Connecting Marantz pre-amp with a Marantz amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hakim, Dec 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hakim

Hakim New Member Thread Starter

Hello there.

My name is Hakim and I've a question about connecting together a pre-amplifier with an amplifier, but I not sure if it's the right place to ask. If not, sorry for bothering you.

I've a pre-amplifier Marantz 1060 ( 30 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo) ) with an amplifier Marantz PM710 ( 80 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo) ), paired with 2 Bower & Wilkins CM7 Specila edition (150w watts into 8Ω ) and connected to an Audio-technica turntable AT-LP 120-USB.

I've tried both amps separately with the turntable and speakers, they work great, but from what I understood, it's possible to connect both Marantz together, but I don't know what would be the best thing/connection to do.

Hope you can help me with that or maybe advise me where to look to be sure to do the right thing with my gear.

Thanks in advance with your help.

Best regards.

2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Hello-

I had the same 1060 once. You can pull out the jumpers between Preamp Out and Main in on the back of it, and run regular RCA cables from the preamp out to any amplifier, including your PM710. That would give you the PM710's 80 watts out rather than the 1060's 30 watts, but I don't know if it would sound any better or different than just using the PM710 on its own. You cannot hook both amps up to the same speakers at once. But if you wanted to have speakers in another room playing the same source or something similar to this, it can easily be done and many here will be able to help.

Edit: I looked again and your speakers are capable of Bi-wiring, so the bass and treble sounds of one speaker can be driven by two amplifiers. You would tend to use the higher powered amplifier for bass. You would have to send the same audio signal to both amps as mentioned above, and send the speaker outputs from the 1060 to the midrange and tweeter, and connect the PM710 to the bass speaker. I'm sure many here can describe that connection scheme as well. Again, in normal use I am not altogether sure it will sound significantly different, although it would be able to play slightly louder.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  3. Hakim

Hakim New Member Thread Starter

Hello!

Thanks for your answer and sorry for my late reply.

Ok, I think I got it. So, I should connect 1060 from Pre Out to which connection of the PM710 ? Phono 1,2, Tuner ? And logically the turntable connected to the photo connection of the 1060 ?

Thanks a lot bout the Bi-Writing, I'll try to find someone to explain me how to do it.

Once again, thanks a lot for your help !!

4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

You will need to get two Y-connectors, so the Preamp Out on the 1060 can feed both the main input on the 1060 and the other amplifier at the same time. The turntable and any other inputs will connect to the 1060, and it will be your control center for volume and tone adjustments. If you like the control features on the PM710 better and if it has the same Pre Out/Main in setup as the 1060, you can use it as the control center and the 1060 as the slave. In either case, you have a choice with the slave amplifier - you can use any high level (not phono) input if you need volume control on the second amp to get the levels correct, or (ideally) use the Main in on the second amp, so its volume control is bypassed and cannot be set wrong by mistake. If you use the Main in jacks on the second amp you will never need to adjust it and can stick it out of the way under a couch or something. Good luck and have fun experimenting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.