Compensating for The Beatles Singles Collection

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Paul K, Jun 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member Thread Starter

If one wanted to right the wrongs of the Beatles Singles Collection wrt the mono tapes being played back on a stereo head, could one combine the two channels in an edit program or just select one of the channels and isolate it with the same program to achieve some sort of non-phaseness?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

First of all, please name the exact songs you are speaking of..

3. Paul K

I know about the problems due to use of wrong tapes etc... I mean the proper mono mixes of the singles until they become stereo at "The Ballad of John And Yoko"

What I mean is those after "Please Please Me" and before "The Ballad".

Or is it a case by case basis with every song?

Thank you Steve.

4. Steve Hoffman

It's only a few songs.

LOVE ME DO and PS I LOVE YOU can be taken off the EP CD box.

Nothing can be done for PLEASE PLEASE ME and ASK ME WHY; too much added echo.

I don't think there are any others...

You should have the EP CD box though; it has some killer stuff on it..

5. Paul K

I understand but should one combine the channels (when configuring a cd burn of all the tunes on a couple of discs) or should they select one and make that the mono signal.

That is what I am trying to figure out. How do you deal with this box? (besides chuck it out the window! I remember that quote!)

6. Paul K

And yeah I do have the EP box! Yer right. Killer all the way!

7. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

I love my EP CD box!

:righton:

Cheers!
    Norm

8. Steve Hoffman

I guess I don't understand the original question. Why would you want to combine the channels when doing a dub? Just transfer as is; the channels already were combined and the damage was done. Use the EP versions but don't combine.

'Splain, Lucy!

9. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

You can't separate out the phase problems - they were made un-fixable when the channels were recombined to mono. If it hadn't been recombined to mono you could select one of the two channels and get a clean signal.
    Hopefully I understand the question and concept correctly.

10. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

That's right. The phase problem was created when they combined the track to mono... well, it was there in stereo but combining sealed it in the audio in an unrepairable form.

11. Steve Hoffman

Which is why I mentioned using the EP CD box versions. It has problems but not THOSE problems.

12. Paul K

Oh I get it.
    Now my brain is turning on. I thought they just left it as a stereo signal playing back a mono tape. I didn't realize that this nonsense had happened already with them combining the right and left channel.

Thanx for the answers. More screwy than previously thought!

13. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

You might want to do a bit of a level boost on "Baby You're a Rich Man", though-- it's mastered at a particularly low volume on the CD single.

-Kevin

14. daviddaniel

daviddaniel Forum Resident

singles and ep boxes

I finally got tHese two jewels and enjoy them; what are the prolems, the ep box sounds great to me?
    I agree about the first two single cds and the rest is great a little harsh sometimes but what kick in Paperbackwriter for ex!!

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

It sits right next to my Singles Box, a perfect marriage! Why would one chuck it? It's cute!

16. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I just got the EP box a few weeks ago. Overall, I'm very happy with it, the entire Long Tall Sally ep kicks butt! It's also great to have those Help! and Rubber Soul songs are in beautiful MONO.

Maybe it's just me, but the early songs sound weird, especially the songs from the Please Please Me album - it sounds like they sucked out some of the midrange and boosted the bass.

Also, it seems like the very beginning of And I Love Her is clipped.

17. daviddaniel

daviddaniel Forum Resident

Hi, THe early songs from what i read and from what i heard were remasrterd from other source n hence the better sound.

I dont know about the clipping I'll check

I like the Help mono songs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.