Converting a non-fan: the most accessible Steely Dan song?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MRamble, May 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Don't misunderestimate me, I do like them, but this post was about empathizing with those who don't, and why those that do, fall on deaf ears.

Chris Schoen likes this.
  2. Black Friday is the first Steely Dan song that secured my interest in them, after already being familiar with Do It Again and Reeling In The Years.

The Fez, however, was the song that made me buy an album of theirs for the first time (The Royal Scam).

mbd40 and MRamble like this.
  3. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Yep, I get it. :righton:

Dillydipper and MRamble like this.
  4. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

All of them. :cool:

MRamble likes this.
  5. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

Well, hearing "Do It Again" and "Reelin' in the Years" on the top 40 did it for me. Their first album remains one of my favorite Dan records; while I followed them where they went, I missed some of that album's spirit.

If we're to avoid overexposed songs like "Rikki," then I'd probably go with "Dr. Wu" first.

MRamble and Philo Beddoe like this.
  6. Black Cat Surfboards

Black Cat Surfboards Forum Resident

"FM" is pretty accessible Steely Dan for sure but they might be disappointed after conversion because to my ears FM is kind of atypical SD and way more mainstream sounding.
    I'd go with "Reeling in the Years" maybe just because it was the first song I heard by them that just grabbed me and pulled me in.

MRamble and Philo Beddoe like this.
  7. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Huge "Fez" fan here. :righton:

jjm905 likes this.
  8. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Bodhisattva. Between the rock cliche opening and jazzy guitar and piano interludes, it’s far less subtle but just as musically accomplished as many of the other tracks mentioned.

MRamble and Michael Macrone like this.
  9. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

My Old School

MCM_Fan and MRamble like this.
  10. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

fwiw, set list from new tour: Night By Night!

1) Phantom Raiders (Stanley Wilson cover, Intro)

2) Night By Night

3) Hey Nineteen

4) Black Friday

5) Aja

6) Kid Charlemagne

7) Home At Last

8) Green Flower Street

9) Time Out of Mind

10) Babylon SIsters

11) Green Earrings

12) Black Cow

13) Dirty Work (sung by the Danettes)

14) Bodhisattva

15) That Same Old Feeling (Crusaders cover, with band intros)

16) Peg

17) My Old School

18) Reelin' in the Years

19) A Man Ain't Supposed to Cry (Joe Williams cover, Outro)

Instant Dharma and MRamble like this.
  11. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Agree, Rikki.

MRamble likes this.
  12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I think you need to define what resonates with your friend or friends before you try to indoctrinate them. If they like classic rock, you're probably best served by Reelin in the Years or King of the World.

gregorya and MRamble like this.
  13. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Perhaps, but it couldn't be less connected aesthetically to "Old Time Rock 'n Roll" to these ears...

14. John54

John54 Senior Member

Do It Again, or (if they would like something livelier) Reeling in the Years

I don't have any LPs but I did buy a greatest hits collection and listen to it

MRamble likes this.
  15. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

MRamble likes this.
  16. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Thats what makes it so great.

BluesOvertookMe and MRamble like this.
  17. Countermoon

Countermoon Well-Known Member

Peg, Josie, FM

MRamble likes this.
  18. hophedd

hophedd Forum Resident

Songs from The Royal Scam haven't really been mentioned in this thread, but at least a few have appealed to and drew in some people, including myself. "Don't take Me Alive" in particular is pretty catchy to some coming at it from a rockier direction.

MRamble and Instant Dharma like this.
  19. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Pretty flawless. Don sure knows what the fans came to hear.

20. Station17

Station17 Time to play B-sides...

Time Out of Mind. (Tell them what “chasing the dragon” means & tell them Mark Knofler plays on the record)

MRamble likes this.
  21. GregM

GregM The expanding man

But all due respect, Reelin' isn't the greatest melodically. It's just descending notes on a scale, which makes it super easy and accessible. The vocal harmonies in the chorus are evoke CSNY and other pop of the time. And the guitar solo really rocks. It's their least jazzy thing, very basic harmonically, melodically and rhythmically. That will appeal to lots of rocker types. Also the lyrics are super straightforward about a guy interested in a girl who's not into him back, which is bread and butter of rock lyrics, universally appealing.

MRamble likes this.
  22. Countermoon

Countermoon Well-Known Member

All right. I need to step in here for a minute. I doubt conversion will work in music for the same reasons it doesn't work in other areas of life. But we all know there's a difference between "I don't like it" and "It sucks". There's food that tastes bad to you (you dislike it) and there's food that was cooked wrong (it sucks).

I haven't had these kinds of discussions in many years, but I usually concluded that although music is subjective, it's not totally subjective. Is American Idol still on TV? If you want examples of suck, there you go. There are people who can't sing. There are people who can't play their instruments. These people should be doing something else with their time. But for whatever reason, they keep plugging away.

People listen to music for different reasons. I doubt Steely Dan would appeal to

1) A thirteen year old girl whose boyfriend dumped her
    2) A high school dance after a football game
    3) Students at a college party
    4) People who dance to house music (or whatever it is now) in New York clubs
    5) Country music fans
    6) Rap fans
    7) Metal fans

That's going to be a long list. It might be easier to suggest that because Steely Dan has jazz influences, it's unlikely to be popular, given that jazz sells fewer records than classical—and that's a tiny percentage.

I guess someone who understands music theory could explain to non-fans about jazz chords and why something is clever. But that would be appear to intellectualize the subject, and probably most people are motivated more by feeling than intellect.

I think my sister appreciated Steely Dan more after watching the documentary on the making of Aja. That film shows how much time, effort, and thought Becker and Fagen put into their work. Sure, there's an element of OCD and neurosis. But they are also putting much more into their work than most people do in any occupation. I can accept "I don't like it." But Steely Dan certainly doesn't suck.

Jimmy Disco D and MRamble like this.
  23. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

24. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well I didn't have a specific friend in mind per se. One friend is more a rootsy, earthy type who likes a more gritty sound, another friend generally sits in the power-pop world who doesn't really like jammy music. I realize these two elements greatly contradict Steely Dan in general...

25. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

If you find that sort of lite funk enjoyable, and that kind of humor funny. Though I must say I'm surprised anyone find that "great." Mildly entertaining to some maybe. But great? That's a great piece of music or a great work of art? I'm not even sure Donald Fagan would make that case. In fact, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't. That's the thing though about why a Steely Dan fan can't really necessarily "convert" a non-fan -- the very qualities in the band's work that seem to turn the fan on are the things that turn off the non-fan.

MRamble likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.