Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Jazzicalit

Jazzicalit In the Tradition

Just bought:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (sung in Italian)

[​IMG]

royzak2000, shnaggletooth and crispi like this.
  2. mBen989

mBen989 Forum Resident

Currently listening to...

BACH: The Art of Fugue/Musical Offering - Sir Neville Marriner/Academy of St. Martin in the Fields

(Philips Classics CD)

[​IMG]

Erik B., layman, royzak2000 and 4 others like this.
  3. George P

George P Lazy Sunbather Thread Starter

So many great recordings in the Philips DUO series!

4. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Forum Resident

Columbia MQ 582, 7-1/2 ips, 4-track reel:

Serkin - Beethoven: Three Favorite Sonatas (Moonlight, Apposionata, Pathetique)

I know that Beethoven dismissed that famous 1st movement of Piano Sonata no. 14, and claimed he didn't understand why it was so popular -- "Surely I've written better things!", or words to that effect.

False modesty concerning a work that for most composers would be their lifetime's crowning achievement, or, ho-hum, just another day at the office for Ludwig van?

Jazzicalit and Wes H like this.
  5. Jazzicalit

Now listening to Antonín Dvořák, Czech Suite, Op. 39
    Czech Philharmonic Orchestra / Libor Pešek

The first movement is pure poetry, and the entire work has an extraordinary delicacy and musicality. :)

[​IMG]

6. George P

This Rowicki set of the symphonies really helped me grow in appreciation of the composer:

[​IMG]

7. Jazzicalit

I did the same with the Erato box that I have recently bought ;). He is mostly known for his 9th Symphony, and I wanted to know better the other numbers. Among his works, I like very much the Tone Poems, the Piano Concerto in Gm op. 33 (wonderful) and the Cello Concerto in Bm op. 104. There is a lot of his chamber music I still have to listen to...!

Marzz and George P like this.
  8. George P

His piano concerto is wonderful. I have the Sviatoslav Richter recording.

Jazzicalit likes this.
  9. drh

drh Talking Machine

Now there's a surprise! I'm sure you'll be astonished that I have it played by Friedrich Wuhrer. :whistle:

Dvorak wrote a lot of lovely music besides the chestnuts that always bob up on the radio. That said, I think it took him a while to find his true voice, and in general later tends to be better with this composer. That's especially true of the string quartets; I bought a complete cycle because I'd never heard any other than the "American" and maybe one or two others, and what I found was the first, oh, say, half of them were not all that appealing. Then they started getting better and better from that point forward.

Marzz, MikeF63 and George P like this.
  10. George P

Conducted by von Karajan? ;)

Was it this set? (I think we discussed this before. . .) I have it, but have not listened to it nearly enough. :hide:

[​IMG]

Marzz likes this.
  11. sound chaser

sound chaser Forum Resident

Just discovered these:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. George P

Have not heard their Haydn, but I love their Schubert.

sound chaser likes this.
  13. drh

drh Talking Machine

Yes, it is, and yes, I think we have. If it makes you feel any better, I can say the same thing about how often I've played it. :oops:

14. George P

One day I will be retired and have all the time in the world for listening. :waiting:

15. Jazzicalit

Great version! ;)

George P likes this.
  16. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying a first spin of this CD.

17. MikeF63

MikeF63 Forum Resident

I couldn't agree more. And the later quartets are written generally with more economy - some of those early ones are about the longest quartets I can recall hearing.

Marzz likes this.
  18. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Agreed and and although rarely mentioned I think his Lieder is fine as well. Have you heard any? For example this Bernarda Fink (with Roger Vignoles) CD on harmonia mundi is wonderful!

https://www.amazon.com/Dvorak-Lieder-Antonin/dp/B0001WECMY

19. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

That's an excellent set George! I agree with @drh above in that "later tends to be better", especially with the String Quartets. In fact, the Panocha Quartet began recording these same string quartets again (starting in 2002), this time for the Camerata label but so far have only chosen qts the later quartets, 8 - 14.
    Speaking of the "American" op.96, the Panocha have recorded this at least 4 times, 3 of them with Supraphon! Not a radical difference between them, imo.

Was going to play something else, but instead now listening to CD6 of this set, with String Quartets 10 ("Slavonic") & 11.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    George P likes this.
  20. drh

drh Talking Machine

...but no money to buy records. :sigh:

;)

21. drh

drh Talking Machine

As long as we are on the subject of Dvorak string quartets, here's a little oddity. Edison was late to the electric recording game, just as with the disk game before it. Eventually Edison did issue a few multi-record sets of complete classical works on electrical diamond discs. The first of these was the Schumann Piano Quintet with E. Robert Schmitz and the Philharmonic String Quartet of New York. The second was the Dvorak "American" quartet, again performed by the Philharmonic String Quartet of New York. By its name that sounds like a studio or pickup group, but it actually was a recognized, established quartet in the concert hall.

The other such sets were the Haydn op. 33-3 quartet (the one known as "The Bird") performed--surprisingly!--by the Roth Qtt. and, most extensive at 4 records, 8 sides, the Schubert first piano trio performed by The New York Trio. If you thought conventional 78 RPM sets were cumbersome, try one made up of four discs, each 1/4 inch thick. A whole inch of shelf space for a single Haydn quartet!

fitzrik, Wes H, George P and 3 others like this.
  22. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Forum Resident

Wow I did not know that CD existed. I need to hear those performances. I have grown to really like the Khachaturian VC.

George P likes this.
  23. drh

drh Talking Machine

Ooops--should have said, for a single Schubert trio. The Haydn quartet takes up only half an inch.... :oops:

crispi likes this.
  24. George P

I recently found out that the Sibelius VC was written for Oistrakh.

25. royzak2000

royzak2000 Forum Resident