Court TV - Depp vs. Heard defamation trial

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pussycat, Apr 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Yes - some people on social media seem to have picked up on it and everyone else appeared to run with it but no one seemed to be able to share a clip of her saying that. Apologies for not clarifying my earlier post.

Lars Medley likes this.
  2. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Wouldn't surprise me if he realizes that the toothpaste is already out of the tube in regards to his reputation, but wants to make it clear that she is just as much in the wrong here as him, and by having televised proceedings, it is then all out there for everyone to see. As I said before, it is hard to much of either as human beings after reading all of the garbage both have done and said.

Ron P. and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

From what little I've seen, both seem like pieces of work, but only one is heaving glassware around, and only one thinks crapping on the bed is a great prank.

Manimal and DarkSideOfTheMoo like this.
  4. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Based on what Depp said on the stand I think he realises that his reputation is ruined irrespective of the outcome of this trial.

It is also my understanding that he was in favour of having the trial filmed. Some people might say that suggests that he doesn't have anything to hide. Who knows.

Now the trial is on a week long break it will be interesting to consider who might benefit from that break. You would think it might allow Depp's team who would have the time to review what Heard has said on the stand compared to her previous testimony.

5. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Yes, I agree with him wanting everyone to see what a piece of work she is. She is definitely struggling with Borderline Personality Disorder, and absolutely Histrionic Disorder. I know quite a bit, (unfortunately), about these. My wife has BPD and has been getting treatment for it, DBT, for two years now. Histrionic Disorder is sort of in the same category but these types are given to mire in high drama situations. Thus her testimony on the stand. They are always looking for a fight and don't have the ability to ever back down even if they are wrong. They can NEVER be wrong.

boboquisp, johnny q and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

" Johnny Depp Installs Bird Spikes To Prevent Amber Heard From Pooping On Bed

Sources confirm that after seeing the bird spikes, Amber Heard, made famous for her role in leaving droppings on Johnny Depp's bed, screeched in dissent, flew around the bedroom's massive chandelier a few times, then soared out the window in search of her lawyers."

[​IMG]

7. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Social media have seized on her bizarre "My dog stepped on a bee" moment and come up with a myriad of phrases:

8. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

[​IMG]

Which is worse, getting sucked into your bed or finding out your wife pooped in it?

Danny Coffin likes this.
  9. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

In the recordings she didn’t seem as helpless as she makes out. They just need to go their separate ways for sure.

10. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

That's my instinct, but all I keep thinking is that whoever loses this case will launch an appeal which will prolong this further.

Manimal likes this.
  11. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own

12. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Yup.

Ghostworld likes this.
  13. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own

read the full article here

Opinion | Why We Love to Watch a Woman Brought Low

14. I'm no fan of Piers Morgan, but I don't see much to find fault with in his article. If I cared any less about those two, I'd be dead.

15. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Yes the big bad men folks is picking on Amber.
    Let's conveniently forget that she's the one whose had it her way for several years now, collecting money claiming abuse, darling of the me too movement, acting gigs, and her name suddenly well known, all on Depp's back.
    Constant fake crying on the stand, nary a single tear.
    Yep I'm all broken up about the scrutiny she's brought unto herself, that doesn't seem to be playing in her favour at the moment.

teodoro, Ghostworld and Dudley Morris like this.
  16. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Objection
    Objection
    Objection
    Objection
    Objection
    Objection
    Objection
    Objection
    Objection

Past Masters likes this.
  17. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Some quite interesting testimony today about social media - largely around the idea that Johnny Depp's attorney had made negative statements about Amber Heard which was then picked up by pro-Depp social media accounts, leading to a loss in Heard's earning potential.

Things got quite amusing when Depp's team introduced a new witness who had admitted to engaging with one of Depp's supporters on Twitter - an account called 'thatumbrellaguy'. Heard's team seems to consider this account to be one of the pro-Depp 'ring leaders on social media!

DarkSideOfTheMoo likes this.
  18. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Never heard of these Q score charts before.

19. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Quite an eventful day in court yesterday with Depp's team calling a number of witnesses during the rebuttal stage of the trial.

For example, we had a staff member from the Hicksville travel lodge who challenged Amber Heard's suggestion that Depp assaulted her there.

There was a journalist who had previously worked at TMZ who suggested that Amber had orchestrated the press attention when she filed for divorce and applied for a restraining order.

A police officer who witnessed Amber assaulting someone at an airport.

Depp himself was recalled to the stand where he challenged some of the defence's case. As with his previous testimony he seems to find it a challenge to give yes / no answers! He appeared quite nervous, pausing and stuttering a lot.

If I have understood correctly, there seems to have been an error made by both legal teams. Amber Heard's team entered a text into evidence that they said was sent by Depp, that they suggested was further evidence of Depp's bad treatment of women. Depp said he didn't believe he wrote the text. And indeed, both legal teams seem to have missed the fact that it says 'incoming' next to the text, which means it was sent to Depp, rather than sent by him. It will be interesting to see if Depp's team realise the error and ask that the text is removed from evidence!

20. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Well both sides have now rested their case and tomorrow each side has 2 hours for closing arguments before jury retires. Anyone have any thoughts on what either side needs to emphasise in their closing arguments?

For Depp's side, I think there are a few inconsistencies, particularly in Amber's testimony, that they could poke holes in. For example, it was interesting that for several weeks her team have been arguing that she did not write the op-ed that is at the centre of the case, however one of the last pieces of testimony that the jury heard today was Amber saying "that is why I wrote the op-ed". Inconsistencies like this will enable them to suggest to the jury that they cannot believe the rest of Amber's testimony.

I am guessing that Amber's side will probably be placing Depp's drink and drug use at the centre of their closing arguments. They will also be wanting to spotlight the texts that don't show him in the best light. There are also several photographs of injuries and property destruction that I imagine they will use to show evidence of domestic violence.

It was actually interesting watching this afternoons session after Depp and Heard had left court and the legal teams were discussing with the judge what the jury instructions will be. It gave a much bigger insight into civil proceedings and how it all works.

I don't envy the task that the jury has. There is a lot of evidence and testimony to consider and although I am generally leaning towards Depp's side, after listening to a lot of the evidence I certainly have many doubts.

Whatever the verdict, I am sure this will not be the end of this sorry saga. The losing party will no doubt take the case to appeal or to a higher court etc unfortunately.

21. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Well closing arguments are done. Now it's up to the jury.

Closing arguments are an opportunity for the attorneys to do some grand standing to try to sway the jury and I assume are also mindful of the cameras and the opportunities that offers their career.

I thought Depp's team presented very clearly and expressed themselves well, however I do struggle with some of their aggressive language towards Amber Heard. I know it is the job of the opposing counsel to pick holes and weaknesses but I thought they were quite brutal! What bothered me in particular is that it was part of their case that Amber Heard suffers from borderline personality disorder and histrionic disorder. If they believe this then shouldn't they have presented their case with a little more sympathy to the fact that she has these mental health conditions?

In terms of Heard's closing statements, I thought the male attorney Mr Rottenborn presented their case very clearly, however her female attorney, Ms Behedof was less successful. She seemed to be rambling and was not easy to follow. If I has been a jury member I probably would have switched off.

I am assuming the jury won't be making a decision today unless they all find that they have made up their minds already, but I would have thought they would want to review some of the evidence in more detail. So I am guessing Tuesday at the earliest!

22. Kjasonl

Kjasonl " I'm on a low budget"

I don't pay attention. It's just sad.

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

This exchange cracked me up.

"In his testimony, Depp said that after Heard auditioned for the comic-book film, "She asked me if I'd speak to [Warner Bros.]"

"I made a phone call and I spoke to three upper-echelon Warner Bros. executives ... and I told them—," continued Depp before an objection was sustained. "I can only say that she ultimately did get the job in the film. I suppose I curbed their worries to some degree."

During her cross-examination, Heard was asked by Depp's attorney Camille Vasquez whether it was true Depp got her hired on Aquaman. Heard fired back and said, "Excuse me? No, Ms. Vasquez — I got myself that role by auditioning. That's how that works."

Yeah, right. LOL. And the Baldwins, Carradines, Skargards, Coppolas, Bridges, Waywans, Fondas, Barrymores, Douglas, Arquettes, Afflects and Sheen families and all got their roles based on auditions only!

HA!
    I worked in talent management, you go after the lousy sibling to get access to the real star. We were chasing Ray Fiennes for awhile...

Last edited: May 27, 2022
  24. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Classic he said, she said.
    Airing of dirty laundry. Distasteful IMO.

Up to the jury now.
    If it were up to me, I'd find both at fault.

25. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

While the jury continues to deliberate Johnny is over here in the UK rocking out with Jeff Beck! He appeared at Jeff's Sheffield concert and then at the Royal Albert Hall last night:

teodoro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.