Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

No, there is an older CD release that comes in a thick "fatboy" case, and is not one of the "Originals" remastered releases that you posted. It may be more expensive and hard to find. However, George says the Originals remaster sounds good too, and he may be right as I haven't heard it. I am generally not a fan of the DG Originals remastered CDs, I prefer the original 80s pressings for all of the titles I have heard.

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Forum Resident

Is this the correct one?
    Anner Bylsma - Bach The Cello Suites, Vol. 1 Nos. 1, 2 & 3

I think I found that one here:
    Johann Sebastian Bach, Pieter Wispelwey - 6 Suites Per Violoncello Solo Senza Basso

Okay, I think I've got a few different options to look over. Thanks for the help!

3. George P

George P Smellin' Like A Rose Thread Starter

No, those are earlier performances. This is the one I meant:

J. S. Bach* - Anner Bylsma - Suites For Violoncello Solo, BWV 1007-1012

Yes, that's it! If sound is a big factor for you, I'd get that one.

No problem! Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

4. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Re: The Bach cello suites on CD. From what I'm reading here, it looks like my versions are not among the recommended ones... Either that or I'm confused about the reissued/remasterings.

For the Fournier, I have this 2007 CD of the 1961 recording:

[​IMG]

Sounds fine to me, but I don't have the other CD versions to compare it with. Maybe I need to seek out another release?

As for the Wispelwey, I have his third recording from 2012.

[​IMG]

This Wispelwey CD is not cheap, but the recording is very different from various other Bach cello suite recordings I have on CD and LP.
    Wispelwey's performance is quite lively in phrasing and tempo. He also plays an instrument that is somehow deeper in tone than the standard cello... almost a string bass. The recording is very close-miked, sounding like he's in the room, whereas the Fournier recording has more reverb that provides a lovely air to the sound of his cello. Both have merit; I guess it all comes down to personal preference (and YMMV), but I really like having both as each presents a unique perspective on these wonderful suites.

George P likes this.
  5. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

6. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

I suggest streaming them if you are able, none of the selections presented here are poor choices. My personal favorite is Janos Starker's Mercury recording and you get the benefit of truly reference level recording quality (even on my Quads which are a bit lacking in low bass it sounds like a cellist is in the room), the SACD is out of print (what I listen to) but even the regular CD sounds absolutely fantastic. Fournier's interpretation/playing is very romantic though I still enjoy it now and then

7. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

8. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Heinrich Schiff is one I would like to hear, someone with similar tastes as me said very good things about it

[​IMG]

9. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying some more live Gilels.

Wes H likes this.
  10. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

[​IMG]

1. Concerto for harpsichord, strings & continuo No. 2 in E major, BWV 1053: 1. Allegro
    2. Concerto for harpsichord, strings & continuo No. 2 in E major, BWV 1053: 2. Siciliano
    3. Concerto for harpsichord, strings & continuo No. 2 in E major, BWV 1053: 3. Allegro
    4. Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D major, BWV 1068: Air on the G string
    5. Concerto for harpsichord, strings & continuo No. 5 in F minor, BWV 1056: 1. Allegro
    6. Concerto for harpsichord, strings & continuo No. 5 in F minor, BWV 1056: 2. Largo
    7. Concerto for harpsichord, strings & continuo No. 5 in F minor, BWV 1056: 3. Presto
    8. Cantata No. 147, 'Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben,' BWV 147 (BC A174): Choral Jesus bleibet meine Freude
    9. Partita for solo violin No. 2 in D minor, BWV 1004: 1. Allamanda
    10. Partita for solo violin No. 2 in D minor, BWV 1004: 2. Corrente
    11. Partita for solo violin No. 2 in D minor, BWV 1004: 3. Sarabanda
    12. Partita for solo violin No. 2 in D minor, BWV 1004: 4. Giga
    13. Partita for solo violin No. 2 in D minor, BWV 1004: 5. Ciaconna
    14. Menuet, BWV Anh. 114 & 115

11. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying some old school Chopin playing. Koczalski's teacher, Karol Mikuli, was a student of Chopin's.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  12. George P

[​IMG]

More Bach today after work!

vanhooserd and Wes H like this.
  13. Ron Stone

Ron Stone Offending Member

I picked up a couple Telarc warhorses on the cheap, piggybacking them on a used CD order: Orff's CARMINA BURANA and Mozart's REQUIUM. What the heck, I always like their stuff, even if I have the same repertoire from another label.

Good Lord, these two Telarc recordings are phenomenal sounding. The Orff in particular knocked my socks off with its dynamics, and it's not like I haven't heard other performances of this piece. Why doesn't every disc recorded since the mid-eighties sound as good as these discs from the dawn of CDs? It's almost hard to reach for anything except the Telarc when perusing my classical shelves.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  14. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

:edthumbs:
    Now on to Volume Two?

15. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I quite agree! I've always been impressed with the quality of every Telarc CD and LP that I've bought.

16. George P

Soon, yes. I love that photo of Gould. Like he knows something we don't. A bit sinister, too.

17. George P

The sound quality, for sure, but I've yet to find a single performance on Telarc that I would count among my favorites.

crispi likes this.
  18. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Same here. Except maybe Lorin Maazel's “The Ring without Words”, which is a pretty unique project and still better in my opinion than similar projects that came afterwards.

vanhooserd and George P like this.
  19. drh

drh Talking Machine

On the whole, I lean toward agreeing with George. One or two discs do stand out, however: the Frederick Fennell/Cleveland Symphonic Winds account of Holst's two suites for symphonic wind band springs immediately to mind, and I need to revisit a Chopin recital by Malcolm Frager. I should do likewise with a Saint-Saens "Organ" Sym. under Ormandy (Michael Murry playing the eponymous keyboard instrument). The Telarc "Omnidisk" is a useful tool for setting up a turntable. On the other hand: Unfortunately, by the time Rudolf Serkin came to make records for Telarc, he'd long passed his peak, and Eric Kunzel falls into my "gee, I wish I could like that" category--evidently, he was a very nice guy and a tireless and appealing advocate for classical music, but I must confess I have yet to hear any performance he recorded that struck me as better than mundane.

Wes H and George P like this.
  20. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

One Telarc disc I acquired recently which I think is a good performance is the Busoni Piano Concerto played by Garrick Ohlsson with the Cleveland Orchestra conducted by Von Dohnanyi. Excellent playing on the Bosendorfer piano by Ohlsson. Also, you mentioned Michael Murray and I have a couple of his Bach organ discs on Telarc which I really enjoy. My favorite is "The Young Bach".

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Wes H likes this.
  21. Hedin

Hedin Forum Resident

More Bach this morning. Me thinks the long opening piece Chaconne is magnificent.
    Stokowski wants to swim in Bach' musical ocean, and so do I when I listen to him :)
    [​IMG]

vanhooserd likes this.
  22. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Ha!--yes, he does look a bit sinister in that photo. A great attention-getting shot by Don Hunstein, who took many of (IMHO) the best candid and portrait shots of him. Gould was very comfortable with Hunstein and they worked well together from 1957 until Gould's passing in 1982.

crispi and George P like this.
  23. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I was, of course, primarily speaking of the audio quality. However, I do have a few performance favorites that get played with some frequency. David has already mentioned a couple of these.

This early Telarc LP was a sonic revelation when it first came out; but aside from that, Fennell's delightful performance of the Holst "Suites" is still tops in my book.

[​IMG]

Another great performance on Telarc (also mentioned by David) that is on my "favorites" list is the stirring rendition of the great Saint-Saëns Symphony No.3 with Michael Murray/Eugene Ormandy/Philadelphia Orchestra. I could take this to a desert island as my only version of this symphony and be quite happy. :cool:

[​IMG]

For Beethoven's Symphony No.3, I reach for the performance by Dohnanyi & The Cleveland Orchestra as frequently as Walter, Karajan, or anyone else.

[​IMG]

And for a complete cycle of Mozart Symphonies, I would not hesitate to recommend this Telarc 10-CD box set with Mackerras leading the Prague Chamber Orchestra. They use modern instruments, but their brisk (and not-overly-fast) tempos and sharp musicianship make this set a consistent delight.

[​IMG]

I would not want to be without any of these on my shelf. Then, again, to each his (or her) own. ;)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  24. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Stunning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wes H likes this.