Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Beethoven: String Quartets 7 & 8; Op. 59
    Quatuor Ebene
    Erato, 2019
    These were well played.
    [​IMG]

2. dale 88

Heinz Holliger, conductor
    WDR Sinfonieorchester Koln

Robert Schumann
    Symphonies 2 & 3 [vol II]
    Audite, 2014

This is very good. I am going to buy Volume I.

[​IMG]

George P likes this.
  3. dale 88

same cover, different composer -

Alkan: 25 Preludes
    Piano Classics, 2019
    Mark Viner, piano

These seem well done, although I don't have much to compare.
    [​IMG]

Wes H likes this.
  4. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I've been obsessed with this recording for the past couple of days. Normally not a big harpsichord guy but this hits the spot.

[​IMG]
    Bach: French Suites. Masaaki Suzuki, BIS.

bruce2 likes this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Found a used copy of this in a record store last week. After one spin, I am glad I picked it up! Excellent sound and exciting, tension-filled performance.

tomymontana, Klavier, dale 88 and 2 others like this.
  6. likes2listen2beethoven

likes2listen2beethoven Forum Resident

Presto classics has a sale on Audite CDs now

dale 88 likes this.
  7. dale 88

Thank you. I will order thru Presto.

8. likes2listen2beethoven

likes2listen2beethoven Forum Resident

I'm sure you have seen that there is a 6 CD set of the orchestral works for the price of 3 CDs
    Schumann: Complete Symphonic Works

9. dale 88

yes, thanks!

10. George P

[​IMG]

I hope all my Classical homies are safe and doing well.

Now enjoying my favorite Beethoven piano sonata, Op. 110, from the above set. The performance is outstanding!

Thank goodness for music.

11. George P

[​IMG]

Just enjoyed Chopin's third sonata from the above CD. Great beauty in the slow movement and breathless playing in the even numbered movements. Transfers by Ward Marston.
    Thanks for the heads-up, David! :wave:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    dale 88 and Bubbamike like this.
  12. dale 88

Guiseppe Sinopoli
    Staatskapelle Dresden
    Schumann : 4 Symphonies
    DGG, 1995
    2 CDs
    I enjoyed most of this traversal.
    [​IMG]

layman and George P like this.
  13. drh

drh Talking Machine

:tiphat:Glad you liked it!

New Discoveries Dept.: The other night, I was browsing through the music I've transferred to hard drive, and on a whim I called up something I'd never played before: Carter Pann's "Slalom." It came to me on one of the monthly BBC Music Magazine CDs back before the operation's back-office incompetence finally, at least a couple of decades after signing on as a charter subscriber, drove me to let my subscription go. For those of us who play or particularly enjoy the French horn, I commend it to your attention, as the instrument has a prominent part. For the rest, all I can say is that although not ordinarily very sympathetic to "modern" classical music, I found it terrifically virtuosic fun, and although no skier, I can imagine it must be quite evocative of the experience its title describes. Should you happen to seek it out, be forewarned: it opens and closes with a surprise quotation from something a trifle more famous. ;)

[edit] I should note that my goal is to have all, or nearly all, my CDs ripped to hard drive at all times, even those I haven't played and likely won't any time soon. Right now, after some years of being at or close to that blessed state, I'm very far behind, because recently at a CD giveaway party I took three of those big Brilliant boxes: the complete Bach, the complete Mozart (lacking one CD, syms. 35, 36, and 37--not a biggie, as I do have at least a few other recordings of those works), and a Haydn box of similar dimensions; not sure if that last is "complete" or just "extensive," but it is without doubt "huge."

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    cdgenarian and George P like this.
  14. dale 88

I found these for little money and liked them.
    Schumann: Symphonies 1,2,3,4
    Rafael Kubelik
    Symphonie Orchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks
    Sony, 1992
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

J.A.W. and Eigenvector like this.
  15. George P

That essential classics series is wonderful! And those Schumann CDs are no exception. :thumbsup:

dale 88 and Eigenvector like this.
  16. drh

drh Talking Machine

Interesting--he recorded the same works for DG with the Berlin PO--or, at least I assume he did all four; I have only nos. 1, 2, and 4. No. 2 is my least favorite of the syms., largely because I find the slow mvt. overwrought, but the Kubelik/BPO recording is my first choice for that work.

Obligatory "I should revisit" comment....

dale 88 likes this.
  17. JuniorMaineGuide

I was listening to the radio and the deejay was talking about an LP he had of Bruno Walter conducting Beethoven's 5th Symphony and Coriolan overture. I can't find anything like that on the web besides a Japanese CBS LP of the Pastoral and the Coriolan. Does anyone know anything else?

18. drh

drh Talking Machine

He recorded the 5th sym. at least twice, once with the Philharmonic-Symphony Orchestra of New York on 78s and again with the Columbia SO on LP. I would guess the DJ was referring to the latter. I have both: 78 set is MM-498, which I presume is the same as in LP issues ML 4297 and CL 918; my ColSO LP, Columbia ML 5365, does not include the Coriolan Overture--its coupling is sym. 4--but I'm sure the performance would have been reissued and recoupled any number of times.

George P and JuniorMaineGuide like this.
  19. JuniorMaineGuide

Thanks for the info!

George P likes this.
  20. dale 88

It was a recent discussion of the Schumann Second Symphony that caused me to search out the Bavarian Radio Symphony version with Kubelik. For what it is worth, this what a critic said about the Kubelik Bavarian Second Symphony --
    "One reading of this era to have demonstrably improved with age is that by Rafael Kubelik. [1978] If the Bavarian Radio Symphony are not quite the equal of the Berlin Philharmonic, with whom Kubelik recorded his first Schumann cycle (8/65), their responsiveness to his distinctly personal vision is far more tangible. Listen to the codas of the first or third movements for playing that underscores Kubelik's teasing a reticence and vulnerability even out of Schumann's most resolute statements. Rob Cowan's advocacy of this cycle over the decades was not misplaced."

George P likes this.
  21. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

I'm glad he's still making recordings. This is a fine set, although my favorite is still Michael Block's.
    [​IMG]

Eigenvector, George P and dale 88 like this.
  22. dale 88

Michel Block's disc is one of my favorites also.

Klavier likes this.
  23. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

These woefully neglected Trios receive excellent performances and recording quality. He puts all of the musicians through their paces!

[​IMG]

24. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

I listened to Sonata No.19 from this excellent set.

[​IMG]

Sorcerer, Eigenvector and J.A.W. like this.
  25. dale 88

I don't like the recorded sound at all. Whether it is the engineering, the acoustics, the microphones or the harpsichord instrument, these ears find the sound deplorable.
    Pierre Hantai
    Scarlatti: Sonatas/6
    Mirare, 2019
    [​IMG]

George P likes this.