Cool Vintage Record Shop Signs - Photos

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tribute, Mar 29, 2017.

1. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

You must REALLY love that pic, Tribute -- that's at least the 3rd time for that one.
    Here's a vintage record store sign that hasn't been in this thread yet:
    [​IMG]
    (from bassist Michael Steele's facebook page, which is perhaps why she's the only Bangle seen here?)

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member Thread Starter

It would be great if you could hang out with me when I go to record stores. I could ask you if I already have a particular record and you would know. I could save on all the doubles and triples that I buy by mistake.

3. Tribute

Forgive the very poor taste

[​IMG]

4. groundharp

Hey, sounds good to me! Hang out with a buddy, go to record stores... win-win, right?

5. Tribute

When I come home with maybe 100 LPs or CDs from local sales, I tell my wife that I just saved us a ton of money.

[​IMG]

Rooster_Ties, Fender Relic and uzn007 like this.
  6. Tribute

We'd have to meet halfway. Maybe in St. Louis.

7. groundharp

Know any good record stores in St. Louis? (a lead-in for more posts in this thread if I ever heard one!)

How about Austin TX instead?

8. Tribute

The label on this photo said it was a St. Louis record store. I'll converse with the lady to hold the record player, while you go through the 45 bins

[​IMG]

RobRoyF likes this.
  9. Tribute

This one is supposed to be outside St. Louis.

Is your time machine tuned up?

If you can distract the guys, I'll talk to the ladies about records and keep a headset available.

[​IMG]

Fender Relic, uzn007 and RobRoyF like this.
  10. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

“Independently owned record stores are where I started to hear all the stuff like The Smiths and The Replacements and The Minutemen and The Meat Puppets in the mid-eighties, stuff that was too ‘weird’ to be mainstream…”
    - Terry Brooks Original owner Haffa's Records

Sadly, Haffa’s closed it’s doors permanently late 2017. I was fortunate enough to have visited the shop in Athens, OH and get this shot of the store front (below). There is a very nice article about the history of the shop including fantastic vintage photos and how he came up with the name here:
    Let Me Sing My Message to You: Saying Goodbye to Haffa's Records - WOUB Digital

[​IMG]

ajax25 and Tribute like this.
  11. Tribute

Brooklyn. Inside looking out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Tribute

Every parade should have a float from a record shop. But used, independent shops must have cheap floats.

[​IMG]

Fender Relic and marmil like this.
  13. Tribute

I'd like to say that this is my 9th wife (with her 5th husband), but I am getting forgetful.

[​IMG]

14. groundharp

This WOULD be a great sign for a vintage record shop... but it isn't!
    [​IMG]

Tribute likes this.
  15. Tribute

Winnipeg

[​IMG]

16. Tribute

Unknown location

[​IMG]

17. Tribute

Florence Italy

[​IMG]

18. Tribute

Some record stores could not compete

[​IMG]

Fender Relic likes this.
  19. groundharp

Clues: "NoLa", "Crescent City"? Come on, Tribute, you can figure that out!

20. Tribute

I rely on my "thinkers". I spend so much time emptying my head. Mostly, because I need more space for music. Thought can come later.

D.B. likes this.
  21. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

Memory Lane Records is hidden in plain sight in the middle of a struggling west side neighborhood of Columbus, Ohio. Occupying the bottom floor of a nearly dilapidated building for 20 years, owner Al Sheppard supports his community and is determined to stay open despite the issues in the surrounding neighborhood.

[​IMG]

You’ll find parking on east side of the building that may have been paved at one time decades ago. Narrow, dirt packed carpet paths border sagging shelves holding thousands of records and tables of unsorted piles. Stacks of dusty sleeves warn away asthma sufferers. You can inspect your potentially unearthed treasure under the dimly lit vintage Coca-Cola tiffany chandelier but any LPs you wish to purchase will be carefully compared to the listings on a worn 2004 Goldmine Record Album Price Guide.

[​IMG]

My favorite thing to do is search through the wooden post-office box style drawers lined up along a wood paneled wall. After 3 visits, I only have a few rows left to have been through them all. Oh, and all 45s are just $3 each, no need to leaf through the Goldmine price guide.

Happy hunting!

~CJ

Tribute likes this.
  22. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

A lot of great photos and some shops... "Big Al's Record Barn" and "Mill Valley Records" I remember going to. Anyone recalls "The Used Record Shop" in San Francisco? It first was on the second floor above a record store on 8th, or 9th avenue than moved around the corner, but don't remember the street's name.

Tribute likes this.
  23. Tribute

Village Music, sometimes called Mill Valley Music (north of SF) was a legend. This thread is more about exteriors, but this place is worth seeing in old photos. Also pictured earlier in the thread
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

AWESOME Photos!

25. Tribute

Those photos, posters and sheet music covers were all autographed! The owner probably had the world's best music autograph collection. He showed me the stuff he did not put on display once. Amazing