Concord Music Group gets Paul McCartney Back Catalogue (Pt. 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Doesn't have to RHYME with it ... it just have to have two syllables!

"and I acted like a (bleepin) lid"

You could even try to edit out the "el" and it would sound like "bleepin' kid" (minus the "K").

I really am thinking about this too much...

2. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

hahaha, if Paul hadn't written like that, we'd never been commenting on the song. At least not that much (the lad has written such an anwful bunch!)

3. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

has there ever been a macca album-by-album thread?

i'd love to read sean murdock's reviews of each release!

genius!

4. We're on part 2 already and they aren't out yet? Wow.

As much crap as McCartney takes for his sometimes surreal, sometimes silly lyrics I find it interesting that ANOTHER favorite of mine Robyn Hitchcock gets away with it all the time and no one criticizes him.

That's one of the things I like about Robyn same thing with Macca (although stupid cliched lyrics that Paulie writes does bother me).

5. siveld

siveld Forum Resident

6. Claudio Dirani

Grown up men and women act like kids when they have barneys. I think it fitted like a glove in the song.

7. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

You know what's interesting is that I've read some articles online about how McCartney doesn't deserve that songwriting award he's received. He's been criticized for fluff, having a highlight-free solo career, being nothing compared to John, and all other sorts of rediculous statements.

Well we've been talking about other McCartney stuff too as we wait for some details to drop.

8. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

Maybe he should've sang "And I acted like a *****ing kid".

9. Sean Murdock

With a little creative editing, he WILL sing that! :agree: :sigh:

10. Claudio Dirani

Someone might try getting it from Big Boys Bickering!

11. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Hello? Concord?

12. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

It's frustrating I know. I've sent an email just this morning asking for any new details or at least when they plan on sharing anymore news. They probably wont bite but I'll let us know if they do.

13. Sean Murdock

I don't know if anyone's quoted the recent Q interview, but this is tantalizing:

14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yeah: Coasters, pens, T-shirts, watches, ties, jigsaw puzzles, calendars, and so forth. Just like with the Fabs stuff last Xmas. Beware!! ;) Arnie

15. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

no key chains?

16. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

I had seen that. Between that and knowing there will be a dvd of video footage as well (at least for BOTR) it does seem like they are going for the best reissues they can. But with August less than two months away, I'd like to see tracklistings and/or more info to get the hype going.

17. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

No kidding!!

18. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

My pasty, boney little knee's are knocking together in fear, that Paul's idea of a 'Dvd' is the five minute mini doco's stuck on the end of the Beatles remasters .. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Greg.

19. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

My concern is that they'll go all out for "Band on the Run," but give his other releases the sub par treatment.

20. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

That is a bit worrisome. Other albums--"Red Rose Speedway", for example--seem to have a wealth of possibilites. There are a lot of songs from those studio sessions "officially" unreleased as well as live tracks and so on to choose from.

21. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I'm not convinced. Concord will be (if McCartney isn't) aware that most people who are likely to want to own a copy of his albums already do so (several times over mostly).

I think there's actually MORE chance of the well known albums being given relatively poor treatment because they'll sell. Concord/MPL need to give us a reason to buy 30-odd albums for the second/third/fourth time.

If Wild Life, for example, isn't given a very significant upgrade it just won't sell. It probably won't anyway.

As I see it, I think it's likely that some albums will get very significant deluxe treatments and some will be left OOP. There'll be few compromises.

22. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

It will be interesting to see just how much the wealthiest artist in the history of music cares about his post-Beatle works of art. This will be his last chance at mainstream physical product reissue of his core solo catalog.

Will he settle yet again for the bottom line? Or does he now see genuine/post-'Wingspan' value in it, and would be willing to accept minimal profit in exchange for little but a lot of hard/lovingly-cared for work, in order to make them genuinely worthwhile/potentially definitive?

23. Sean Murdock

I sure HOPE it's the latter ... and since he's now working with a smaller label (and not EMI), I think it WILL be. Concord isn't going to settle for a "just release it and it will sell" approach.

24. groff

groff Forum Resident

25. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

This is a little OT but I wanted to share this little nugget but didn't think it warranted a new thread:

I recently took the plunge and purchased a 4-disc (3 CDs and a DVD) MPL promo set called Music. Play. License. I did so because it featured McCartney performing Matchbox (I assumed it would be the very-hard-to-find 2002 soundcheck version forgetting that he'd already issued a soundcheck recording on TTLF).

Anyway, hidden away on disc 2 was Only Mama Knows. I took a look at the waveform and it appears that the volume is roughly 10% lower and it hasn't had the "haircut" the commercial version was given. It suggests that there may be some hope for a SLIGHTLY better mastering of that album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.