Court TV - Depp vs. Heard defamation trial

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pussycat, Apr 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

That's not really a victim's "job" though, is it. It's on the Prosecution. MeToo is a thing, whether you get the right help or not. But I'm less interested on how this affects show business cases, as real people with real lives that aren't under a public microscope constantly. I'm not going to take my cue from a ripped-from-the-tabloids trial, as to whether or not the Prosecution is doing their best.

2. Past Masters

Past Masters Beatles Fanthologist

Unless I'm missing something, this could absolutely affect non-celebrities. For decades people put up with harassment and abuse in the workplace, for a variety of reasons, but often because the abuser was in a position of power over the victim. At least to some degree, MeToo has changed this, and if you are facing abuse from a superior in the workplace you can go on social media and call the person out by name. Nobody wants that to happen to them and people are all now aware that it's a possibility. In most cases people will side with the victim, and there will be some action taken against the abuser by the company, because it's not a good PR move for them to not address it.

So my question is this, when someone comes forward in this way, are they subject to a libel suit? And if so, will they lose the suit if it can't be demonstrated that abuse took place? Because a lot of the time, harassment and abuse simply leave no hard evidence behind. If so, the fate of the abuser may still be decided by public opinion, regardless of the outcome of the case, but the fate of the victim will be much worse if they lose.

If this were to happen in a high profile case, it sends a message to the general public, that you better not call someone out unless you have some evidence to back up your claims of abuse.

Not meaning to argue, just want to be clear about why I think this case may have ramifications. I could totally be wrong!

Dillydipper likes this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well stated.

Past Masters likes this.
  4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Any girl that puts her turd on my bed is no friend of mine.

You know, that would make a good lyric

groundharp and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Depp, what can I say. Pretty much could have been the Brando or Dean of his generation. Scissorhands, Gilbert Grape etc..what a great start.

Then he just went completely weird. Im all for eccentric, artsy and whatever a motivation may be. I dont care. Dress up in a Godzilla costume and rub peanutbutter on your nose in your spare time. I..dont..care. But when an artist just goes "out there" for the sake of "out there" then yeah, no. Horrible choices of movies for the most part with weirdness cult of personality taking over his gift.

I hated his Cpt Jack character. Personal taste perhaps. And then to do like 5 of them or whatever? Money day. Or even worse he thinks it is his iconic role and legacy. Which I guess it is.

To me Depp is the definition of missed opportunity.

Looks like he is doing ok in this case though. Im with the room. Put them in a room together and leave them to their own devices. Crazies.

Im hoping the jury gives zero to either.

6. Depp has done quite well with his career (his choices of which roles to pursue). The fact that he goes (or went) after roles that are off the well-tread trails is admirable, IMHO. He's not poor by any stretch.

His choice of roles, movie-wise, is (overall) better than his choices of marriage material.

Never get married again, JD. But then again ... when the heart rules the mind ....

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  7. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own

pirates aside, which he made for his kids, his filmography's excellent. i looked through his imdb and i can't see a period of films i don't like. i read a biography of him and it shows how 'fame' and 'wealth' if not handled responsibly can mess up a person

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

The Me Too movement has been mentioned a few times in this thread. This movement started with absolutely great intentions but I have struggled with some of the impact it has had.

The media, in particular, seems to have gone to the other extreme and decided that their approach is to 'believe all victims' before a court has even decided that there has been a victim.

A perfect storm has been created by the Me Too movement which means that celebrities are particularly vulnerable to false accusations when the media feel that they cannot question the motives of accusers.

I stand by the principle of 'innocent until proven guilty'.

Stencil, johnod, SoCalWJS and 2 others like this.
  9. Past Masters

It may not be apparent from my above posts, but I agree with you and have wrestled with the movement quite a bit. It's a tough balance and I agree that the innocent until guilty idea is very important, especially with regards to the legal system. Also, I'm sure it goes without saying that there is no guarantee that the court of public opinion is right about anything!

I appreciate what you're saying. Another thing to factor in is that innocent until proven guitly actually means "not guilty" until proven guilty, which is precisely why the verdict is called "not guilty". It does not mean that innocence has been established, but that guilt has not. So I still lean towards the idea that we should be wary of putting legal pressure on people making accustions. When the accused has been found "not guitly", that is not the same thing as proving that the accusations were false. It just means that they were not proven to be true.

But yeah it's a very tricky balance.

10. zombie dai

the thing which concerned me most about me too was the 'yeah, we all knew' response. in terms of daily impact i think there has been little. in work places, for example, those in charge are still the same who knew about it and let it go. if impartial help is made available through a new system, that'll be good

Past Masters likes this.
  11. zombie dai

may i ask your original intentions in starting this thread?

12. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I think she’s taken a break from the forum.

bubba-ho-tep and zombie dai like this.
  13. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

To answer your question, yes they will be subject to a law suit IF it can be proven that they are making false allegations in order to get back at a former partner. Depp is claiming that he never hit her and that she made false police reports. The officers who testified so far all say that they didn't see any injuries on her and didn't consider her a victim of domestic abuse. There has also been evidence that she coerced Depp into letting her and her friends live rent free in several of his properties or she would publicly file a restraining order against him. He is saying she made all of this up in order to extort him and has provided a lot of evidence that she did just that. To be fair, she hasn't presented her side of the case yet. It's too early to tell what the outcome will be but it doesn't appear that she's not an innocent victim.

SandAndGlass and Past Masters like this.
  14. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

As far as talent IMO Ed Wood, Donnie Brasco, Gilbert Grape are more my taste. As far as guilt only he and Amber really know the truth. If she really took a dump in bed that is sick but not abuse.

15. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

Does that sound like something a victim of domestic violence would do? Or is more something like an aggressive bully would?

johnod likes this.
  16. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Good stand to take.

But also consider that many things take place between two individuals, where there is no other witness to collaborate.

Likewise, someone may be the only witness to an event where there is no one else to substantiate the account.

Though it might appear to be unfortunate, to speak out in a manner that is likely to cause harm to another individual, where there exists no evidence to substantiate the claim, is basically wrong, reckless and complete irresponsible.

People should clearly understand that engaging in such actions can and often will open you up to a defamation lawsuit.

Bink likes this.
  17. Or when the little head does the thinking...

18. Past Masters

A fair point. If I was speaking the truth though, my conscience would be clear. Not only that, anyone under oath is compelled to tell the truth. But you are not wrong though and the legal ramifications are something to consider.

As I said, it’s a tough balance. We don’t want a society where it’s too easy to get away with abusing people, and we don’t want one where it’s too easy to get away with making false accusations either. I completely get that.

Innocent until proven guilty is time tested. Totally on the same page with that.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. zombie dai

from the tv show the newsroom. i think it fits well with the current discussion here

20. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

SRC likes this.
  21. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

It seems like that's the best system we've got at the moment.
    As well , I've seen no one come up with a better system so far.
    "Believe all women" is just absolute rubbish that makes a nice sound bite.
    We all know, male or female, women who lie.
    So we know women are not for some unknown reason, incapable of telling a lie,so to "Believe all women" is complete drivel.
    As would "believe all men" .

What we should believe, is the provable facts.
    It may not be perfect , but it is impartial.

22. SandAndGlass

There are also individuals for whom "drama" is an integral part of there everyday lives. These are typically people who refuse to take charge of and shoulder the responsibilities of their everyday lives.

From my observations, these individuals are always the victim. Something is always happening to them. Unfortunately, these individuals are always insistent on sharing their own personal drama with the rest of the world.

zombie dai, johnod and Past Masters like this.
  23. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I don't believe anything that comes from Amber Heard...except for poop.

Ron P., budwhite and SandAndGlass like this.
  24. SandAndGlass

Maybe we need a new nickname for her?

How about Amber T***?

Ron P. and budwhite like this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

any link?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.