Component Mass Loading and Dampening

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TubeMon, Sep 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TubeMon

TubeMon Well-Known Member Thread Starter

The concepts of mass loading and internal damping of stereo gear is often overlooked and underappreciated.
    First, massive shelving units should be utilized.
    I use the Mapleshade Samson Racks. They are TANKS!
    These racks are spiked through a thick carpet into the cement floor

FTR, I use 100% ModWright products.
    All my components and speakers have heavy weights placed on top of them (usually Lead and Brass).
    The total weight ranges from 25-50 lbs.
    I use brass cones underneath to prevent lateral shifting.
    These cones interface with 2-4” Maple Plinths which are further isolated from the actual Maple Shelves by using dampening devices. Also utilize some Sorbothane footers to further dampen self generated component vibrations.
    In addition, my CD Player and Pre Amp have inverted cones on the top of the chassis. I tighten my adjustable shelving which sandwich and squeeze the components between shelves.
    The component does not move in any direction. Period!
    My Amp uses a floor plinth arrangement with heavy weights on top.

The next step is to deaden the chassis and internal components to the maximum extent possible. I use Noico 80 mil Car Sound Deadening Material on the unit’s internal sides, bottom and top, in multiple sheets where it is feasible. I also dampened any component or part which would accept a treatment. Transformers and CD Drives for instance.
    Added silicon rings and brass hexnut “crowns” to my small signal tubes.
    So far I’ve treated my Amp and CD player.
    Will do the Pre Amp in the near future.

Finally, I placed a dab of RTV on the top of every capacitor I could reach. Caps are probably the most sensitive component to vibration.

A lot of people seem to think mass loading and component damping can take the life out of the music.
    My experience has shown that this is not the case.
    The above tweaks have GREATLY elevated the sound quality, imaging and soundstage in my system.
    The bass is super tight, articulated and thunderous.
    I actually had to reduce the volume of my subwoofers.
    All this was especially evident after I treated the CD Player.
    This is the logical place to start such treatments.

Admittedly, quite a bit of manhours are required to undertake this project. But the rewards are WELL worth it!

Bolster, 33na3rd and 2channelforever like this.
  2. I agree that mass loading & damping can offer big & as in your case of CDP damping positive changes. I've used RTV on as many caps as I could get to, on the integrated amp too, & added 3 or 4 pounds of Mortite to the interior & outside base of the CDP, even packed around the interior junctions with the RCA outs, on the integrated too, & very judiciously the CD transport itself. I too don't notice it taking the life out of the music, in fact, just the opposite. The biggest surprise for me has been the expansion of the soundstage, especially the depth.

33na3rd likes this.
  3. TubeMon

Hmmm.
    The next time I open one of these units up, I will try your Mortite tweak!

2channelforever likes this.
  4. TubeMon

Almost forgot.
    Also use Tekna Sonic Vibration Absorbers attached to the side panels.

5. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

I use 2 Herbies Supersonic Stabilizers on top of each component. They really made a big improvement in sound quality, especially the phono preamp.

2channelforever likes this.
  6. I use a couple Herbies Supersonic Stabilizers atop the CDP, Herbies Tall Tenerfoots supportong the CDP on an Ikea Aptlig Chopping Board with Herbies Fat Dots between the it & the equipment rack shelf. I found that softer pads under the Aptlig smeared or deadened the sound but the stiffer Fat Dots were just right.

7. Are the absorbers on your speakers or components?

8. TubeMon

On all speakers and components...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.