Concert For George reissue CD/LP/DVD Feb 23, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zgredzik, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bootleghofner

Bootleghofner Forum Resident

Actually that is $665, not $645.... corrected that before sending...

2. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

I looked at original link, and - fwiw - have provided a few bullets below to state the case simply and directly. I find this all very disappointing. It is a stain on the Estate and does dishonor to Harrison’s legacy - Dhani and Olivia should really be ashamed - and hope this may be useful in resolving.

Concert For George Deluxe Box Set + Test Pressings

SKU #:
    $450.00
    Wish List
    Email
    This is a pre-order and is expected to ship in early April 2018.

• 4 x LP vinyl set (+ complete set of test pressings)
    • Complete set of authentic Test Pressings (4-discs), pressed at Quality Record Pressings (QRP).

“The Box Set is limited to 1,000 pieces worldwide. The test pressings are limited to 15 sets worldwide.”

The facts in the matter are this:
    • The pre-order offer was $450 for the “Deluxe Box Set + Test Pressingsk”
    • “Complete set of authentic Test Pressings (4-discs), pressed at Quality Record Pressings (QRP).”
    • That was the offer when the order was submitted with payment in good faith; there was no subsequent communucation about any changes to the offer.
    • Failure to deliver what was originally paid for is bad faith.
    • Satisfaction will require either a refund for the price of the undelivered items plus the price-dependent customs fees, OR full refund for the entire package plus all associated shipping, handling & customs fees.
    • Failure to satisfy will result in all recovery actions through payment and / or legal agencies.
    Frankly this needs to be escalated beyond the customer service rep.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  3. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I'd also add in the expected ship date which didn't happen, not even close. If you're building a good faith/bad faith case it's just one more failure.

4. fabdirk

fabdirk Well-Known Member

Hi there, I am new to this forum, but have been watching this topic ever since I ordered the box on the very first day - January 17. Are you sure you ordered the one with the test pressing(s) on 01/23? I had asked the store to upgrade me to the more expensive version just after placing the order and finding out by accident that there was that version, which was not linked to the original mail from GeorgeHarrison.com advertising the new releases. I needed a fast reply, but only got it a week later - too late to upgrade, of course! The item description for both boxes was the same on that first day, there was no word about the low number of test pressings or of what kind of test pressings they meant. The description was changed after the 15 sets were sold out. I was furious and wrote several emails to the store without any help. I desperately wanted these test pressings and now really feel with those who only got one - ridiculous again!
    I got my regular box this Monday after paying German VAT. The box was not damaged on its way, but I can confirm a lack of quality control regarding the LP covers and the vinyl itself. Two of my LPs are scratched - I have now contacted them again and asked for a replacement. Let‘s see how long this farce will go on. By the way, placing an order in the first minutes after the announcement in this store got me to copy number 788 - strange! Even if there is only one test pressing per customer, it would be nice to know which LP you have got. If one day you are going to sell your copy, I will be very interested - this concert means a lot to me, as I was there at the Albert Hall and started to collect everything linked with this fantastic show immediately after this very special evening.

Sargon and forthlin like this.
  5. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Yes, my focus was narrowed to the mis-representation and test pressing(s) issue, which results in real and easily-calculated loss. The missed shipping dates, poor / lack of communication and failure to address damaged goods may reflect bad faith, and all certainly speak to a remarkable lack of respect for the consumer and avid fans, for what the Estate likes to position - and price - as “premium” product.

Again, i really hope folks remember this next time the Estate trots out a “premium-priced” re-issue product where the deluxe packaging drives the high-price with little or no new content.

Also, it does make me wonder if they actually broke up the “15” sets of test pressings so that they could take orders for 60 - rather than 15 - Deluxe Plus TP sets.

6. Bootleghofner

@ronbow, looks like a solid overview of the whole mess. I'll await Customer's Care's reply before I take any more actions. I was actually thinking of sending Olivia a letter to express my disgust, I wonder if she'll ever get to know what this situation has turned into.

7. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I asked earlier if everyone received the identical test pressing disc, I don't think anyone responded.

8. Bootleghofner

I'm curious to know, too. I showed my copy a few pages ago, the number on my disc is 888072030077 GH and while I haven't played it -too peed off by the whole affair-, the second side of the disc is etched, so it's most likely Disc 4.

forthlin likes this.
  9. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

So their intention was to produce and send 1 test pressing record, but advertised and *priced* it as 4. If this is not a fraud, I do not know what a fraud can be.

10. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Wow, all that and you got ONE playable side. Unbelievable. :faint:

Mr. Explorer and theMess like this.
  11. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Another thing i noticed is that on the Harrison site all the CFG items are annotated “Proceeds from the sale of these products support The Material World Foundation (UK charity No. 1148896)”.

Now, that sounds really great; however, i have to say that this episode just smacks of so much greed.

12. Jack Lumber

Jack Lumber Forum Resident

It’s very generous for the Harrisons to donate the proceeds... but as commendable as that is, we didn’t make a charitable donation in order to receive a complimentary gift... we bought a premium priced collectible and paid the market price! We want what we paid for!

I’m sure the record company took every cent of their costs. The proceeds is only the profit- for all we know everyone involved has taken their money out of the pot first... it’d be interesting to know how much in total goes to the charity!

13. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Didn’t see any damage comments, so presumably yours arrived unscathed?

theMess likes this.
  14. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

I really suspect the opposite - orders poured in for the 15 test pressing editions and they realized they had left money on the table. Sleazy.

15. Jack Lumber

My saga continues.

Parcelforce attempted delivery- I was out- they left a card.

I arranged to collect from depot next day- went there- told it was back out for a 2nd attempt. They offered to call the driver and have it dropped at my local post office- they would ring me later to confirm.

No further delivery card, but no phone call either.

Went to the post office on Monday anyway- they didn’t have it.

Checked the tracking details again yesterday- say it is at my Post office and was delivered last Friday- going first thing tomorrow to try again.

After all this it looks like it’s gone missing!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  16. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Even worse. You may be right.

So their claim "produced as intended' refers to the total test pressing records produced and is actually right as such. However these records were not finally "shared as intended"... Cheap legal tricks.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Folks, i think i need to step back here, as i don’t really have a dog in this hunt. I looked at the offering, and between the lack of new content and the high price (imo) i just didn’t see the value - for me. Same as the vinyl collection.

I am just really frustrated w the Estate. Like many of you, i have been waiting for new content, looking for reasons to justify buying these over-priced (again, imo) re-issue projects, while - for whatever reason - they sit on an abundance of unreleased treasures. They don’t even attempt to collect the numerous orphans out there that have already seen limited release - B-sides, Mo, SIE orphans, Best of Dark Horse orphans, Rajbun, Horse to the Water, etc., which would seem a no-brainer and well-received collection to fill the gaps.

The 2 CD collections were nice, but the few bonus tracks were scant and puzzling in some cases.

OK, I’m done - good luck to all w issues, use social media to make some noise, and consider carefully for any future deluxe issues from these guys.

18. Beautiful set. My first time listening to the LPs. Sounds good but probably no better than the CDs (vinyl usually does IMHO). I know Fremer Disliked the vinyl version but I’m not totally there. Very nice pressings though. I assume these are the same as the regular boxed version from several months ago. Beware of Darkness sounds fabulous on vinyl. Still working my way through these records.

Having said that I look forward to watching the blu-ray when by buddy visits in a few weeks. Watching this show is what it’s all about (much like the Last Waltz). I was fortunate enough to attend both of these amazing concerts and I find the films much more enjoyable than just the CDs or records.

I bought the deluxe without the test pressings and think it’s a lovely package and worth the price. But I’m also a collector of the Genesis books so you know where I’m coming from.

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

19. ...oh and as I wrote many times, if you really want to contact and get reaction from the label and the Estate, you need to go with Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. Email will probably eventually work but social networking kicks their asses quicker.

20. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

The set does look nice, Mazzy. Any thing of note in the book? And re watching it? Absolutely! It is really nice to have it in both the theatrical AND concert edits. My wife and i caught one of screenings earlier this year and it just continues to deliver. Clapton did a great job as musical director, and i really liked that he stuck pretty much to George’s arrangements - so many high points!

Mr. Explorer, theMess and MRamble like this.
  21. Jack Lumber

It’s finally in my possession!

Main box set appears in tact- I am reluctant to unseal it should there be any issues and the contents be irreplaceable... an illogical conclusion... but as a collectible it would retain its value if unsealed and presumed OK rather than open and known to be damaged. The obvious down side, not accessing the book, tapestry, nor finding out which Ltd ed number it is. But I have a standard box of the Lps.

Obviusly just the 1no. TP attached. It is a two-sider but don’t know if it is disc 1, 2, or 3!

Now to begin my official “where the hell are my missing records” complaint!

Mr. Explorer and mrjinks like this.
  22. Open it. It’s beautiful. Enjoy it. You saw my pictures I posted. Lovely set.

23. Jack Lumber

Same number on mine followed by “A/B”. Double sided- but unplayed so any of the first 3 discs.

24. FYI : I did play all the LPs yesterday. Very nice pressings. A good set but there are some moments where you hear sone sort of digital compression. Not a lot but I wish the mastering was better throughout .non audiophile folks probably won’t notice this.

So the video and CDs will be my go to Concert for George Experience. .

25. Jack Lumber

So I did open it!

Nice book- glad I went through it and turned all of the pages- there was some careful peeling apart to do just down to the lack of air- pleased that the print had not stuck to any opposing pages and that it is now unlikely to happen in the future.

The sleeves have the white smudges- I assume that no one could possibly get a clean set of sleeves unless they worked at the factory.

The discs are not pristine either with some lighter stains against the blackness of the vinyl.

The etched disc also has a long blemish.

I do have a standard set so may swap around to get abets set, and one for playing.

Just the one TP as I’ve said- the lightly etched inscription around the centre of the disc says it is LP1- and the serial number on the disc corresponds with that as etched on the disc proper.

One little cherry on my cake- a not unpleasant cut of canvas- but best of all... numbered zero-zero-zero-nine! I’ll see you there on Cloud 9! :pineapple:

Mr. Explorer, theMess, Calico and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.