Component(s) of your audio system that are "end game" and you don't have the urge to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheVinylAddict, Mar 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

My Ultradeck might be endgame, at least for several years while I build up and revamp the rest of the system. The cart however might get a swap down the line.
    20/20 is also firmly safe. I would love to try the DUO, but again that wouldn't come until I revamped everything else.

Everything else, is on the long term planned replacement cycle.

TheVinylAddict and LeeS like this.
  2. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

My Merrill Audio Thor Monoblocks and my Dynaudio Confidence C 1 mk II's are not likely to ever need replacing.

mreeter likes this.
  3. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

End game? I'm not sure I've even found the "middle game" yet... :confused: :sigh: :help:

On the "want" list: New amp. New speakers.

More than decent as my Rotel RA-1572 is, there are a couple of issues that aren't going to go away. I'm broadly happy with my speakers. But... :D Fortunately / unfortunately (your choice of perspective), I have recently heard a power/pre-amp combo (I *think* NAD C268 + C658)) which really did sound very nice - a vast improvement (IMO) over the integrated C388. Additionally, I've heard what a pair of Dali Rubicon 6 speakers can do, or indeed a pair of B&W 704s. Is there an emoji for drooling? All I need is GBP £4,500 to £6,000. Source players could also do with changing but amp/speakers are the priority. Fortunately, it's the lottery tomorrow evening.

Oddly, there is one aspect of my system that might be at the "end game": cables :shh: :) . Until I start tinkering again :doh: .

bradleyc likes this.
  4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

My custom built Hagerman Bugle with matching power supply.

5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Not surprising the LM topped the Lux and Hegel. If you ever have the itch I suggest to try one of these- exceptionally transparent and powerful and a perfect match with your Spendors.
    Jadis I50 Class A Tube Integrated Amplifier | Galen Carol Audio | Galen Carol Audio

geodiak likes this.
  6. avanti1960

Sharp amplifier. Leben was the talk of the town and then went away quietly for some reason but not due to their performance or quality.

7. avanti1960

The Delos is the one to get when my current cart wears out. You make it sound appealing.

8. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

The only piece of equipment that is currently my "end game" is my turntable with the Electro-Dynamic Servo Tonearm. Beyond that, most of my components could go for some major upgrades but I'd have to spend gobs of money, new or used.

9. gov

gov Forum Resident

Could be because people want to see the toobz ;) But seriously I think it sits in a space where the SET gang has no interest and the high power gang has no interest either. I was worried about 32watts with my C7's but I haven't missed a bit of power compared to my Rogue CM2. I suppose if you listen at 100+db(?!) you might but that's far from me. It's really incredible.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  10. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

Have you tried this one? Would love to hear one myself but don't have experience with Jadis.

Two other amps that I wouldn't mind the opportunity to listen to are the Linear Tube Audio separates (total is around $10K) and the Don Sach's separates (quite a bit less than $10K). I did try the DS Preamplifier but through the LM wasn't the best configuration.

11. dangorange

dangorange Forum Resident

Not really an end game piece, although for me it is. I just bought a re cap kit for my Marantz 2275 so I can keep that healthy. I've also replaced the voice coils several times on some old ProAc speakers I inherited and plan to keep going forward.

12. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found Thread Starter

I'm currently in your camp, after pulling all my vinyl and gear out of storage a couple years back, I am still experimenting --- although in many instances my next purchase for certain components should be the last for a while and "end game" hopefully :cool:.

For instance my preamp -- I have a Parasound P5 and although decent I need another bump there to call it "end game". Then that will probably end up ultimately in changing my Parasound A21 preamp...... but not guaranteed.

It's been fun so far reading some of the responses, it serves the additional benefit of seeing some gear that was not on my radar before..........

RockAddict likes this.
  13. SwitcherooU

SwitcherooU Well-Known Member

I would consider my Cambridge Topaz SR20 to be my most advanced piece of gear, relatively speaking. Between my Fluance RT81 Table and Dynaudio Emit M10 speakers, it's at the bottom of the list of things to upgrade.

THAT SAID…my next speakers will almost certainly be Dynaudio Excite X18s. They're rated at 6 ohms, and I'm not sure how demanding they are. I suspect my SR20 (100wpc) can handle them, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have the Excite X18s here? Is 100 watts per channel enough?

14. dangorange

Funny, just after posting this my kit was delivered, oh boy there's a lot of capacitors to replace!

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  15. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

I'm completely satisfied with my amp, which is a Bryston 4B SST2 that I bought used in 2004, and it looks and sounds like it hasn't aged a day. Would only consider changing it if I set up a 5.1 system at some point, which seems unlikely. I'm also pretty happy with my Sennheiser HD-600's, which are even older.

Everything else, I'll probably upgrade some day.

16. TheVinylAddict

I almost bought a 2275 a few months ago in all original / working condition --- for one reason just to play with it and perhaps get my feet wet again on doing some restores. I recently bought a new soldering station, and other stuff to do some other upgrades. Then I almost bought a 2325 too.......

Enjoy it. I love vintage stuff like Marantz. Fun.

17. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Still need speaker upgrade and always on the prowl for better cartridges. My cd playback gear is ancient. Just about everything else I have could be endgame. Emphasis on “could”.

18. dangorange

I luckily got my 2275 around 15 years ago in great shape for not much money. I've never done anything to it but clean some pots, I think it's probably due for a full on service, even though it does currently sound fine, just thinking ahead. I'm comfortable working on electronics so it should be a nice project, not looking forward to not having an amp for the duration!

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  19. nstereo

nstereo Forum Resident

At this point I've got too much already. Not really anything that I want to get rid of and enjoy the variety. Still can't get the thought of trying some Maggies out of my head though....

20. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

I hesitate to say endgame, as I'm still pretty young, but here's where I'm at...

No Itch
    Garrard 301 w/ Schick 12" Arm
    Custom Slagle SUT
    Audio Note Oto Phono SE Signature
    Audio Note DAC 1.1x/II Signature
    Allo DigiOne Signature

Slight Itch (but no rush)
    Internal Phono of the Oto
    SPU #1E Cartridge - very happy here, but know I'll either go up the line (Meister Silver) or maybe try a Koetsu Rosewood

Shiver, gov and Tlay like this.
  21. TheVinylAddict

The old saying applies -- "There are two types of 40 year old electrolytic caps - those that have failed and those that are about to shortly" :)

22. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

All reviews/opinions I read about the Delos before buying are very much spot on. I can't think of any comment that I don't really disagree with, the sound character people describe is accurate. As you know setup is supremely vital to the results you get, and also very important is the Delos does not like to see a high cap cable, must be very low cap like 40-50pF per mt so you can load at the phono stage a higher resistive setting, I am at 475 ohms on the Nova II.

23. avanti1960

Yes, I heard the i 50 driving the Spendor D7s. It looks and sounds stunning! Apparently the Jadis family secret is their hand wound custom transformers. I am contemplating buying the demo unit.

mreeter and freesole like this.
  24. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

I wasn’t familiar with this brand, which surprised me. I thought I had come across pretty much every table out there. That looks like a really well built machine and their customers have nothing but glowing things to say about their service. It looks like an American version of the Trans Rotor Fat Bob Reference turntable, which I have heard and was very impressed with.

You also have a couple of very cool tonearms. I bet that setup is great to listen to.

Salectric likes this.
  25. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

I can’t see ever replacing my Vertere SG-1 turntable, Acoustical Systems Aquilar tonearm, Audio Note Io Gold MC cartridge and the Vertere Pulse-R Phono cable. It is the best sounding turntable that I have ever heard. Next component to keep forever is my Audio Note M6 Phono preamp. It is staggeringly good. I sold everything that I had and worked a second job for a year to pay for it. Definitely worth it.

Tlay likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.