Component(s) of your audio system that are "end game" and you don't have the urge to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheVinylAddict, Mar 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

'Hybrid 8/10' is the best way I could describe it because of the shape. It's mostly aftermarket parts built around an Audiomods V arm & a few RP6 components.

[​IMG]

2. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

My speakers and my pre-amp (both Audio Note) wont be improved on unless I suddenly come into a lot of money.

Otherwise my phonostage is definitely going to be changed this year. I want to keep my VPI turntable but as a second table running a mono cartridge (with a new table for stereo - havent decided which yet). My power amps I will keep but would love to have 300B mono blocks as well for when the mood takes me to change. Thats the plan anyway for the next 5 years or so - maybe that will be it then :)

TheVinylAddict and Big Blue like this.
  3. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I, too, will caveat this with “unless I suddently come into a lot of money”...

I think I am all set with speakers (Wharfedale Reva-4) and subwooker (Hsu ULS-15 mk 2), unless I ever find I have space (not likely in our current home) and budget to add a second ULS-15 mk 2. The combo sounds great together, looks great together, and I think I’d need to make a huge dollar upgrade to better them noticeably.

I also am hoping my incoming SL-1210GR is a turntable I will be happy using indefinitely (of course cartridges may come and go).

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  4. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

The "10" sticker? :evil::winkgrin:

5. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

[​IMG]

bhazen, advanced101, Ezd and 5 others like this.
  6. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Probably with Reel decks, I have a JCorder, Doshi Tape Pre, custom Revox PR99, Revox B77 and Teac X-2000M.
    Unless a Studer 820 in Mint condition came my way......

mreeter and TheVinylAddict like this.
  7. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found Thread Starter

Precisely!

displayname likes this.
  8. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Inclined to agree on the SME V arm. While not the most neutral, they are a breeze to setup and hold their settings. After fighting with unipivot arms, they are nearly perfect although I’d love to hear the SAT arm but way out of my price range.

mreeter likes this.
  9. Loop 7

Loop 7 Forum Resident

Unfortunately, nothing in my system is end game.

10. TheVinylAddict

LOL --- you win the prize for the most honest post in this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mreeter, Mad shadows and Tebbiebear like this.
  11. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

My tube amp, tube phono preamp, and Tannoys are end game. Same with my Tchernov cabling.
    Always consider upgrading my power conditioner and cartridge.

12. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

KEF Reference 1

Wenthrope and mreeter like this.
  13. Bigseven

Bigseven Forum Resident

Pass 160.8 monoblocks.

mreeter and advanced101 like this.
  14. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

My Universal Stereo only player. Ayre C-5XE (in my stereo setup)
    (I have an OPPO UDP-205 for multichannel in my main home theater )

mreeter likes this.
  15. flvet

flvet Forum Resident

Recent upgrades that will not be leaving:
    Ayre VX5 Twenty amp
    VAC Renaissance 5 preamp
    Ayre QX5 Twenty DAC
    Spendor D9
    Ortofon Windfeld Ti
    Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum

mreeter and ellingtonic like this.
  16. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

My Merlin VSM's, Aronov amps, VPI-HW19, Cal Alpha Dac, Musical Design SP-1 preamp.
    I would keep these even if I won the lottery. I also have a bit of other gear that I can swap out if I get an itch.
    Pre-amps: Audio Research LS-22, Aronov LS-9000 Kenegetics KPA-1
    Amps: Musical Design D-140, Dyna MK-3's, Adcom 545
    Dac: Musical Design Dac-1
    Tables: Linn Lp-12, Denon DP 59-L, Denon DP 75
    Plus a lot of other stuff. So overall I can stand pat.

mreeter likes this.
  17. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

[​IMG]DSC_3564 by fiddlefye, on Flickr
    The rest of the system could for the most part be endgame as I've got exactly the sound I was looking for. Carts will come and go and if I ever got really wealthy I could see changing the Audiocraft for something like a Kuzma 4 Point, but not too likely to happen!

mreeter, Tlay, Mikeybc and 1 other person like this.
  18. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

Now that my faithful Linn LP12/Ittok has been Keeled, Cirkused, T-cabled and Krystalised, I reckon that's it: years of musical enjoyment ahead provided I don't break it, or unexpectedly fall off the perch! Much as I look in almost awe at some of the top end turntables, thick-plattered monolithic gorgeous brutes that they are, I have absolutely no desire to own one.

Now....to just listen to music.

........Until I start thinking about some speaker cabling :)

Fiddlefye likes this.
  19. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

Probably all of them,. Don't really have the money for playing the upgrade game anymore.

But I probably would replace something that became irretrievably faulty.

20. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Same here. I'm new here, still really learning after being out of hifi for probably 15+ years. Previously (and to some extent still am), I was an electric guitar gear head. It has been a fun ride. But after buying many different guitars, and amps and MANY different guitar pedals, I came to realize, in the end I still pretty much sounded the same. And I realized a few more things, which is applicable in a way, to this hobby. With guitar, most people think, you gotta have tube amps (and many of them, for different applications). I've discovered you don't. Depends on the application (and the amp, obviously). I've discovered you can get caught up in the latest and greatest, but oftentimes what you have is already great. When I have focused less on gear, I play more, and enjoy it more. Not that I won't upgrade some of my guitar gear in the future, but I'm much more satisfied than I have been lately. I went over to visit a friend of a friend who was also a guitar buff. Stuck in the 80's maybe, but he had a collection of 58 guitars, all EVH inspired, or similar guitarists from the 80's. Wonderful collection. But few that I wanted. And when played through his EVH 5150 amp, everything sounded like, well EVH. Cool I guess. But I'm much more comfortable with my own meager collection of 6 guitars (but I have much cooler pedals, lol).

So I'm approaching my new interest in hifi in much the same way. I'm in the early process of buying a few new things, and might upgrade probably everything, once or twice. But then I expect to be content for longer periods of time. Currently have:

Dynaudio Excite 14 (just got these last month)
    Musical Fidelity M2Si integrated amp (less than a year old)
    U-Turn Orbit w/acrylic platter, Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge (aim to keep it about 2 years before upgrading)
    Cambridge Audio Solo phono preamp
    Yamaha SACD player w/Musical Fidelity V90 DAC
    Dayton Audio 15"Sub

Room is small. Eventually I might move the gear from a basement room, to the mail living room area. So most things will change because of this. A few years away.

Eventually I'd like to try some higher end gear. Maybe a higher end Rega or Pro-Ject TT with a better cartridge, and maybe a tube phono preamp? And perhaps separate power amp/preamp. I have some time before this will happen.

Mostly, right now I'm enjoying buying a new record every week, and enjoying the music.

21. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

Done upgrading my TT (MoFi Ultradeck) and my Integrated Amp (Luxman L550AXii).

At some point I will upgrade my speakers (Heresy III's) up the Klipsch line. My room size holds me back for now.

mreeter and displayname like this.
  22. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I've learned to never say never. But, the way things stand now...the ModWright LS-100 Linestage, ModWright PH 9.0 Phono Preamp, VPI Classic Signature SE, VAS Audio Citation II Tube Monoblocks, MIT & Audio Sensibility Cables/Wires, are all keepers.

I will find some different Speakers one day and maybe a ModWright KWA 100SE Amplifier...and a better Digital front end.

We are planning on moving to a different home (smaller) in four years, at that time I will downsize to a nice Tube Integrated and some killer Stand Mounts, and probably a Digital/Streaming source.

ellingtonic and TheVinylAddict like this.
  23. TheVinylAddict

Would you keep the PH 9.0 with this move?

mreeter likes this.
  24. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

Well I lied...the Ref 75 has been replaced with a Ref 75 SE. I was not expecting the upgrade from the Ref 75 with KT 150’s to be so dramatic...but am so glad I did it!

BD2665 and mreeter like this.
  25. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist

The only thing I'm done upgrading is me :)

mreeter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.