Considering a Sota Saphire...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by okc_craft, Sep 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters Thread Starter

This popped up locally at what seems like a fantastic price. It has an Eminent Technologies arm and a Koetsu Onyx Platinum cartridge, which appears to be 3 years old but untouched , should I know anything about these before I make an offer?

2. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I had one. I wanted to love it, but just couldn’t. It pretty much sat unused. I finally bought another table and sold it. I probably used my current table more in the first 3 months than I used the SOTA in 10 years.

3. okc_craft

What did you not like about it?

4. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

It wouldn’t stay level. It was marketed that it would because the springs hold the sub chassis from the top- opposite of a Linn where the subxhassis is atop the springs.

The motor (Series III) would occasionally “click” which required an adjustment with a screwdriver from the bottom.

The arm would loosen over time. I’d have to remove the arm board and tighten it a few times a year.

A tinkerer’s dream. I’m not that guy.

TheVinylAddict and PhxJohn like this.
  5. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I have an original model and it is / has been an amazing TT.

Very musical and very low maintenance. Never had a hiccup or an issue with it.

Always liked Sota (and any TT with) an actual upgrade path and factory service program is hard to complain about.

Unless you get a lemon, of course.

PhxJohn, hifisoup and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. okc_craft

I am a tinkering fool.... what arm did you have on it.

7. okc_craft

Not sure which series this is, but it seems like a solid upgrade to my Technics 1200. What arm do you have on yours, I worry a little about complexity of the Eminent Technologies arm.

8. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

There is a pretty generic Jelco on mine. Swapping out the board and arm is not a big deal, really.

Just chiming in to say that The Saphire is generally well regarded. Maybe checkouot the Sota Saphire Threads over on AudioKarma to see if one of those guys is running the same arm?

9. okc_craft

Thanks, I’ll check that out.

10. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I had a Rega on it as a placeholder for the SME I planned to buy. After living with it for a bit, I decided not to continue with the original plan.

PhxJohn likes this.
  11. okc_craft

Thanks for your input.

12. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

If it's an amazing price, then it will likely not last long. It's an excellent table if its in excellent shape. Condition is everything if you are buying anything used.
    -Bill

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. okc_craft

Condition looks to be excellent, what would you consider a good deal?

14. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Had one on a Saphire. ET2 very easy to use once you get used to it. Set it and forget it.

15. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

The arm is very simple. Much more so than a conventional arm. If you can tie your shoes go for it.

16. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Sota does work and even refurbishes all of their old tables. Maybe that will help with the decision making process.

17. okc_craft

It seems like a suspended deck with this arm would be immune to unwanted resonance.

18. okc_craft

I read that, and it is a huge positive in my opinion.

aorecords likes this.
  19. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

"Condition is everything" - quite right.
    I bought a used SOTA Comet locally. It had basically never been used, just sat in storage, so I figured it was as good as new. Nope - had issues including a slightly warped platter from maybe being stored in a hot garage.
    I sent it off to SOTA for diagnosis and they found other issues. But, they gave me a great trade-in credit on a new Comet. And setup the cartridge I bought from Uptown Audio on it!

20. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Not sure anything is immune to unwanted resonance

21. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

The person shipping this deck better know how to ship a Sota.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  22. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

The Sota Sapphire with an ET-2 is a great combo. A buddy of mine used to have this exact table.

And the ET2 is a great arm. Its definitely better than a Jelco. I have one my Linn, and I love it. I'll go to my grave with this arm.

23. okc_craft

It’s local.

ddarch likes this.
  24. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

There’s still a sequence that has to be done to move it- locking the suspension and wedging the platter so it doesn’t move.

25. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

As long as the ET2 plays nice with a suspended chassis turntable, this sounds like a winner. And that Koetsu is nothing to sneeze at (as long as the cantilever looks straight and the stylus is intact). I like linear trackers and they work well with the stone bodied Koetsus. SOTA is a table that I've never owned, but was well regarded back in the day, the company is still around for refurbishment and updates. If others have used this combo table and arm with success, I guess the only questions are condition, any issues with playback, etc. Can you get a chance to check it out if it is local and buy it if it meets with your approval? Most good deals vanish pretty quickly if they are real...

PS: there's lots of knowledge out there about the ET2 and a bunch of tweaks if you are the least mechanically inclined. Once you understand how it works, you realize how good the design is. I can't tell you the running changes over the life of the arm, but anybody with ET2 knowledge will know, and there is a real following for that arm, even today. (I briefly had one back in the day but didn't really use it, though I love the air bearing linear arm I now have, which has been in use for about 14 years.).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.