Cover versions we don’t need.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Action, May 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marshall66hendrix

Marshall66hendrix Senior Member.

Led zeps stairway to heaven always sticks in my mind! Sometimes there ain't no messing with the original and the best version....

2. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma

i like The Counting Crows but their version of Big Yellow Taxi was pretty bad imo

3. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Joan Baez - "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down," but then again, it was hard to avoid her anyway.

4. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma

within the last 10 years or so i remember hearing of cover of Give A Little Bit(Supertramp) and while it wasnt bad per se, the fact that the DJ(most of who are clueless) said it was better than the original soured me on it

5. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

Most people shouldn't mess with classics.

Jimmy Disco D likes this.
  6. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Cover versions we don't need ??? Most !!!

Anonamemouse likes this.
  7. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Poppycock.

ARK likes this.
  8. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

This abomination:

/thread

PyroMessiah and ARK like this.
  9. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

SF Bay Area. As a teen->"20 something" when I wanted to rock out - 'Got My Mind Set On You' wasn't a goto song. I think the video even had muppets in it - not sure the target audience - children?

My stations at the time - The Quake, Live105, KOME, KRQR - wasn't rocking that tune at the time - not sure which GH songs they were playing. Perhaps KFOG - but that station simply sucked.

GnR definitely introduced me to Knocking of Heavens door as a young person - though I wasn't a GnR fan but I did like their cover along with the Jungle song - never bought either though. Which is really the job of a Cover song - A band pays their respects by doing the cover - and bringing the song out to the masses.

So in reality - this thread is pretty negative for bashing covers - love them or hate them.

carlwm and PaoloOcco like this.
  10. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Mine too.

11. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I'm not really sure what your point is - and those songs were never played on the stations that I listened to as a young person in the SF Bay Area (Quake, Live105, KOME, KRQR) - 'got my mind set' absolutely terrible song. My point and only point is that GnR brought that song to the masses at the time - many not knowing of Dylan's original version (including me - Dylan wasn't in my tracklist at the time - nor really was GnR - but you couldn't help hearing the song everywhere.)

And like you said - it is a good cover.

12. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

You’re pretty funny! Muppets. Good one!

rebellovw likes this.
  13. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Because 1988.

14. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I don't care if it's Muppets or some of the best artists of all time - that song should never be covered. I've heard a number of covers and it's always "Why? What was the point?" It was perfect in 1966; leave it alone, you're never going to bring anything to this song that makes it better.

evillouie likes this.
  15. Murman

Murman Forum Resident

Yup. You could add Bridge Over Troubled Water, In My Life, Desperado, and I won't back down (although not all "contemporary") as unnecessary and pretty poor covers.

Man at C&A likes this.
  16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Oh yeah, I remember:

Beware the savage gait
    Of 1988

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  17. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

When it comes to covers I can never make up my mind whether this is absolutely the worst thing in the world or absolutely the best.

edrebber likes this.
  18. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

Bob Dylan's cover of "All Along the Watchtower"...

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  19. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Or his cover of Make You Feel My Love?

20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Or Bowie's cover of "The Man Who Sold The World" :nyah:

Lost In The Flood, ARK and JumpinJimF like this.
  21. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

Outstanding.

JumpinJimF likes this.
  22. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

#7 on Billboard Hot 100. It's not that bad.

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. My point was simple—you criticized Harrison for not having hits st the time when, in fact, he did. Just because you didn’t hear it didn’t mean he didn’t have songs during that time that were in the charts. His criticism is still apt and his opinion so dismissing it out of hand for the reason you did is misleading. I’m surprise that Live105 would even be playing GNR at that time. I do know that KFOG did and they also played Harrison’s songs as well.

As to KFOG sucking, we will have to disagree. It might not have played what you liked at the time (or exclusively what you liked) but they had a good mix of material as a 20 something at the time, I listened to all the stations you mentioned and found it all. Are down to the mood I was in when it came to material.

George wasn’t your cup of tea, I get it. The video was humorous something that seemed in rare supply on MTV at the time. There was also more than one video as well. One was more straight forward than the other.

I wouldn’t disagree with your point here but it was the way you made it that stuck in my craw.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  24. Well it’s unique.

JumpinJimF likes this.
  25. I like this one though just for the humor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.