Concern for Willie Nelson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bill007, Nov 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I saw him at a festival about 4 years ago and he basically talked his way through most of the songs. I'm not too familiar with his stuff, but as far as him singing/speaking that way through shows, I don't think it's a new thing. Although I suppose he hasn't done too many TV appearances in recent years, probably for that reason.

2. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

That was difficult to watch. I turned off Willie's recent Farm Aid set about half way through a couple months back. It hurt to see him sound like that.

3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Oh dear God! He actually looked incredibly frail and shaky. And old.
    Willie's age seems to be catching up quickly.:sigh:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I saw him this summer, not far from the stage. Looked and sounded fine, but he does have bad days (he cancelled some shows on the same tour for that reason).

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  5. President_dudley

President_dudley Forum Resident

“I woke up still not dead again today…” - Willie Nelson

6. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I'll always remember him like this...

7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Me too. He will always be one of the greatest singer-songwriters ever. Not just in country music, but in all of music and when he leaves the world, he will still with us.

8. BradOlson

To me, even with the breathing problems, etc. he still sounded like Willie to me and just his presence is plenty for him to be a highlight of a show. He is that iconic.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  9. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

10. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Efus and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Yeah I saw him in September after the tour restarted and didn't detect too much slowdown.

C6H12O6 and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

It is abnormal for an 86 year old to be perorming like Willie does. It is abnormal for him to breathe like he has been. 2 abnormals do not make a normal. Hopefully he is feeling OK. I am sure we will find out more if need be.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. BradOlson

This is also out on CD as well and the performances are great.

Bill007, challenge and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. JeffHunt

JeffHunt Stray Cat Strutting

Wait. what?

vette442, Guy Smiley and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I’d have trouble breathing too if I was standing that close to Kacey Musgraves!

vivresavie, JoeRockhead, Dave and 9 others like this.
  17. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Willie Nelson is one of the most beautiful people on the planet.
    Seeing him in in May, 2005, at the Dixon May Fair in Dixon CA was one of the most memorable musical moments of my life.
    Miles and miles of love for Willie Nelson.
    Thank you, Willie!

18. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

His humor is as great as his legacy.
    This is another good one.
    Roll Me Up & Smoke Me When I Die:

19. steviej

steviej Forum Resident

Sorry, but what does an 86 year sound like who didn’t abuse their lungs and body? Who can you even compare this to? For anyone to make it to 86, period, goes against all odds in nature. I think anyone would be lucky to be healthy enough to tour and get on stage at 86

Hep Alien, 51IS, Dave and 5 others like this.
  20. Thirdly, when I was in Oregon, I purchased some of Willie's Reserve from a nice little shop in Portland. Good god, that stuff could fell a water buffalo!

Secondly, you know, to get off of tobacco cigarettes, Willie switched the medicinal stuff in 1958/59. The timeline is a little unclear to Willie, but it was still in the 1950s!

Yeah, because if they didn't rein in Willie, he would go off into his own world and begin soloing the hell out of that guitar. The only ones who can follow Willie is his own band (barely). I believe wholeheartedly that Willie Nelson, at the age of 86, is at least top-five among living guitar players.

So, when is it "too late" for an 86-year old?

21. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I didn't post the original comment, but I think you are greatly overreacting to someone pointing out what might be the cause of the struggle.

mr. steak and spanky1 like this.
  22. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

The man is a guitar legend.
    I know 'Trigger' is a big part of the 'sound', but he is an incredible guitar player.
    His Jazz style playing technique and how he moves into notes above and below.....
    I watch and listen thinking where is he gonna end up doing that run, then BAM.
    What a skilled and experienced picker!

via_atx, A6mzero, Efus and 2 others like this.
  23. WarEagleRK

Even at 86, I think they haven't created something that strong to floor Willie. If so it should be classified as a biohazard because if it would phase Willie it will kill anyone else not named Snoop.

A6mzero likes this.
  24. WarEagleRK

Saw Willie and Dylan on the minor league stadium tour around 15 years ago in a downpour. Worst conditions for an outdoor show that I ever attended. Both old pros were not phased.

Hep Alien, The MEZ, A6mzero and 2 others like this.
  25. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Willie is an old man now and frankly, a medical wonder. He's lived a long and wonderful life and I hope he's lives as long as he wants too.
    Losing Waylon was brutal but Willie is a Texas treasure. Losing him would be as horrible as watching The Alamo burn down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.