Comicbook movie fatigue anyone?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael Rose, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I feel like you kind of spoke for me here. I agree on every point.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  2. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Truth is you could say this about pretty much any action movie and I can't really think of one of which you can't say it. None of this is exclusive to comic book films where at least they've invented some sort of reason which would explain this kind of thing.

3. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

I want to see a film series detailing the aftermath of the events of comic book movies - you know, Congress debating FEMA money for destroyed cities, politicians exploiting superheros for personal gain, political posturing etc.

That would keep my attention.

Graham and BeatleJWOL like this.
  4. spindly

spindly Forum Resident

I never read comic books (MAD Magazine only!) and I don't care for comic book movies, and I thought Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse was wonderful.

Bingo Bongo and Chris DeVoe like this.
  5. No. Only with bad comic book movies.

joannenugent and bamaaudio like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The only comic books I read are Underground Comix like R. Crumb, and I thought Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse was wonderful as well.

spindly likes this.
  7. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident Thread Starter

Gotta admit, Marvel studios 2018 output has been better than I thought. These flicks I bypassed in theaters but watched on Netflix; Thor:Ragnarock, Black Panther, and Infinity War. Three really fun and entertaining films. Even my wife, who is not a comicbook person, enjoyed them.

joannenugent likes this.
  8. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Not Me, I wish they would pump them out at a faster rate, I ain't getting any younger and I'm a completist!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  9. Michael Rose

:laughup:

10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Since saying this I took the time to watch all the Marvel Universe films I had previously failed to watch (aside from the first two Thors) to get caught up before watching "infinity War". Overall, I like the films, some more than others, but none of them totally stink (though Iron Man 3 is a tough watch). I attempted to watch Dr. Strange a second time after thinking I liked it the first time around and just couldn't finish it. Too hard to follow. Maybe I was in the wrong state of mind. I'll have to try again someday.

I wasn't crazy about Age of Ulton at all either, but got through it (I think... I can't remember how it ended!!??). Civil War was good. Thor Ragnarok was fun (maybe a little too fun). I was lukewarm on the first Ant Man but though Ant Man and The Wasp was one of the best MCU films ever. I found it very entertaining. I even watched it two more times with my five year old, who also enjoyed it. Pleasantly surprised. Black Panther was good, but I don't think it really ranks higher than the average MCU film. Its getting nominations but I think Avengers Infinity War is a superior film. This also makes me wonder why films such as the first Iron Man and Captain America- Winter Soldier didn't get nominated, as I thought both of those were very well done as well.

I found Infinity War very effective. I didn't think they could pull off a film with this many characters running around but somehow it worked. It helped that I'm a Guardians of the Galaxy fan and they probably had more screen time than the Avengers themselves. I felt genuine sadness at certain characters' demises (even though I know damn well they are all coming back). Poor little Spidey. *sniffle*

I am concerned about the future of Captain America, but perhaps this MCU business has run it's course. After the next Avengers film it might be time to get off the bus and leave on a positive note before things start to inevitably take a downward turn. There's been 20 films, surely they can't keep up this level of quality forever. . But anyway... not fatigued, but then I don't go to the theater, I just have to buy a blu-ray a couple times a year (usually second hand!). Keep them coming. I'm hoping for the best from Captain Marvel. And where the hell is Adam Warlock!??!?!?

11. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

Spider-Man 2017 deals with destruction clean up and wasn't the whole plot of Captain America 3 about political fallout over destruction. This stuff has been covered more than you might assume.

seed_drill, joannenugent and SRC like this.
  12. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Not enough for this guy.

13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

joannenugent and SRC like this.
  14. Michael Rose

Osato likes this.
  15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I worry that practically the entirety of the MCU storylines are basically based on stories that are over a decade old! Nothing inherently wrong with that as the quality level of the writing in current comic books is abysmal. But I wonder, with all this talk about the 'old guard' retiring, if they'll try to bring current stories to the screen. If the movies start to reflect the current Marvel universe, I don't know, maybe they'll make feature films starring a b-list actress playing a c-list superhero!?;)

16. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

No, but not having further Stan Lee cameos is very sad. It's always a brief but fun communal theater experience when everyone claps or reacts to his drop-ins.

17. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Heck, I couldn't even watch the Yellow Submarine movie. Yes there is a comic book!!!!

18. I never thought this day would come, but I've finally accepted that I'm now past the point of being burned out when it comes to modern day comic book film adaptations, and in retrospect, I probably reached this stage a while ago - it just took me a while to accept it... Between the sheer frequency of movies that Marvel's been releasing and the generally bleak DCEU just not being my idea of escapist entertainment, I began to quickly fall out of the loop around two years ago. I'll almost certainly play catch-up with the MCU at some point (for the record, the last new titles I watched were Captain America: Civil War and Justice League), but short of a more optimistic total reboot, I'm done with anything live action from DC/WB, plus I have absolutely no intention of sitting through the countless Marvel television shows. When I want a superhero fix these days, I'll regularly turn to one of the genuine classics that's held up, which is more than I can imagine many people ever saying of anything touched by the visionary genius of Zack Snyder in a hurry. Marvel have enjoyed a few great moments, though I have one legitimate criticism of their entire series to date: is there a single feature within this universe that has a theme you could hum to a complete stranger in the same way as the vintage Christopher Reeve era Superman and get a nod of shared recognition? By contrast, DC leans too heavily on the Hans Zimmer school of repetitive, tribal drumming and electronic babbles in the background rather than anything with a greater melody. Bring back John Williams or even Danny Elfman!

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) - a money making machine with no end in sight. Also there's Deadpool, X-Men, Wolverine, Spider-Man (Sony), Venom, The Punisher, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Blade and probably a few others I'm missing, exhausted just thinking about it and then you have DC!!! It's too much for me.

MCU
    Coming up in 2019

Captain Marvel
    Avengers: Endgame
    Spider-Man: Far from Home

20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Weren't the destroyed cities in Man of Steel why Batman determined that Superman needed to be eliminated in Batman vs. Superman? I mean, I didn't see either but I've read enough about them to gather that. Of course, in Superman II, Christopher Reeve's Superman fled to lure Zog and party out of the city.

I think collateral damage was also the reason superheroes were outlawed in The Incredibles. Can't remember if that was why they had been banned in The Watchmen.

Osato likes this.
  21. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I don't know, and of course its infantile and silly to even discuss BUT....isn't blaming the heroes for the destruction caused by their enemies akin to blaming firefighters for the fire!? Just sayin'!;)

22. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I thought I was really sick and tired of super character movies around when X-Men 3 and some Batman movies really seemed kind of lame to me, but then I saw a few good ones, and then some more good ones, and so it's not the super characters themselves...

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I guess the argument is that the heroes create a lot of the damage as well due to the violence of the fights in which they engage.

You can argue it's more important for Superman to stop Zod at any cost even if this destroys buildings, but it's still Superman's actions that cause a lot of the damage...

24. If Superman doesn't stop Zod, human civilization as we know it is over. Superman sacrificed one city to save the entire planet.

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I agree - just saying that the damage wasn't solely caused by the villain.

It's not like Zod smashed up stuff and Supes didn't. Again, one can argue the damage was justified, but Supes still caused a lot of it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.