Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Smellin' Like A Rose Thread Starter

I have not (and will not) heard them.

2. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I am spinning Disc 1 from each of these sets tonight, rented from the library:

[​IMG]
    Debussy: complete piano music. Gordon Fergus-Thompson, ASV. I enjoyed this quite a bit. His playing is subdued and he leaves a lot of silence between the notes. He lets the harmonies bleed into everything which is important for me in Debussy.

[​IMG]
    Wagner: Siegfried. Joseph Keilberth conducting, recorded in 1955 at Bayreuth. Windgassen, Varnay, Hotter, and others singing. I thought this was going to be a "historical" recording but it sounds great. The voices are forward and achieve a really good balance with the orchestra.

JMR likes this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Here is my Debussy box ...

[​IMG]

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  4. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

[​IMG]
    This is the Brilliant re-issue of the previous DG recording issued around 2005. Although the interpretation has some interesting elements, the sound of the orchestra is thin and rough in too many places for me. Also, it sounds like the number of players has been reduced from the usual symphony orchestra.
    Marc Minkowski
    Les Musiciens du Louvre/Mahler Chamber Orchestra
    Brilliant, 2009.

5. coopmv

I have a few Marc Minkowski's recordings. He does not do much for me ...

6. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I also have that Demidenko Tchaikovsky and Scriabin concertos disc in the original Hyperion CD release from 94. I really like this version of the Tchaikovsky. The Scriabin is also good but for that work I definitely prefer the Ashkenazy recording from 1979 on Decca. I find the performance more moving and the sound quality superior. Are you familiar with the Ashkenazy Scriabin Concerto recording George?

7. George P

I am not. I love his solo Scriabin on Decca though. Have you heard that?

8. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

No but I will check it out!

9. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I have this London (Decca) recording of Ashkenazy playing the Scriabin Piano Concerto on LP -- issued in 1972. A brilliant performance!

[​IMG]

This London (Decca) LP gets frequent play at my house. I believe that the LP and CD were originally released simultaneously in 1987.

[​IMG]

royzak2000, bruce2 and J.A.W. like this.
  10. George P

The CD set I have includes all 10 of the Scriabin piano sonatas:

[​IMG]

11. coopmv

This twofer has been on my wish list for years but should be ordered soon ...

bruce2 likes this.
  12. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

:edthumbs:

13. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I just ordered that same 1987 CD of Scriabin sonatas today! And yes I was mistaken about the date, the Ashkenazy Scriabin concerto was recorded in 1971 with the Prometheus that you have shown. What a great recording I think I will listen to it again tonight. I can't wait to hear the sonatas disc I'm glad you like that one too.

Wes H likes this.
  14. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

This afternoon on the turntable, Brahms 10 Intermezzi for Piano. Glenn Gould.
    Recorded in the fall of 1960 at Columbia's 30th Street Studio, NYC. Released April 17, 1961.
    Some of my favorite Brahms... I never tire of hearing these Intermezzi or Gould's impassioned performance.

[​IMG]

15. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Enjoying piano works by Gabriel Fauré on the turntable this afternoon. Jean-Philippe Collard performing:
    -Four Valses-Caprices
    -Ballade (in five movements), Op. 19
    -Three Romances, Op.17
    -Mazurka, Op.32
    A wonderfully varied recital and beautifully played on this handsome recording by EMI/Pathé Marconi, 1985, in la Salle Wagram, Paris.

[​IMG]

hvbias, George P and crispi like this.
  16. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Anyone have any thoughts on AMSI (ambient sound imaging) on those Eloquence budget CD boxes? I've avoided them up to now, but there is a damn cheap Eloquence box of the Schiff Bach at a local record store. I also grabbed Kempff's Solo Repertoire box for quite a bargain even if it isn't truly complete :p

17. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

Sunday listening:

[​IMG]
    Bartok: Piano concertos.Peter Donohoe and Simon Rattle / CBSO. Rattle and Donohoe do a great job keeping the melodic line of these pieces, making sure they are not simply technically daunting exercises in rhythm.

[​IMG]
    Haydn: String Quartets op. 76 nos. 3, 4, and 5. Kodaly Quartet. I liked these performances, but I will probably still stick with the Quatuor Mosaiques as my go-to.

[​IMG]
    Beethoven: the Symphonies. Charles Mackerras / Scottish CO. Mackerras' conducting is warm and does not push the expressive drama to its limits. But what he achieves is even better, with the personality of these symphonies shining through in a rare and brilliant way.

[​IMG]
    Shostakovich: String quartets. Borodin Quartet. I already had the Shostakovich quartets by the Pacifica Quartet but I could not pass these up when I found them for cheap in a used shop. I am glad I did!

[​IMG]
    Franz Schubert played by Andras Schiff. Just lovely in every way.

18. George P

Nice find! That set is one of the jewels of my collection.

19. George P

[​IMG]

As I continue my journey through Mahler's Symphonies, I am now enjoying this CD. The other day I listened to this great recording:

[​IMG]

20. coopmv

I have heard the "Art" series of EMI Great Recordings of the Century often suffers from too much compression and NR. Is this particular Mahler recording free from such problems?

21. George P

No compression or NR. It may have been equalized a bit to reduce the hiss on top, but it did not interfere with my enjoyment.

As I am sure you know, EMI classical is certainly not known for its sound. But it has some great performances (Barbirolli, Richter, Gilels, Arrau, Cortot, etc.), so I put up with the less than stellar sound.

crispi likes this.
  22. George P

[​IMG][​IMG]

Now enjoying my favorite recording of Rachmaninoff's fourth piano concerto.

23. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Not at all. First of all, the use of compression on this series is a myth. Secondly, NR is only used on “historical”, mono material from the 78-rpm era and some of the early tape recordings. In general, stereo recordings in this series sound excellent.

hvbias likes this.
  24. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Hi guys, is there any George Szell box that contains a more recently remastered version of his Mahler 4 recording? I have two versions, one from the 80s and the 90s one mentioned by @George P , but I find them both a bit too dull-sounding, unlike the original vinyl.

hvbias likes this.
  25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Not that I know of. The Korean Szell box doesn't even have his Mahler 4, a big omission.

crispi likes this.