Cord cutters - How many streaming services do you pay for?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by telliott, Nov 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

We use Netflix, Amazon Prime, and "Philo" (a TV streamer that carries a large # of basic-cable channels like History, Food Network, Animal Planet, IFC, etc., etc.)

For local programming we use the "LoCast" app but we basically use that to watch the morning news shows and that's about it. They're apparently facing a number of legal challenges from the TV networks so I don't know how much longer they're going to be available anyway...

2. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I read an article some years back that suggested that black and white shows will put you to sleep faster than color shows. The claim was that color excited your brain more than B & W. They had research that backed up the claim.

3. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Exactly the same thing for smartphone versus reading a book in bed.

4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Now I do Amazon Video, Netflix, and Starz. Amazon Prime Canada has all these new add on channels you can do a one month free trial for and then pay monthly at a lower cost than they are through my cable provider. That’s how I get Starz.

Crave + (which is Crave, Showtime, and HBO Canada) I now do through my cable provider instead of streaming because their servicers kept crashing for new shows like Game Of Thrones.

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I've been watching shows on Hulu, Showtime, HBO, Starz, Netflix, CBS Access, Sky and a couple others...but not watching them there. ;)
    And believe me, the popup tricks and gotchas that have intensified in the past year, tell me these folks know it's going on...they just can't seem to get it all shut down.

If you get the rhythm down as to how many times to shut down a new window, and where on the screen to find the real "play video" button, it's still worth it...so far.
    Until the Russian mind-control subliminals kick-in, I guess...:sigh:

6. I haven't cut the cord because I still like a few channels and channel-surfing on lazy days.

But I do subscribe to Netflix 4K and Spotify.

7. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Well, to update, in addition to Netflix UHD streaming, we now also have The Criterion Channel. International news we get on YouTube feeds, docs and such from WETA via antenna...wouldn't dream of buying cable to have loads of channels we don't give a damn about. Our internet plan is about $90 a month, and that's because of Comcast's monopoly, but at least it's about 250 mbps.

C.

8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I have Amazon Prime through my brother's account. It's perfectly legal because Amazon has a family plan.

I have an HBO-GO account through a friend who has cable but doesn't watch anything streaming.

Mostly I watch free streaming channels on my Roku, principally Twit.tv which is a technology podcasting channel.

One excellent one that all everybody should get is Kanopy. You can get it through your local library. It's limited in the number of films you can view (12 per month through Kansas City's public library) but it's a worthwhile system. They have a lot of obscure indie and Art House films, and you might as well get it because you're paying for it with your taxes already.

ALAN SICHERMAN likes this.
  9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Nothing. I watch a handful of over-the-air channels for free with an indoor antenna.

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  10. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Two. Amazon Prime and Netflix.

But I'm pruning them next year as neither of us
    really watch enough to make them worth it.

Roku suits me fine. More than enough to keep
    us entertained. There is such a thing as too much.

11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Gotta love the people that would chastise someone for downloading music for free illegally but have no problem stealing video content. It’s amazing how we can justify things to ourselves no matter how hypocritical it is.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

still doing pretty good...none!

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have that too, but I never watch it my wife does...I loathe commercial broadcast television with a passion...especially the local news.

14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

A Twit fan! Been listening to Leo and friends for years. Amazing what he’s done with his network and with free material!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

I watch a lot of the different shows - This Week in Tech, This Week in Google, All About Android, Macbreak Weekly, but my favorite show, Know How, died when Padre went to the Vatican.

Jrr likes this.
  16. telliott

telliott Senior Member Thread Starter

I watch All About Android and a few others. You know Tom Merritt has taken over daily tech news with his DTNS with Sara Lane and Roger Chang. He streams on Twitch in the afternoon and releases the show on podcast and Youtube.

Jrr likes this.
  17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Surprised he got Sara Lane....I bet Leo isn’t all that happy about that. Thanks for the info...I didn’t know Tom was still doing this. I liked him and thought it was weird he left TWIT. You could kinda hear the tension between him and Leo. He was a guest about a year ago on This Week In Tech. Sounded good then. Well, back to Hollywood!

18. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I'm cutting the cord in about a month and switching over to You Tube TV. I figure it's the closest to cable TV without the cable so it'll be easier for me & my wife. We watch a lot of network shows and YouTube TV's DVR fits our lifestyle.

I hope it works. I'm so tired of paying Spectrum crazy money.

audiomixer likes this.
  19. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

We still have cable, but the only streaming service that we use is Netflix.

20. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

We do to. But we also get our internet, land line, HD-DVR, all the pay channels, home security and 2 cell phone lines for under $200 a month!
    Plus, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

One tiny thing you got to watch out for?

YouTube TV is considered a streaming service, not a cable system, by the NFL. I got a call from my sports crazed relative that the preseason Chiefs game couldn't be seen on YouTube TV. So I wound up talking my brother-in-law through cutting off a piece of cable and stripping it to turn it into a temporary antenna so he could pick up the local channel.

22. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'm told I can't discuss specifics here so I won't, but with my latest toy; a Mohu Leaf indoor antenna added to what I already have, I'm not missing ANYTHING and I'm paying zero for cable. Used to get Amazon, Netflix, and HBOGO, on top of a premium ATT cable bill. You can call me hypocritical all day long, I've been a supporter of HBO and the cable TV industry since its inception. Paid boatloads of cash for something that ultimately simply isn't worth it. It's all good!;)

23. noname74

I’m not talking about people using antennas to get OTA channels. Nothing wrong with that.

I was talking about people with android devices getting paid streaming channels for free.

24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I understood what you meant, but I'm one of 'those' people!;)

unclefred likes this.
  25. noname74

Oh. In that case you’re a thief. If you’re good with that then so be it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.