Converting a non-fan: the most accessible Steely Dan song?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MRamble, May 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Correction:
    Lots of my friends who are metal fans (including me) LOVE Steely Dan! A lot of times metal fans are into the music because of the technicality and virtuosity of the music being played which is why they also appreciate stuff like Steely Dan.

2. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Maybe their most commercial single was Haitian Divorce. If they don't like that, I'd give up.

Davido, hophedd and MRamble like this.
  3. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

Yep, one of the biggest Steely Dan fans I know is a metalhead. Definitely some overlap there.

BluesOvertookMe, bever70 and MRamble like this.
  4. MarkL64

MarkL64 Well-Known Member

For a single song, I would recommend Peg or Josie, but this greatest hits set is by far my favorite greatest hits compilation from any artist.

MRamble likes this.
  5. Someone In A Tree

Someone In A Tree Crow-flowers, nettles, daisies, and long purples

6. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident Thread Starter

Walter leaves a very brainy easter egg at the very very end of this performance.... :laugh:

ostrichfarm likes this.
  7. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

What a wizard! :D I wonder if he's making fun of himself for some teal or imagined mistake.

MRamble likes this.
  8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

If your friend is serious about learning to appreciate different genres of popular music, I would offer up the album Aja, and suggest that he or she read Pitchfork Media's 10/10 review.

" . . . Aja—Steely Dan’s sixth album, from 1977—turned everything around for me:
    It’s a thoroughly convincing argument against my notion that aggressive or discordant music was inherently real and rebellious, whereas virtuosic or studied songs were always limp and bloodless.
    Aja is as bold as records get. It’s full of strange, unprecedented, disorienting moves. It is braver, more idiosyncratic, and more personal, in some ways, than any other record I own."

Steely Dan: Aja

9. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Yeah, I find it odd that some think people into technical and complex metal music would not like Steely Dan. Is this stereotype thinking, like we’re all knuckle-dragging morons?

dlokazip and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  10. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Do It Again or Reelin', because it's one of the closest to sort of West Coast rock and I think it's easier for some people to get a handle on that - and the latter has that big guitar solo for guitar boys to pore over. The ones that got me hooked were Kid Charlemagne and Haitian Divorce. Having said that, my favourte albums now are Katy and Aja

11. CriticalMaasCollectibles

CriticalMaasCollectibles Singularity Watcher

That's the one I would pick. Not just a great song, but also great life advice.
    Plus it shows that beneath all the layers of cynicism & in-jokes, there is a lot of heart in Steely Dan.

Michael Macrone and MRamble like this.
  12. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

"Any Major Dude"--#1 on my list of the Dan's missed A-side single opportunities. (If there are more than one.)

MRamble likes this.
  13. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Yes it is!

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Reeling in the Years

that'll reel them in for sure...

MRamble likes this.
  15. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident Thread Starter

Haha I wonder? Also wondered if he also had been doing that often in live performances on tour during that time...?

My theory was that it was his personal homage to CBS, the Tiffany Network, who often used to air The Wizard of Oz annually. I could see little Walter Becker gathered around the TV as a youngster watching the annual tradition with his family.

16. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I grew up with all the Top 40 hits, but this was the song that hooked me.

Mullin likes this.
  17. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I don't think they're 'difficult' through their first 4 albums. Royal Scam is a bit of a bore for me, despite a couple good songs. Things get fairly harmonically complicated after that, 'Aja' and 'West of Hollywood' as complex as most jazz. 7 note chords! Augmented 13ths! Their genius is they make it mostly accessible.

If I were trying to make a case for them to someone who liked mainstream rock, I'd say start at at the beginning and proceed chronologically (skipping 'Through with Buzz')

If I were trying to make a case for them to someone who liked jazz, I'd say start with "Two Against Nature" and proceed reverse chronologically (skipping 'Through with Buzz') through "Countdown".

18. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

Green Earrings. Funky groove that makes you wanna move.

19. Monosterio

You think "Through with Buzz" is the worst song on the first eight Dan albums?

20. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Almost tied with 'Everything You Did' and 'Change of the Guard'. But at the end of the day, TWB wins!

Monosterio likes this.
  21. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Unfortunately, I'm that friend who just cant get into them. :shrug:

I had "Deacon Blues" come on random, and skipped it. I'm okay with a few songs though.

MRamble likes this.
  22. Monosterio

Wow! It's somewhere in the middle of their catalog for me. But I could name entire Dan sides and even whole albums I prefer it to (the latter being from their second go-round).

23. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

'Mr Steely Dan' has a special message for you, courtesy of their former MC 'Jerome'

shadowcurtain and Bingo Bongo like this.
  24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

While I gave my reasons as to why a Dan fan isn't necessarily the best person to find an "accessible" song for a non-fan to take to heart, my choice is "Time Out Of Mind". Moderately-familiar, and "benign" of the traits of the band that would normally turn a non-fan off from the very characteristics a fan would want you to embrace. But, "accessibility" being the route to acceptance, "Time-" offers a smoothness, a lack of snark, and a nice rhythmic hook. This could work.

MRamble likes this.
  25. Countermoon

Countermoon Well-Known Member

I've always liked the version on Alive in America.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.