Coming to the US: Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 Hi-Res Disc Player with stereo analog outputs $999.00*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

Unplug the HDMI cable?

2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

3. Still hoping for the UDP-LX800 to be exported to the U.S.

It is now listed on the Pioneer EU website, so apparently it is (or will be) sold outside of Japan and Taiwan:

UDP-LX800 | Pioneer

ti-triodes, soundboy and 56GoldTop like this.
  4. soundboy

Billy Budapest likes this.
  5. But still, I wonder why the choice in a TOTL player of ESS ES9026 DACs instead of ES9038 or even ES9028?

6. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

That review really annoyed me as it’s all waffle and no substance for the found quality which is the reason one might buy it!

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I ignore just about all online A/V publication reviews. I'd rather read reviews from trusted members here and on a few other A/V sites. I'm more interested in reading reviews of the Pioneer LX-500/800 from those that have owned the Oppo 105/205. The overall sound quality impressions are of course important. But what I focus in on is the feature set and daily usability. I've become used to Oppo players and their feature set and daily ease of use.

I bought a mint Sony XA5400ES from a trusted member here awhile back. The 5400 was an excellent sounding player (analog) with CDs and SACDs. Better sounding than the 105 I owned at the time. The differences were subtle but there none the less. But the lack of a few basic features the biggest being playback resume after stopping a disc was a deal breaker. What I've read about the LX-500 over at AVS from former or current Oppo owners is that it has some quirks. Maybe not deal breakers for some but at $999 they would be for me. The LX-800 if it's sold in the US would probably have a price of $2k or higher. Too rich for me.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-...p-lx-500-800-owners-thread-no-price-talk.html

PhantomStranger likes this.
  8. soundboy

9. It's clear from the review that the LX500 doesn't output DSD natively via HDMI, what is unclear is if it also converts it to PCM for internal D/A conversion.

10. Jerry Snead

Jerry Snead Forum Resident

Just ordered a Modwright UDP-LX500

Billy Budapest and Blair G. like this.
  11. lapepalz

lapepalz Forum Resident

Does anyone know if it supports MQA-CD?

12. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

Congrats! I think you'll enjoy it. I've had mine for a few weeks now and its very smooth and detailed. Nice job by Dan, again!

13. soundboy

Page 42 of the owner's manual says otherwise.

Operating Instructions

PhantomStranger likes this.
  14. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Just curious - what does it do that the stock player can't or what does it improve on in your estimation? Does it improve picture quality too?

And I just looked on the Modwright site, it says "Price: $1500 (Modification Only)' --- does that mean the mod is $500, where you get the $999 player and mods for $1500? Or you buy a $999 player and $1500 for the mods for $2500 total?

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

It means the mod is $1500.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  16. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

My LX-500 is strictly used for audio playback but Dan's mods do not impact picture quality afaik - its strictly an audio upgrade. I only had this for about a week or two before getting it to Dan for mods, but he's done what he did for my Sony SACD player years ago - given me more smoothness in the mids.

The $1500 price is for the mods only. You have to supply the player and have it shipped to him. With my Sony I had it shipped directly to him from the dealer. He wasn't doing the LX-500 mods yet when I bought it, so shipped it out to him myself after having it in my system for a little while.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  17. Is this mod tube based?

DigMyGroove likes this.
  18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

19. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Used a LX500 for a few weeks now as my Oppo broke down twice & audio is excellent with cd/sacd
    Main use is for movies & picture with UHD blurays on my Sony 4k project is truly outstanding

Khorn, Rocketstail and Brother_Rael like this.
  20. Rocketstail

Rocketstail Forum Resident

Billy Budapest likes this.
  21. Rocketstail

Rocketstail Forum Resident

It now looks like that page has been changed and they now *don't* sell a DIY mod to make LX500 multi-region. :rolleyes:
    Apparently too many people couldn't install the mod correctly and did damage to their players.
    It would seem logical that if you aren't familiar with soldering or doing any electronic work you would take it to someone who does :agree:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I ordered an LX500 yesterday to replace an inexpensive Sony BDP-S770 from several years back. This is mainly to upgrade Blu-Ray audio. Are there any other options for Blu-Ray universal players in the U.S. now?

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

McIntosh makes a real nice one.:agree: $$$$

24. Yes, Sony's UBP X-1100 ES, but I don't like how Sony UHD BD players looks,their chroma upsampling and overall picture quality pales in comparison with Panasonic's UHD BD players.
    If you're not going to play SACD's I suggest you to have a look at Panasonic catalogue and have a look at his UHD BD players range.

soundboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.