Could a Lennon copyright dump be forthcoming?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonology, Nov 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003 Thread Starter

With the appearance of the ALLMUSIC track listing (since removed) for "_1970 Sessions_", what appears to be a forthcoming copyright dump to protect All Things Must Pass, wouldn't it make sense that a similar collection is necessary to protect John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band?

Thanks to the mention/"leak" in the Gimme Some Truth. blu-ray book, it seems fairly certain that a box celebrating John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band is forthcoming sooner than later. However, it also appears unlikely that such a package will make it to the street before the end of the year. If this is indeed the case, wouldn't John's 1970 recordings require similar copyright protection?

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

2. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

It would make sense to do so and seems quite easy now with a limited streaming release option (that nobody knows of). It seems like both Harrison estate and Apple have used this route to protect their recent releases that have been delayed by the pandemic.

Mike McMann likes this.
  3. jfire

jfire Forum Resident

ok by me if it happens.

Sean and Remy like this.
  4. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

Same here.

5. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

The question is who will spot it and alert the rest of us!

6. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

The question will be "Will they Spotify it?"!!!

A 1969 copyright dump of Beatles material was made on Spotify, it's believed: given by one hand and snatched back the other, quicker than a blinking eye...!!!

Sean and sandmountainslim1 like this.
  7. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

The Harrison release was on All Music. Definitely need to watch that site.

8. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

So they don't even have to stream even long enough to HEAR for it to count as a "release" for copyright reasons?

ILovethebassclarinet and paul62 like this.
  9. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

I think a copyright holder is allowed one extension. So they should be ok for awhile.

10. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

I think the fact it was offered on a service like Spotify would be considered as evidence that the material was published for copyright extension purposes (I'm guessing): they might have gone through the motions of playing the playlist once after creating the playlist and then pulling it straight away!!

11. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003 Thread Starter

Another copyright question for the legal minds among us. Say a release was manufactured in 2020, but its release was delayed until 2021. Would the copyright extension have been satisfied - or would it have had to have been accessible in 2020?

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. Mr Hankey

Mr Hankey If you eat fiber on Xmas Eve...

C
    I saw that _1970 Sessions_ and it looked a lot like some of my old boots? What did you see that was new?

13. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

It happened. :)

14. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

You sound like Twin Peaks

joy stinson and walrus like this.
  15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It is when it is made available to the public that is relevant.
    And it is entirely speculative whether a court would rule that technically making something available to the public for a nanosecond would qualify. My hunch is it would not.

16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Hrm?

17. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I remain confused about the whole copyright dump issue. I'm sure someone explained that it isn't actually necessary. It would go a long way to explaining why there were no Beatles Recordings 1964-1966 sets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.