Cook show host Julia Child has died.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Aug 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

Sad news.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040813/ap_en_tv/obit_child_2

TV Cook Show Host Julia Child Dies

NEW YORK - Julia Child, whose warbling, encouraging voice and able hands brought the intricacies of French cuisine to American home cooks through her television series and books, died in her sleep three days before what would have been her 92 birthday.

"America has lost a true national treasure," Nicholas Latimer, director of publicity for Alfred A. Knopf publishing, said in a statement Friday. "She will be missed terribly."

The statement said she died Thursday at her home in Santa Barbara, Calif.

2. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

3. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Amen :( ... bona petite, Julia :) ...

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

She never skimped on anything, including honesty, joy and inspiration. I loved her.

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Despite the patrician sound of her voice, Child was someone who made cooking a meal like it was not only fun to do, but especially for you. R.I.P....

:ed:

6. Sckott

She also lived like a true French woman. Wine and butter, lots of it, she lived LONG. Pretty amazing, I think....

7. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

She was a class act - seemed to enjoy life so much. Yes, she never skimped on the butter; didn't do her any harm.

Remember Dan Ackroyd's Julia Child skit on SNL?

8. Sckott

When she cut herself? :laugh:

Yeah, on the air she let things roll. Even when things went wrong, she kept going. Good ol' PBS in the early 70's!

9. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

OK...I'll be the one to bring it up:

She was a lovely and talented woman.
    I hope she rests in peace and the best to her family, friends and viewers.

That said: I love the bit that Dan Aykroyd did on her on SNL.
    With respect.

Peace-
    Norm

10. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

sad news. I think everyone grew up watching her. The Akroyd bit was hilarious, and it was what came to mind when I read this thread title.

11. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Amen to that!!! She was living proof that heredity and demeanor have as much to do with your longevity(maybe even more so) than what you eat. She lived life to the fullest and seemed to be filled with a joyful spirit that was infectious. Julia Child was one of the main reasons I love PBS. God bless her and rest peacefully. :) And I totally agree, that SNL spoof with Ackroyd was hysterical!! :D

12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

She had a delightful sense of humor. I've seen more than one interview of her talking about the classic SNL bit, she loved it.

I remember seeing her on the old NBC Letterman show a few times, Dave always seemed to like her. On one appearance the stove wouldn't work, so she asked the crew for a butane torch and improvised on the spot without missing a beat.

A wonderful person. RIP Julia, you earned it.

Dan C

13. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I was lucky enough to have met her one time. A very nice lady she was. RIP.
    A rough month or so for TV chefs with the Frug just passing a couple weeks ago.

14. billh

billh Senior Member

I really enjoyed her cooking shows. At least she lived a long and probably good life.

15. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Julia always said eat what you like, but use moderation - very sound advice...

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

R.I.P...Julia, you were very entertaining, The Hitchcock of the cooking world.:)

17. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

Being a huge fan of cooking shows, this really got to me. She was a delightful personality. R.I.P.

One fond memory I have of her is when she was on Oprah and Oprah wanted to see what was in her fridge and she had beer. I thought that was cute.

18. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident

Al Franken said on his radio show today that he had originally written that SNL sketch for Walter Matthau, who opted out. Akroyd took it, but apparently needed a few attempts to master the "bleeding".

She led an eventful life -- I read an interesting review of a biography (or autobiography? - I can't remember) on her in the New Yorker years ago. Definitely a local hero in our part of the country.

19. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Eric Idle was the guest host of that particular episode. Since uncontrolled bleeding was a Monty Python staple, I always assumed that Idle had a hand in the writing of the Julia Child skit.

"Save the liver...!" :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.