Converting DSD files to FLAC (computer noob alert!)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bill Mac, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

You could just play them directly from the computer using JRiver or foobar, they both convert to PCM on the fly for playback, you just would have to select what sample rate and how much gain to use, example using foobar below.

Or if you really want to play from FLAC files with the Oppo, foobar can easily convert, as above you would just select sample rate and gain. You'd have to verify the gain setting doesn't result in any clipping on the PCM files...

[​IMG]

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm aware of that.
    Thank you both, much appreciated!

3. Bill Mac

Thanks, much appreciated! I'll check out Foobar but as posted earlier I'm seriously computer challenged. But time to tighten up the old chin strap and get in the game :winkgrin:!

Kyhl likes this.
  4. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

Good luck in whatever is your trying to accomplish

Bill Mac likes this.
  5. Bill Mac

Thank you! Who knows maybe I'll actually figure it out ;).

6. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Do you know that the Marantz will convert them back to DSD internally? Better to keep them in DSD rather than have multiple conversions.
    Often so because FLAC is compressed PCM. The compression is significant.
    Yes, it is a good converter but it will not rip the SACDs.
    You can play the DSD files off your hard drive.
    :thumbsup:

Tajo1960 and Kyhl like this.
  7. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Forum Resident

When you convert to PCM, be sure to use multiples of 44.1kHz (88.2, 176.4, 352.8). According to this in-depth article, 88.2-24-bit is the sweet spot. I've converted all of my SACD rips to ALAC and FLAC at this rate and when I play my DSD files I have roon setup to convert to 88.2/24 for compatibility with my DAC.

Something else that article mentions is that DSD was designed as an archive format that was intended to be converted.

marcb likes this.
  8. Rich-n-Roll

Any time you convert a file from it's original intended format your going to lose something in the transfer, the thing I was trying to find out is what the need was for the conversion in the first place was because of lack sound quality for storage and space concerns ? Depending on the intended platform PC or Mac I know that both companies make stand alone or there are after market software that can do that on either platform

For myself I cannot hear a difference in DSD Flac PCM there all lossless

Tajo1960 and Brudr like this.
  9. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Understood. Frankly, I do not worry about "storage and space." Storage is inexpensive and compact. I have a 64Tb NAS that is less than 1 cu.ft. and is located in a convenient place in another room. It wasn't that cheap but it was built incrementally as the collection grew.

Kyhl and Rich-n-Roll like this.
  10. Bill Mac

I wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts and suggestions :)!

As I looked further would using a HDMI de-embedder be a good alternative? I did some reading on this and the KanexPro de-embedder was well reviewed. It would enable me to play SACD, DVD-A and Blu-ray Audio with HDMI to the KanexPro and then to the Marantz SA-KI Ruby. This alternative would relieve me of getting into DSD conversion and the anxiety of dealing with different computer programs.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...MIzbCbnYC19QIVUP_jBx1xdATSEAQYASABEgKOhfD_BwE

11. Rich-n-Roll

Neither do I actually I listen to CD's and stream my local jazz station

12. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Sorry to say, nope. From what I see DSD only goes into the Ruby via USB or a disk which is normal for DSD. The de-embedder would require a conversion to PCM then PCM would be output via coax or toslink.

13. Bill Mac

I'm aware that the de-embedder converts DSD to PCM. If I'm not mistaken it's essentially the process that would take place if I converted the DSD files to PCM with any of the suggested conversion programs. To clarify this is just for playing DSD files from a hard drive connected to the Oppo 203. Connecting the hard drive direct to the SA-KI Ruby would be a navigational nightmare.

14. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

If the Oppo is the output then it will do the conversion to PCM to send the audio out via HDMI. Might as well use the a coax out from the Oppo if that's an option. Not something I've tried so I don't know if it would work but you could try it before adding another piece to the chain.

Bill Mac likes this.
  15. Tajo1960

Tajo1960 Tajo = tayo (tata, dad ~ in slang)

One of the additional options is to buy a laptop, install a foobar player and listen to your dsd without any conversion.
    If anyone has already suggested what has been written - my apologies. But I don't think I saw it.
    It is a great pity to lose dsd files in unnecessary conversion. There is simply no need for that. Listen to your dsd without converting to FLAC format or any other.
    You are installing Foobar2000 player on your laptop. Oppo has a USB Input. Connect the laptop to the Oppo (USB AB cable) and everything works great! Connect an external hdd to a laptop, of course.
    Foobar reads dsd (and everything else) very well. Listen to your dsd files in their original format and format. I repeat - it is a great pity to convert them. Totally unnecessary!
    OK, this is just my thinking and suggestion.

gd0 and Kyhl like this.
  16. Bill Mac

Brilliant! If I could like a post a 1000 times I gladly would! I just set the SACD Output setting of the Oppo 203 to PCM and sure enough it's outputting 88.2k/24 via optical to the SA-KI Ruby. I really can't believe I didn't try this! No need to convert the DSD files to PCM as the 203 is now doing that. No need to spend $80 on an HDMI de-embedder. THANK YOU!

mikedifr0923, gd0 and Kyhl like this.
  17. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

That is good news. Now you can try comparing the sound, assuming you are using the analog output of the Ruby. Might want to try the differences without DSP room corrections of the preamp as that would include a conversion back to PCM, some futzing, then back to analog.

Bill Mac likes this.
  18. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Forum Resident

Well, there's one small reason to consider converting your DSD files to PCM. The Oppo doesn't support gapless playback with DSD but it does with FLAC.

Tajo1960 and Bill Mac like this.
  19. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Yup. Desktop players become ultimate universal players in this manner. I use JRiver myself. Plays EVERYthing, no fuss.

I would remove the Oppo from the chain altogether. Here is one of a few reasons why:
    You might say 'so what?', but just try to enjoy Dark Side Of The Moon with a buncha interruptions between all those segueing tracks.

(Note: if you listen to 5.1 surround music, you must arrange for HDMI connections to an AV receiver.)

20. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

That's a good option for future plans. Sell the Oppo for a laptop or nuc plus a cheaper disc spinner. I'm shopping for an upgraded nuc as I type this. Then add another cheaper disc spinner as a transport to get surround sound to the pre/pro via HDMI for when that mood hits otherwise send stereo (pcm and dsd) to the Ruby via USB to analog out to the pre.

That's pretty much where I am after having used foobar for years, jriver for years, audirvana for a year, and now roon. Nuc USB out upsamping everything to 2xDSD via HQP to a DSD converter. Similar to where @Bill Mac is headed using his DSD DAC. I need more horsepower in the Nuc though so it can get to 4xDSD into the DAC. Hence the shopping.

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Both Foobar and DBPower work well. Haven't used anything else for these conversions. Take your time and make sure you understand the settings before you proceed, and keep a back up copy of the files just in case. Be careful adding gain with these as mentioned upthread.

22. Tajo1960

Useful observation :)
    It may be OT, but it's not bad to say that JRiver player doesn't support playing ISO.bin files - image audio discs. At least that's how it was the last time I checked.
    So, whoever decides to turn their audio CD collection into an ISO.bin collection (CD images) and play it with JRiver - I don't think they will be able to do that.
    On the contrary, Foobar does it without any problems :)

23. Tajo1960

:) Or any concert album that was recorded as a whole ... that's awful then :(

gd0 likes this.
  24. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

So when I convert my DSD64 file to 24/88.2 FLAC using dBpoweramp, do I need to apply a low pass filter? The dBPoweramp DSD conversion settings indicate that I do not have to but I'm still not clear on that.

25. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

When converting dsf to flac should you use dither or no dither?