Component(s) of your audio system that are "end game" and you don't have the urge to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheVinylAddict, Mar 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

My newest components are both from 2017 my dac and speakers. My preamp and amp I've both had for over 10 years now and very happy with everything in my system. Not sure if everything is "end-game" but I feel no need whatsoever to upgrade anything.

Daring likes this.
  2. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Ditto - exactly.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  3. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

This thread puts me in a very melancholy mood. Like some other folks here I was born shortly after WWII and I am the classic "Boomer" that some young people refer to in a derogatory way. I am now in my 70's and my wife and I never had children and I am the last member of my immediate paternal family still living. We own our house and our cars and we buy nothing on credit ( I do use a credit card but I pay it off every 30 days ). We both collect a pension that I know is better than many people have and we have good 401K's that we are drawing down as slowly as the law allows. My wife has always pressured me not to spend as much as I do on my stereo system. I am saying all of this so you have background on what I say below.

About four years ago I made the decision to do one last upgrade on my system so that it would be the best I could sensibly afford and would, in all probability, outlast my useful life (meaning I either die, go to a nursing home or become so deaf that I have no ability to enjoy my audio system anymore). Given my wife's concerns, I shopped around for demo deals, trade-ins and one incredible deal on a used amp that a dealer was selling. About 8 or 9 months ago the last upgrade was done and all of the following are now upgraded: TT, tonearms, cartridges, transport, DAC, preamp, phono preamp, power amp and speakers. You can go to my profile to see what is in my system. Since I have upgraded I listen to music on my "end-game" system almost every day and I still get goosebumps when I hear it. :)

My "boomer" advice to all you younger people is get the best system that you can sensibly afford as soon as you can. It will be worth every penny that you spend on it.

4. Daring

Daring My quest to marry Stevie Nicks has failed

MA252 JBL studio 590s NAD 1050 and my Fortes.. Oh and a Technics sl-d2. Im pretty content but would love to hear the new Wharfedale 80th. They are beautiful on the matching stands.

jonwoody likes this.
  5. pez

pez Forum Resident

Whilst my system is better than most I know (I don’t know many audiophiles!) it is still at the lower end.

I’d still love a top end Rega or Technics deck over my planar 2,
    I’d still love a Music Fidelity power amp set up over my Marantz pm6006 U.K., and a set of big Cura floorstanders over my Mission 752’s, and better wires. On a nurses wage this is the best I can do for now and I am happy with it.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  6. Tourswede

Tourswede Forum Resident

Audio Note IQ3 mm cart! Does everything I looked for other carts to do for years.

7. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I agree 100% on buy the system, I only wish I had my system 15 years ago. I too have bought my “last” system, I’m 66 and retiring next year. Unfortunately, once I retire extravagant purchases with be a thing of the past.
    By the time I retire my house will be paid off. Unfortunately, my pension is small so it’ll be a combination of SS and pension. I would like to leave our savings to the kids but we’ll see how that works out.
    We do hope to downsize by the time we are 70, so one system will have to go with about 4000 records snd cd’s. I figure that keeping about 2500-3000 lp’s and 2000 cd’s should be more than enough music.

Echoes Myron and No Static like this.
  8. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

A slightly different angle...

I definitely don't have end-game components but a confluence of (personal) events have helped to clarify where I'm at. When the November sales hit (only 3 months away), I'm hoping to get my end-game speakers with the max budget being GBP £2,995.00 - to replace Monitor Audio Gold 100 5g which have never quite done it for me. That doesn't mean the replacements have to be at that level; it's just the absolute max. In the event of the end-game turning out to be not end-game after all, the "moment of clarity" is that I shall never again spend more than £1,000 on any component, barring a lottery win or similar. An on-paper dream of sorts is to have Dynaudio Special 40s with "a Luxman" integrated amp. Circumstances mean the Luxman is a distant and improbable option so maybe one of the Yamaha A-Sx200 range is more realistic. For me, that would be the potential end game but, of course, there is no guarantee that those components would work particularly well together. I really hope to be able to find out and that it doesn't turn out to be a(nother) very painful case of buyer's regret.

If/when matters progress further, I may post again (new thread perhaps) - that's not intended to be a threat... :)

9. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

My Rega P2 was a gift from my wife and I will never sell it! So definitely "end game".

The Chord 2Qute DAC - I am certain I will never need a better DAC than this.

The rest I would probably change - but not massively.

I run an integrated stereo/surround system. The big dilemma is whether to give up the 'surround' bit.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  10. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

Audio Note M5 preamp
    Audio Note DAC3.1x/ii
    Audio Note ISIS interconnects
    Audio Note ISIS power cables

I‘m very happy with my system as a whole, but I would say these are the items I have zero desire to upgrade further, unless a big old windfall came my way...

11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

LOL 2 1/2 years later and batting .670 of the above "end game" list !

M.R.Collins and Echoes Myron like this.
  12. timind

timind phorum rezident

Well after using the Resolution Audio for probably 8 years, I let it go. I wanted to experience hi-res files, and it was limited there. On the recommendation of an audio friend I bought a Topping D70 and a SMSL SU-8 to se what the inexpensive Chinese products could do. I found the SMSL to sound very nice so I sold the Opus 21.

To answer the question now, I'll say the Simaudio i7 integrated amp is my final amp. Hope saying this doesn't jinx me. Since I bought the amp though, I haven't looked at amps at all.

13. LearnedHands

LearnedHands Well-Known Member

I think the only "end game" component in my system is my RME DAC, cannot beat the measured performance and the headphone output is pretty great to boot (sounds pretty darn good with my HD800s and DT1770 pros).

timind likes this.
  14. Mister Pig

Mister Pig I didn't Choose Farm Life It Chose Me

I don't know if these are end game components, as I am 54 this year, and I might have an upgrade or two left in me.

But its going to be really hard to upgrade from the following pieces

AVM Audio Essential Mono amps
    Halcro DM8 pre amp
    SOTA Cosmos Eclipse table with SME V
    JBL 4365 speakers

grbluen likes this.
  15. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Tannoy Canterbury GR speakers. I've never heard a more realistic sounding speaker. Probably keep forever.

Tchernov reference power cords, ICs and speaker cables. Absolutely stunning, natural, organic and realistic sounding. By far, best cables I've ever heard.

16. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found Thread Starter

We're a lot alike, for me, my "end game" is always at risk of ending up as "end of the year game." :)

But it's all about how you view it and makes you feel, I have no regrets and enjoy the heck out of it. Life is too short for regrets - for me it's a hobby and the journey, discovery and learning are all part of that!

avanti1960 likes this.
  17. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Don't think I can do much better than the Conrad-Johnson Premier 17LS2 without spending some serious money. Just one monolithic triode between input and output (two 6922 tubes per channel with all four sections wired in parallel), along with some relay-switched Vishay resistors for the volume control, and Teflon film capacitors. No electrolytic caps except for the heater power supply. No negative feedback. Nice sounding preamp, probably here for the duration ...

[​IMG]

slcaudiophile and timind like this.
  18. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

My system is far from high end, and I used to upgrade constantly. But I have absolutely no urge to do so anymore, I'm happy with how it sounds. Id like to find a used Rega dac at some point, but no hurry. Having way more fun buying music now.

Tlay likes this.
  19. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Davey, A wonderful preamp, hang on to it. Does it have the Teflon capacitors in it? If not have it upgraded at the factory. I did that with my P15 phono stage. You will love the improvement.

20. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

My speaker cables.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  21. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Yes, it's the LS2 version with Teflon capacitors. I have thought about upgrading some of the caps in my Premier 15 phono stage, but it sounds so good already, may just have to give it a try.

You've arrived at a very nice place in your audio adventure, I've read some of your posts lately about the end game you've put together and it sounds like it probably does sound amazing. Congratulations on that, I'm getting close, just a little further to go...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  22. TheVinylAddict

You're one who worked in the industry, know what good design is, and my guess is spent a few years working up to end game. Just my guess, you didn't buy that first and done, right? :) There's many times I've admired where you ended up with some components, and if I could turn back the clock a few years knowing what I know today I might take an approach that targeted the all discrete, no feedback approach you have taken.

But as many said so far, the key is if your satisfied, like the sound that is really all that counts. I am almost there - partially because of finances too, but also because I am getting to your point, after getting back heavy into audio a few years ago after a long sabbatical, I am getting to where I could be happy with what I have.

But it took a couple of iterations for some components, which is natural for some. I have a feeling on a forum like this, where the 0.01% of the audio buying population lives that strives for higher end, the "got it right the first time for all components and only bought it once" crowd is very much in the minority!

23. TheVinylAddict

:biglaugh:

Good one.

24. Record Fan

Record Fan Forum Resident

I’m part of the way there yet I’m 48. I like simple, not a lot of components. The only thing I’m debating is speakers. Probably will upgrade those at some point.

god willing and the creek don’t rise, I can last at my company for the next 12 - 13 years and can retire. The wife and I are talking about buying some property in the sticks with some acreage (she likes horses, chickens, dogs, etc...room to roam). I say let’s buy the FRP..final resting place; as we have moved too often over the years. I think with new speakers (jbls with the Mac) and ill be done. Although I’ve thought a lot about buying junked audio equipment that needs to be repaired and tinkering with that as a hobby since I don’t care to much for horses...

Echoes Myron, Tlay and Art K like this.
  25. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Here are the components I'm more than happy with having as an endgame:
    VPI Classic 1 TT with Ortofon 2m Black
    Yamaha A-S2100 integrated amp
    Parks Puffin phono preamp
    Line Magnetic 502ca DAC
    Mac Mini music server

I've using Wharfdale Dentons with this system but I'm thinking about upgrading to the Lintons.

Echoes Myron likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.