written when Ravel was only 24. It looks hopefully towards Rimsky and Balakirev yet leavens the mix with auguries of Ravel's maturity.

The recording of La Valse makes you aware how alive this is - bristling with directional information and life. Martinon breathes and blows on the silky drapes with a wayward warmth and a knowledge borne of years of experience. Every little gradation of dynamic is exploited and yet the conductor keeps up the pulse. It reels with a perfumed suggestion of delirium.

The Tombeau dates from the years of the Great War and was dedicated to six friends killed in action. The Rigaudon is notable for the way the dazzling trumpets ‘sit on top’ of the flibbertigibbet rhythmic spasm. The Pavane is a peaceful refuge. The Valses Nobles et Sentimentales is again rich with directional information and orchestral detail. The sound is warm and honeyed throughout and the performances are to match. The Daphnis has a wonderfully built Lever du Jour. This is playing soused in intoxicants, bathed in ecstatic abandon. Track 9 of Daphnis has a wind machine that makes a sympathetic zephyr-like breath rather than a Scott of the Antarctic bone-chill. At tr. 16 the evocation of dewy-leafage and birdsong rises and stretches to welcome a softened victorious dawn.

Those notes are edited down from an overview of this set on CD - boxed up with the Debussy cycle.

http://www.amazon.com/Debussy-Ravel-Orchestral-Works-Claude/dp/B00006HM8X

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Les Prelude's one of those rare pieces I prefer in a dilapidated antique—Mengleberg/Concertgebouw, 1929.
    Mengleberg simply smokes all other competition. This relic sounds messianic/demonic:

[​IMG]

10. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Seven of the eight discs at Rasputin's for $9

Have the CD box, lovely performances and sound.

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I kind of want the CDs because of the sound, but kind of want the "LPs only" because of the sound.

I was floored by this last night and am going back for more this weekend, all weekend in fact.

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I think Gergeiv is one of the best.

13. coopmv

Now playing CD4 for a first spin - St John Passion from this set ...

[​IMG]

14. coopmv

The performance was excellent and this is also my first recording by Gergiev ...

15. coopmv

16. coopmv

Now playing CD5 - St John Passion from this set ...

[​IMG]

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Bartok

Here is another knockout box set on 3LPs. I am not certain that this one is on CD, only an earlier Vegh recording has appeared afaik.

I like the sound on this one as well and the performances are growing on me. A tough one to find even on LPs.

Attached Files:

18. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I prize this set too.:thumbsup: I think the earlier Vegh recording was Mono. My set from the 70's is a 3-disc MHS, recorded by Valois, the original label. There may be a Naive label set of this on CD, not sure.

19. Great disc, I bought mine before Christmas but Easter might work just as well. ;)

20. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Here is my go-with version of the Nutcracker, produced by Bishop/Parker, IIRC. It doesn't fit on one CD and that's a plus for me. I haven't heard the Gergiev (one day I may try), but I'm unsure if it's possible to accomodate such speed without losing the details...

Attached Files:

21. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Now listening to Lieder Vol. 1 (CD 15) from this Grieg box. Sung by Marianne Hirsti, Kjell Magnus Sandve and Knut Skram, accompanied by Rudolf Jansen.

[​IMG]

22. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from this set, which arrived a few days ago ...

[​IMG]

23. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

OH YEAH!!! :cheers:

24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I've got to get that pair of CDs. Right now I've got the Mravinsky stereo recordings of Tchaikovsky on record club pressings from Italy. Awesome performances.

Now playing the ninth symphony from this box:

Attached Files:

25. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from this set. The third movement of S5 is just outstanding. Unfortunately, it is broken up from the first two movements, which are on CD1 ... :-\

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.