Collecting Live Yes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BillyMacQ, Nov 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident Thread Starter

YEAH! Best post of the day. Nice work.

That is a lot of listening to one band!

tug_of_war likes this.
  2. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Please enlighten. Does it assert to be an undoctored warts 'n all presentation, and that tapes were wholly complete and requiring no patches? Honestly curious, as I've only purchased the comp.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  3. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The complete 14 CD set definitely has warts. Also, unlike the 2 CD "highlights" compilation, it has Jon's between-song banter. Plus an amusing Spinal Tap moment when Rick's Mellotron picks up a local radio station. There are fluffed notes, dropped vocals, there's one performance of "Yours Is No Disgrace" where Steve plays the "okay I'm done with my solo" guitar figure that cues the rest of the band to come back in (check it out, it's there on every performance) but he either plays it too early or the others aren't listening, so he stumbles back into the solo. During "Firebird Suite" on one performance, you hear either Steve or Chris saying "Jon . . . Jon . . . " which makes me think he was late getting onstage.

ARK likes this.
  4. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Absolutely. One listen will tell you that this being anything other than the raw show tapes is pretty unlikely. There's certainly no "train wreck with the record player still running" as described above. Yeesh.

SRC likes this.
  5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember someone saying "get Jon up." It could be a roadie saying there was something wrong with Jon's mic, or else he may have been late arriving as you suggest.

ARK likes this.
  6. SJB

I wouldn't say there are any train wrecks in the Progeny set - the liner notes mention a 1976 show we'll never hear because it "was a pretty sour night" - but there are enough warts to make it apparent that there hasn't been airbrushing. Yessongs used the same tapes, but with a fair amount of studio "sweetening" that is absent from Progeny.

7. There are some great live tapes from Yes out there. I scurry around like a mad elf to find them all.

Daryl M, rayd88d and Sydster like this.
  8. Grassy Sound

Grassy Sound Hopeful yet discontent.

Apart from the lead vocals, most of Leave It was lip-synched on the 90125 tour.

9. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Or more likely: They sang along with the backing tape.

10. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

My comments were in specific reference to the Close to the Edge tour in 1972.

11. Grassy Sound

Nope. They pretended to by having Alan White & Tony Kaye lip synch. A tape was also used for the vocal intro to Rhythm Of Love when played live, though, in that instance, they usually DID sing along with the tape.

12. Grassy Sound

A good Big Generator recording is a board source from Oakland, CA: February 27, 1988. Complete show, no edits.

bobloblaw likes this.
  13. JohnDamascene

JohnDamascene Active Member

I was at the two shows at the Boston Gardens, August 30 and 31, 1978. The first night was good, but the second night was better - the attack was sharper, quicker, more intense. Check out the recordings online. Just because it is the same set doesn't mean it is the same. Do your homework and seek out the better shows.

Spadeygrove and ytserush like this.
  14. Shaka

Shaka Active Member

Thanks really a lot, great work

Spadeygrove likes this.
  15. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

which are the YES concerts not fully published of the 70's , which are known for having a multi track source (or a very good source) and could be officially made ? As Atlantic as published "yesshows", "the word is live" and two live tracks on "yes classics" , i guess they have sources for the whole concerts of cobo hall /detroit 76 , rotterdam 77, wembley 78 (the most known boot), etc. ?

16. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

The Wembley was recorded for BBC, so Yes would have to licence it from Beep. I hope they would, because it's fantastic. The best Yes live album that never was.

Nobody seems to know about the faith of the other "Yeshows" multitrack recordings. The tapes are either lots, misplaced or destroyed.

17. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

thanks for your informations, Doctor ;) . maybe somebody else has more information about those others lost/misplaced/destroyed tapes ?

18. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

I recorded that concert at the time - it was the first edition of Tommy Vance's Friday Night Rock Show. I remember the show started with what sounded like the beginning of Close Encounters film music then Rick Wakeman's keyboards came in. Unfortunately the cassette became unplayable many years ago. Definitely would love to have it formally released.

Doctor Flang likes this.
  19. Antmanbee

Antmanbee Mental Toss Flycoon

Plenty of very good boots available of the Wembley 78 show. Try YesSongs website for downloads.
    YesSongs - Home

I too am hoping for an official release of this concert, with the songs restored that were cut for broadcast due to time constraints (Future Times-Rejoice, Madrigal, Wakeman solo), not least because I was at that concert, and the matinee show that preceded it.
    I'm also hoping that there'll be more archive releases of full concerts akin to the Progeny set.
    I have the two Like It Is sets and Topographic Drama, for completisms' sake, but I find them unlistenable/unwatchable.

jay.dee likes this.
  20. SJB

Concert Vault has a stream of the Wembley show.
    Yes - Oct 28, 1978

walrus likes this.
  21. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

The vox On that sound pretty good, but they are definitely using some of the studio tracks as backing to fill the sound. Eddie Jobson never played live
    Violin with the band. ;) Its well known they carried an extra synth player backstage for at least that tour.

22. Antmanbee

Antmanbee Mental Toss Flycoon

And I still have two cassette recordings I did myself, the original broadcast in 1978, and a re-broadcast in the mid-80s. I generally prefer a physical recording rather than a stream or download

23. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

I don't know if it has been discuss before, but i have 2 different versions on CD of "An Evening of Yes Music Plus". The first is from 1993 (DISKY DC 865762 ) and the second from 2006 (GONZO HST025CD ) with 2 bonus tracks (i've seen all good people, starship trooper). I don't know the DR for each, but i prefer the second one , more punchy (maybe more brickwalled too ?), but obviously the equalization is not the same. There is no information about who did the job excepted "re-issue executive producer rob ayling" on the CDs from Gonzo. Any informations about this editions ?

24. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

what is this vault ? what kind of stream quality is it ?

25. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I don't have all the details but there was also this release from 1994 that included Starship Trooper. I remember it well, because I had only just gotten the 1993 version shortly before I came upon this other version with the one additional track, and at the time I was quite disappointed that it would be released that way so soon from the original version.

Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe - An Evening Of Yes Music Plus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.