Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the neglected Chopin Sonata for Cello and Piano.

2. drh

drh Talking Machine

I have a different recording of Kirchner's sextet arrangement: Daniel Hoxter, Steinway pno.; John Harding, vln.; Matthias Feile, vlc.--Koch Schwann 3-1365-2 H1 (1995). I don't know the Trio Parnassus account, but I do know that the arrangement is entirely successful, making for some very lovely listening. Am I misremembering that Brahms and Kirchner were friends, or at least solid professional acquaintances? I'm not usually all that enthusiastic about arrangements, but I return to this one with some frequency (I took the disk to work after copying it to my server drive at home).

As to the work as Brahms wrote it, my "go-to" recording is Victor M-296, the Pro Arte Quartet supplemented with violist Alfred Hobday and 'cellist Anthony Pini, recorded in 1935. Although I'd hardly claim to have heard a plethora of modern recordings of the piece (is there even a plethora of modern recordings of the piece?), I have yet to hear one that approached the winning sense of warmth and love these players lavish on it. People often refer to the Brahms sound as "autumnal," and the Pro Arte group has that down cold.

[edit] I should add, if the Trio Parnassus disc lives up to others I've heard on the MD&G label, it should be beautifully recorded.

Wes H likes this.
  3. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

Any particularly exalted RCA Living Stereo recordings anyone would recommend? Are there any hands down 'best of the best' in this series? I don't know where to begin.

4. George P

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. drh

drh Talking Machine

To George's list I would add the Franck Symphony in D Minor, Chicago Sym. under Pierre Monteux. I don't know that it is (or isn't) in the "select few" sonically, but it definitely is as a performance.

thnkgreen and George P like this.
  6. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Two of my favorite performers... Now that's a recording I'd like to hear. Maybe it would improve my appreciation of the Chopin Sonata for Cello & Piano (and the Polonaise for same). So far I've just not been able to warm up to that work. I believe it may largely be due to the one recording I have, which is competently played and recorded, but doesn't inspire. (Pics below.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ian Roberts and George P like this.
  7. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I've not heard either of the recordings you cite, David, but no surprise there. I agree that the trio arrangement of the Sextet is very successful, though I can listen to that work either way. The Trio Parnassus performance is my only recording of the Kirchner arrangement and--your guess is correct--it is an outstanding recording. I think I have about 10 or so MD&G CDs and they are all technically impressive.

As for Brahms' original Sextet composition, I have two recordings. The only one I really listen to is on a 1968 LP from DG, nicely performed by the Amadeus-Quartett, supplemented with Cecil Aronowitz, viola, and William Pleeth, cello. They play with warmth and eloquence, admirably recorded by DG.

[​IMG]

The only other recording I have of this work is in this Vox Box, where the Sextet is performed by the Austrian String Quartet (& buddies). I can't compare, nor comment on it, because I've not had the Vox record on my turntable in over 3 decades. :hide: ...but you've seen my shelves, so I'm sure you're not too surprised.

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, Marzz, crispi and 3 others like this.
  8. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

All good suggestions. I'll throw in one more which is highly respected in the LS series for performance and sonics:

[​IMG]

Geee!, bruce2 and Ian Roberts like this.
  9. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Alina Ibragimova, violin
    Cedric Tiberghien, piano
    Beethoven: Violin Sonatas, vol 3
    Wigmore Hall Live, 2011
    [​IMG]
    A marvelous performance, it arrived today ahead of the first two volumes. I want to hear this again tomorrow.

10. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

George P likes this.
  11. Ian Roberts

Ian Roberts Forum Resident

Good afternoon all. Hope you’re all well. Can I ask for recommendations again please? I’d like to buy JSBach - The Well Tempered Clavier on Harpsichord and as a full set if possible. Not selections but the complete works please. Do any of you good folk have such a set? If so which do you recommend please? Can be Lps or CDs. Thanks very much in advance

12. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I think these discussions are fun :). For me harpsichord recordings are very dependent on the instrument and the recorded sound itself, maybe as important as the interpretation. It just has to sound right to my ears, totally a matter of personal preference. Here are some that hit the sweet spot for me:

My first recommendation is Masaaki Suzuki on BIS (book I was actually recorded for Romanesca and then reissued by BIS), who also conducted their massive Cantatas cycle. The tempos, phrasing, and the mellow, spacious sound of the instrument are just gorgeous. These are slightly expensive, though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

However, there's a recent one that I've enjoyed so much it's on track to be my favorite and my top recommendation: Trevor Pinnock's. I think this is destined to be a classic. The interpretations are warm and genial and each piece is distinctly characterized. Book I has only just been released, but from the sound of it he plans to do Book II as well.

[​IMG]

crispi, dale 88 and Ian Roberts like this.
  13. Ian Roberts

Thank you very much for these recommendations and information. I was actually looking at the Trevor Pinnock earlier today. But as you confirm it’s not the full set, just Book 1. I did start to stream it, and was very much enjoying it. But had to stop for lunch.
    Might look into the Suzuki recording

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  14. drh

drh Talking Machine

A now-long-gone former member of the Hoffman Forums and regular participant in this thread, who had some professional recording experience, once wrote that the harpsichord is an unusually difficult instrument to record well, even more so than the piano. One reason I was slow to adopt CDs was that in their early days harpsichord discs all seemed to have this weird distortion that made the instrument sound utterly unnatural to my ears. It's been years and years since I last heard it, though; perhaps it was a function not of the discs themselves but of my player at the time: a Magnavox, aka Philips under its US trade name; not expensive but then respectably regarded and in fact part of the family that several "high end" producers, like Meridian, took as a foundation for modification and enhancement.

One particularly striking example, albeit not the sole such, was among the first group of discs I bought: George Malcolm playing Scarlatti and Handel on Delos, in fairness an older recording transported from LP to the new medium. I found it utterly unlistenable and after a time sold/traded it at a local store. I now wish I'd kept it; I'd be interested to determine whether it still sounds so bad on my current gear.

15. George P

And even more so to appreciate. :laugh:

16. Ian Roberts

Enjoyed this double cd set earlier. I have nothing else to compare it to, but to my ears it sounds nicely played, with good expression and interpretation. I believe she is highly regarded in this area
    [​IMG]

Geee!, tomymontana and Marzz like this.
  17. drh

drh Talking Machine

:disgust:

:winkgrin:

Thomas Beecham's celebrated quip about skeletons and tin roofs not withstanding, I have always loved the sound of a good harpsichord, especially that rich, sonorous bass that the bigger ones project. I actually own a harpsichord and so have everything I need to fill our house with glorious Baroque keyboard music--except the ability to play it. :sigh:

18. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I had already posted about this magnificent (and occasionally funny) series of lectures by Harnoncourt on the Brandenburg Concertos, but now that all have been posted in most excellent image and sound quality on the AllClassical channel, it‘s worth mentioning them again. These are all available with optional English subtitles on the aforementioned channel, and above you‘ll find the one for the 5th concerto.

Starwanderer likes this.
  19. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Listening now on the TT:[​IMG]

20. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

21. Ian Roberts

Today’s arrivals. Not had chance to clean and play them as yet. Are these recordings any good? At £2 each they were worth chancing it!
    [​IMG]

Starwanderer and Geee! like this.
  22. drh

drh Talking Machine

If you like Karajan. Some do, some don't; you can make your own mind up after listening to him and, preferably, a good cross section of others. One thing is sure: you will find no shortage of Karajan on records!

Ian Roberts and George P like this.
  23. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

That's a superb recording of Beethoven 7.

Ian Roberts and bruce2 like this.
  24. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I think the 5th and 7th you have there are superb, but I do not care for his 6th.

Ian Roberts likes this.
  25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

When were these recorded? Karajan made two analogue Beethoven Symphony cycles for DG, in the 1960s and 1970s.

Ian Roberts likes this.