Cover versions you didnt know were covers....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by skimminstones, Oct 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

And 30 years later, the kids are shocked that The Sound of Silence was not originally by Disturbed....and the cycle continues.

2. RadiophonicSound

RadiophonicSound Electrosonic

Another that occurred to me was Tracey Ullman covering Kirsty MacColl’s “They Don’t Know,” basically verbatim. MacColl was pretty much unknown in the US when Ullman’s version was a hit here. I got into MacColl later on and was pleasantly surprised to see she’d written the song.

daveidmarx likes this.
  3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Artists have two lives: the one they present to people and is part of their personna, and the real one that the public does not see, the real person.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

he did not go both ways. people often make judgments based on what they see and what they believe. Prince had stated often that he did a lot of what he did to piss off the record company. he was an astute enough businessman to know what sold, and in the early 80s, androgyny and sex was the biggie. He may not have approved on Wendy and Lisa's being lesbians, but he sure played it up.

To take another example: Phil Oakley, the guy who formed The Human League, was totally straight complete with a wife, but he sure played up the gender-bending.

What you see is not always what you get. It is foolish to judge someone by their cover just as it is silly to assume that an artist always writes songs about themselves.

5. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

There is zero evidence from Prince himself, or from anyone who knew him, that he "went both ways". And there is ample evidence that he was enthusiastically heterosexual.

Not that it matters to his musical legacy.

6. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

IMHO, Linda Ronstadt made a career of doing covers - and arguably outdid the originals time and time again. Yes, I know, she had her own originals too, but her covers!!! :edthumbs:

7. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

"I Heard It Through the Grapevine" by Gladys Knight and the Pips. It was the first version I heard, and besides, it sounded "older."

8. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Umm... yeah. From the legendary Didjits! If you like that song, you should definitely check them out.

9. mike126

mike126 Forum Resident

"Tainted Love" by Soft Cell. After hearing the original by Gloria Jones, I like her version better.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  10. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

You probably think Michael was straight, too. XD

11. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

The first time I heard[That's How Heartaches Are Made-The Marvelettes]I didn't know that[Baby Washington]had done the original.

12. Centralscrutinizer

Centralscrutinizer Forum Resident

It took me a long time to realise that Rockin' All Over The World, one of Status Quo's most iconic tracks, was a cover of a John Fogerty number :agree:

13. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

Black Sabbath - Evil Woman
    Montrose - Good Rockin' Tonight
    R.E.M. - Strange

14. davidlg1971

davidlg1971 Forum Resident

A couple already mentioned - Tainted Love, for example. Others:

Naked Eyes - Always Something There to Remind Me
    Hall & Oates - Family Man
    Paul Young - Everytime You Go Away
    Musical Youth - Pass the Dutchie
    Doobie Brothers - Jesus is Just Alright
    The Byrds - Turn! Turn! Turn!
    Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe
    Toni Basil - Mickey
    Blondie - The Tide Is High*
    Huey Lewis - Do You Believe in Love
    Natalie Imbruglia - Torn

* Had no idea that was a cover until like 25 years after Blondie's version came out.

15. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Valerie by Amy Winehouse, originally a Zutons song. Didn't know this for a number of years.

16. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

A few of these are like "Sheesh! You didn't know?"

Not gonna pick out examples, that's unfair.

Jimmy B. and danasgoodstuff like this.
  17. jwis206

jwis206 Senior Member

I didn't know that "Go Now" by the Moody Blues was a cover. It was written by Milton Bennett and Bessie Banks' ex-husband, Larry Banks.

18. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

Here's another one for you by Aretha's sister, Erma Franklin.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  19. pudgym

pudgym Monster Raving Loony

Because hardly anyone in North America had heard the Arrows' version. My copy of it was on a cut-out imported U.K. cassette (1990: Glam Crazee! 20 Original Glam Rock Hits: Virgin VTMC 1). -It got to an indoor soccer game day compilation cassette (C-90).-
    Another game day compilation cassette had Matthews Southern Comfort's version of "Woodstock".
    Finally, probably many of you are unaware Black Sabbath's first single release was a cover. More puzzling to me, but absolutely more on-topic for this thread, was when Black Sabbath got to Ohio on their first U.S.A. tour: They objected to an old Black guy doing a Creedence Clearwater Revival cover of "I Put A Spell On You" opening for them.
    Yeah - you know who the old Black guy was.

20. Talmi K

Talmi K Forum Resident

21. Cookie!

Cookie! Forum Resident

Huey Lewis and the News - Heart and Soul; originally by Exile.

Cyndi Lauper - All Through the Night; written and originally recorded by Jules Shear.

Woodville likes this.
  22. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Oh geez, all the early blues tunes done by classic rock bands

rodentdog likes this.
  23. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Woodstock, I’m sure its already been pointed out was a Joni Mitchell Song, then CSNY, they Matthews Southern Comfort. All excellent by the way

24. Trash Panda

Trash Panda Forum Resident

Oh so many hits and album tracks from British Invasion groups and American Garage bands were "borrowed" from R&B/soul groups in the '60s and '70s.

I assume most people know Grand Funk Railroad's hit "The Loco-Motion" is a cover of the 1962 Little Eva tune. But fewer people know "Some Kind of Wonderful" was a cover of a 1967 not-quite-a-hit for the Atlantic vocal group the Soul Brothers Six.

geo50000 likes this.
  25. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

That one was a bit hard to miss, as it was part of an all-covers album!

Woodville and ARK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.