Cover versions we don’t need.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Action, May 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Massive Attack’s version of “Light My Fire.” I feel bad for posting it, because they were usually excellent (especially in the 90’s), and this isn’t representative of their output overall. This cover makes very little sense, and diminishes the otherwise great album Protection. To make matters even more confounding, they used it as an album closer.

DrZhivago likes this.
  2. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Motley Crue has already appeared in this thread, but not for this “classic,” “Jailhouse Rock.” Of course, musical quality and clear thinking were often in short supply in the Motley Crue universe around this time. Like the Massive Attack example, this was used as an album closer! Song intro NSFW.

3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Mötley Crüe doing “Like A Virgin”. I’m dead serious, that’s a thing.

4. blivet

blivet Forum Resident

I love this version of the song, and hate the original. To me it shows how important arrangements can be. I find the saxophone and sythesizer or whatever they are in the original intolerably cloying, but replace them with some nice meaty electric guitar and you've got a kick-ass song.

5. sami

sami Mono still rules

Virtually anything by Bonnie Raitt. And you can probably eliminate 'virtually'.

Her 'version' of Right Down The Line is particularly appaling.

6. sami

sami Mono still rules

Completely agree. Just dreadful.

7. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

8. blivet

blivet Forum Resident

I listen to a lot of audiobooks because of my long commute, and it doesn't bother me at all if they are read by a woman even if the ostensible narrator is a man, or vice versa.

9. soarer29

soarer29 Forum Resident

This cover of Major Lazer’s “Lean On” by Collin McGloughlin in the Volvo commercial is horrible - it sounds like a Muppet Show outtake.

10. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

They are both hideous. I so wish he would take a class and learn the word "door' is not pronounced Doe-whar."

MPLRecords likes this.
  11. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Worst cover of the British Invasion era. 'What'd I Say' by Gerry and the Pacemakers. With Freddie Marsden on lead vocals. It might have been tolerable with Gerry on lead.

12. Two Sheds

Another bad one. Freddie and the Dreamers give us a version of 'Crying.' Who thought this was a good idea?

13. Swamiji

Swamiji Forum Resident

Agreed. I actually find it unlistenable.

14. Swamiji

Swamiji Forum Resident

Oh, dear Lord, have mercy ... this is beyond awful.

15. Swamiji

Swamiji Forum Resident

Bohemian Rhapsody covered by a German band. The singing is quite good, but the literal translation of the lyrics doesn't work in German, at least to my ears. I don't think German sounds good in rock music (sorry, no offense to the Germans here). Except for the brutal music that Rammstein do; and Lindemann has the right voice for it.

16. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

I think the word you meant to use is "gender," not "person." Either way, the answer is no when in comes to the folk music tradition. In folk, singers took on the role of whichever gender the song required.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of The Pentangle's "Rain And Snow," sung by Jacqui McShee from the husband's point of view. There is also Bob Dylan's "North Country Blues," where he sings from the perspective of a miner's daughter. There's also Kate Wolf's version of female songwriter Muriel Hogan's "Agent Orange," which is a first-person account of a Vietnam vet who is now a dad, and warns his son about the dangers of war by the song's end.

Baez was within this tradition when she covered "Dixie," and to my ears it worked.

17. DiBosco

DiBosco Forum Resident

The one that always bugged me was Ever Fallen in Love by Fine Young Cannibals. Take a fabulous guitar driven Buzzcocks new wave song and blandify it: suck out all the energy and make the meldoy line dull.

18. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I'm Telling You Now, I'm Crying.

Two Sheds likes this.
  19. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Senior Member

The Zombies were an excellent band, they could not play blues music. This is the most flaccid British blues attempt I've ever heard, from the pubescent, spastic vocal to the "straight harp" harmonica solo (Dylan-style) instead of "cross harp" (blues bends). Cringeworthy.

20. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Aretha Franklin - Eleanor Rigby

Of course she was great. But her interpretation loses all of the emotion of the original and turns it into a generic gospel.

UB40 - The Way You Do The Things You Do

I just hate UB40. They're like the Kenny G of reggae.

21. Two Sheds

The Moody Blues - 'Time Is On My Side.'

Tucked away on a 1965 B-side, but still... who thought this was a good idea?

22. Two Sheds

The Yardbirds - 'My Gal Sloopy'

One of their worst efforts. Even the rave-up can't save it.

23. Two Sheds

The Kinks - 'Dancing in the Street'

Appalling!

24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I can't bear to push "play", just tell me - does he giggle in it? :goodie:

25. Two Sheds

No, but his attempts at singing the refrain are embarrassingly awful. Freddie Garrity didn't have Roy Orbison's range - not even close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.