Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Forum Resident

LP or CD? I like that cover. Maybe that's Liszt. ;)

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

CD

3. Rose River Bear

My box is a re issue. Pretty good remastering though. Not too loud.

George P likes this.
  4. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I don't have access to the original Melodiya or Odyssey pressings. So I am at a loss :ignore: to know what differences there might be. I didn't hear anything too bad, but I might be a little too forgiving for the loss of disc noise.

I would like to have heard the remastered Analogphonic LP set, but I can't find a copy and it is probably out of my price range anyway.
    • Audiophile 180g 3LP-set from Analogphonic
    • First time released as 3LP Box Set edition
    • Mastered from original analogue master tapes of Firma Melodiya
    • Audiophile analogue mastering by Daniel Krieger
    • Cut to lacquers at Schallplaten Schneid Technik GmbH in Germany
    [​IMG]

Rose River Bear likes this.
  5. dale 88

Aulos Music in Korea did a number of remasterings in DSD of Shafran's recordings, but I am unable to locate any of them. In a review of the Aulos cds, here is one reviewer's (Jonathan Woolf) take on the Beethoven cello sonatas.

"The 1971 set of the Beethoven Cello Sonatas, once more with Ginsburg, is housed in a striking red double box set. Performances are perhaps less personalised than some in this series but no less compelling. Right from the veiled introduction to the Adagio sostenuto of Op.5 No.1 we are in the grip of a master cellist. His partnership with Ginsburg is a real partnership and not a flag of convenience, such as was, for example, the ill-matched Piatigorsky-Solomon traversal of the five sonatas. Tempi are flexible, adagios expressive but not glutinous and not over-vibrated even though he deploys a welter of tone colours. In the great A major we can hear rhythmic pull at its best and noble dignity to the phrasing. Articulation of the Scherzo is precise without being at all mannered, the Adagio introduction of the finale being concentrated yet spacious. He brings out the rather Bachian impress of the Andante of the C major even if his playing of the sonata as a whole may alienate some. It’s engagingly personalised playing with moments of arresting poetry and sudden swooping diminuendi, but he’s not always at his best in the higher positions. In the Allegro Vivace section the fugal pages are deft and well aerated and both he and Ginsburg catch the strangeness of this movement, neither submerging it nor codifying it."

6. George P

Sampling some of Katsaris's Rach 3 this morning.

7. dale 88

[​IMG]
    Geoffrey Simon
    Philharmonia Orchestra
    Respighi: Queen of Sheba; Metamorphoseon
    Chandos, 1985
    At the time these were the world premiere recordings.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  8. Rose River Bear

Spinning-
    [​IMG]

dale 88 and George P like this.
  9. drh

drh Talking Machine

Does that happen to include a series of works by Mikhail Glinka--Incidental Music to Prince Kholmski, Kamarinskaya, "Summer Night in Madrid," etc.? If so, there's a good chance it has some of the first music I ever bought on CD, albeit as a single disc on Le Chant du Monde LDC 278-819.

10. Rose River Bear

The Orchestral Pictures disc does not have any works by Glinka. I have the works you mentioned on these two discs. Your post reminded me it had been a while since I listened to those works.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

George P likes this.
  11. dale 88

For me, the best performance on this disc is the Chamber Symphony Op.110a (transcribed by Rudolf Barshai from String Quartet No. 8). It is conducted by Yuli Turovsky who was part of the Borodin Trio.

Shostakovich: Chamber Symphony Op. 110a
    Concerto No. 1 for Piano, Trumpet and Strings.

I Musici de Montreal
    Yuli Turovsky, conducting the Chamber Symphony
    Maxim Shostakovich, conducting the Concerto
    Chandos, 1985

[​IMG]

George P likes this.
  12. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying some Rachmaninoff.

dale 88 and Eigenvector like this.
  13. Rose River Bear

Is that the same recording as heard on the old EMI issues?
    [​IMG]

14. George P

15. Rose River Bear

George P likes this.
  16. peerless1

peerless1 Active Member

A complete Milstein set would be a massive undertaking and may not even be possible considering rights to individual recordings.
    Here is a recent updated(?) discography. I am the 'original' copywriter.
    Nathan Milstein's recordings & discography - Youngrok Lee's Music page

Most recordings are available through on source or another.

George P likes this.
  17. George P

[​IMG]

Enjoying some Mozart this morning. CD 1 from the above set, which contains Symphonies 21-25. The sound is excellent and the playing is light and lovely.

Eigenvector likes this.
  18. George P

[​IMG]

Saw this superb documentary on the life of Chopin today. Highly recommended!

19. George P

[​IMG]

Inevitably, now enjoying some Chopin. Haven't heard this CD in awhile, as it is perhaps not an absolute top favorite (Tipo (live) and Moravec occupy this spot) for these works, but his are a close second.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  20. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Mozart's string quartets K. 155-172.

Eigenvector likes this.
  21. George P

I knew he wasn't old when he wrote these works, but I didn't realize just how young he was. Only 16-17 years old! :eek:

WaterLemon likes this.
  22. drh

drh Talking Machine

The really scary kid, however, was Felix Mendelssohn--at that same age, he wrote the string octet and the Midsummer Night's Dream overture, both fully mature works. He found his voice very early, and it stayed with him for the rest of his brief life. Even the prolific Schubert's talents didn't come to fruition that quickly, although he did write his Erlkonig setting at age 17 or 18.

WaterLemon and George P like this.
  23. George P

[​IMG]

Sampling this set now on Spotify, I am surprised to find it appears to be entirely made up on audience recordings. And not just that, the sound seems to have been excessively processed so the sound sounds rather unnatural. As a result, I think I will be passing on this one.

24. drh

drh Talking Machine

I ordered the set, and my copy arrived a couple of days ago. I just copied the first disc (Schubert sonatas in a and A) to my "server" last night and plan to play it tonight or tomorrow. According to the program notes, the recordings were all made by a single "fan"--perhaps one more exemplifying that term's etymology, a fanatic--a physical therapist and rhythmic gymnastics instructor who assembled elaborate notebooks of Annie Fischer photos and performance memorabilia and made a practice of attending all Mme. Fischer's performances in reach with a cassette recorder hidden in a gym bag that she'd bring along and stash under her seat. Hence the title "Secrets." If I remember correctly from my brief skim of the notes, the results were hundreds and hundreds of hours of tapes, a goodly number described as falling below the level of commercially releasable even with heroic intervention. Hungaroton has already issued one compilation from them, and this is another, both devoted to what I guess are the "better" tapes. Apparently the lady was in the habit of sitting in "organ" seats, behind the stage and hence on the wrong side of the piano lid.

I also got my Katsaris set that I mentioned some posts back, but I haven't even opened that one yet. Among other things, I'm in the throes of dealing with a mess (I use the term advisedly) of 78s and a few LPs that dropped into my lap recently, some from my daughter's former singing teacher and most from the estate of a collector friend who passed away earlier this year. As my daughter puts it, "This year sucks." But some interesting things in there, including acoustic recordings of Elly Ney and Una Bourne.

George P likes this.
  25. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the above 2CD set. I have long been an admirer of these performances but had never had the opportunity to own the original mastering until yesterday when I found this set for a great price!

layman likes this.