Compact floorstander recommendations? Spendor A2/A4?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kdl6769, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdl6769

kdl6769 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am in the market for compact floorstanders, ideally for not too much more than $2000 (and hopefully less), to pair with solid state Naim amplification and a turntable. The challenge for me is that the listening space is quite narrow (about 10 feet across and 20 feet long), and placement near walls/corners will be hard to avoid. I am focused more on floorstanders than standmounts mainly for aesthetic reasons, but also because I don't want to deal with a sub (although I am not bass-crazed). Music is all over the board, but focus is a lot of jazz and acoustic music. Had my eye on Spendor's A2/A4 line, but not sure how fussy they are about placement given they are rear ported. Also looking at ProAc DT8 but wonder if that is too heavy duty for my needs and could overpower the room. Any suggestions welcome. My ability to audition is very limited. Thanks.

2. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

The A4s seem to have quite a controlled bass and a very open mid/treble. I think in difficult circs they'd be a safer bet than the Proacs. The last Proacs I had at home were D18s and I wasn't so keen on the bass. I've always liked Proac standmounts though, or the floorstanders with more space around them.

3. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

These new Dali Oberon 7 wowed a bunch of us at RMAF with unbelievable bass and clarity for their size. $1,400/pair.

[​IMG]DSC_0036 by MDTshots, on Flickr

billnunan and johnnypaddock like this.
  4. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

My listeningroom is not much wider (12' by 22') and have excellent results with Silverline Preludes as well as a pair of MMGs. I also use Totem Model 1s (with Storm sub) by they're stand mounted and that's not what you're asking. All three stay in regular rotation and placed away from the walls enough with a little toe-in.

5. Helom

Helom Forum member

Those Spendors are not finicky about placement. About 10" between the wall and speakers should be plenty. It's not so much port location as it is port tuning frequency that leads to boomy bass anyhow.

The Tannoy XT6Fs are a good alternative, though they can be boomy in some rooms.

Another speaker I liked recently is the Martin Logan Motion 40 - not as good as the A4s, but half the price.

6. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Those look really nice.

7. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

You might want to check out Ascend Acoustics... They sell direct to consumer and the Sierra Tower fits your budget, with a 30 day home trial. I had a pair for years and they sounded great with a number of different amps. They are extremely room friendly as well and I never had issues if they were close to the walls. Nice controlled bass with beautiful midrange.

Sierra Tower Bamboo Loudspeaker

8. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I’ve been hearing really good things about SVS’s new line of tower speakers. If they are indeed that good, they would be a great value.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.