Cool 60s & 70s Movies coming out on DVD Tuesday

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Jul 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff Thread Starter

MGM has a slew of cool 60s & 70s films coming out on DVD Tuesday July 15. First and foremost are 4 Billy Wilder films made for United Artists. They include:

One, Two, Three
    Kiss Me Stupid
    The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes
    Avanti

Also, if you haven't been keeping up with their previous releases, they are releasing a Box Set of every Billy Wilder film made for United Artists, which includes, in addition to the above titles:

Witness for the Prosecution
    Some Like it Hot (SE)
    The Apartment
    The Fortune Cookie
    Irma La Douce

On top of the Billy Wilder release, they are also releasing one of Richard Lester's lesser known, but highly regarded films, "Juggernaut".

It's a light week for new releases, but I'm really looking forward to these underrated classics. "One, Two, Three", in particular, is perhaps the only cold war comedy to give "Dr. Strangelove" a run for its money (the Wilder-penned Lubitsch film "Ninotchka" is disqualified only because it pre-dates the actual cold war) and features James Cagney's last filmed leading role .

Regards,

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Allow me to put in a plug for The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes. This one is rarely mentioned in listings of Wilder's best, but it's actually an extraordinarily well-crafted film, displaying great affection for the character. I highly recommend it.

3. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

I'll cast my vote for "One, Two, Three"...! One of my faves!

(Right up there with Cook & Moore's "Bedazzled"... and where's**that** DVD??)

Remember, folks...

"Any civilization that can produce Shakespeare, the Taj Mahal and striped toothpaste can't be all bad."

:D

-Kevin

4. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

I'll second that recommendation. :thumbsup:

5. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

One, Two, Three is one zany movie, and shows just how great Cagney was later in his career. Definitely worth a look.

6. chaz

chaz Senior Member

I sure wish they would release Michaelangelo Antonioni's "Blow Up" on dvd. One of my all time favourite movies from the 60's. An absolutely phenomenal snapshot of swinging London in the mid 60's.

7. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

I'm still spooked at how good "The Glenn Miller Story" DVD was....cant wait till I get my Hi Def Projector this fall.

8. Ken_McAlinden

I neglected to mention that the 1966 Woody Allen film, "What's Up, Tiger Lily", was also released on DVD yesterday by Image. This was the film where Woody took two films in a Japanese B-Grade James Bond knock-off series, edited bits and pieces of them together, and re-dubbed it into an extremely broad comedy with gratuitous inserts of Woody and the Loving Spoonful.

The DVD has both the theatrical and the home video dubs. They had some different jokes, and are both amusing. There is also a special feature that makes it easy to compare and contrast the two versions.

Regards,

9. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Hey, thanks for the heads up on that one, I'd forgotten about it coming out. I'll have to look for it over the weekend.
    :righton:

10. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

Kiss Me, Stupid

Is Kiss Me, Stupid the American version or the "slightly dirtier European version" that played at Film Forum in NYC a year or so ago?

11. Ken_McAlinden

Re: Kiss Me, Stupid

It's the "slightly dirtier" version with the alternate scene available in the "extra features" section of the DVD. The American version has a Beatles joke that is "slightly funnier" ;) than the one in the European version, so even though it is a bit of a cop-out, I'm glad they kept it in the extras.

For those of you confused by the cryptic posts, the content of the scene and the difference between the two cuts can't really be discussed specifically without giving away an enormous plot spoiler.

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.