Cream - Goodbye Tour Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tuck1977, Nov 29, 2019.

1. donohed

donohed Hope Joy Victory !

ok i'll list my equipment, but in a couple of days. i have late 90's bose , early 2000's marantz receiver, and a new grado gold cart / needle
    everyone says Goodbye has a terrible sound, but it never didn't bothered me. it's all i knew until i heard this 'upgrade' a few years ago. initially i too thought 'wow, life has more meaning now' when i heard this other mix , but i'd been listening to Goodbye since 78, and then the boards since .... 88 ; the new versions pretty much just sat on my shelf until i sampled L.A. again to compare with the lp. The board was Goodbyes mix, the new lp is the new cd mix, and i found the new version to be a major disappointment. i'll try it again and see how i feel about it next time.
    i dont know what sonics are, but i do agree there is a finer clarity. i personally would not have sacrificed the strength of the great Jack Bruces' bass, RIP, for all of that clarity and higher end. when Tuck1977 agreed with my disappointment i assumed it was a truth shared by most, but i appreciate your preference.

2. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sitting On Top Of The World on my copy (Polydor 583-053 B3) sounds as good as you could wish for for Live Cream. I have compared it to a lot of Goodbye pressings and for some reason this one kicks some serious backside to my ears. When I put on Cream Live at The Forum version of Sitting on Top of The World it just sounds like AM transistor radio, volume cut so low, no bass. It’s just awful as far as I am concerned.

superstar19, donohed and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. donohed

i grew up on a U.S. Polydor and never thought 'ahww , this record should have a better sound '. that never occurred to me. i was will always think of it as the standard for the greatest of synergistic three piece jamming.
    i now have two original ATCO's (one still has the foldout in tact) , and whether or now they're sonically balanced, limited and have enough detail or not, i love that first mix, and i do not believe it's because of a familiarity. the new mix sounds weak. amazing how some of us like it and others think it sounds like crap !

Tuck1977 likes this.
  4. donohed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the confetti variation is much less a common one

slipkid, Gavaxeman, Tuck1977 and 2 others like this.
  5. donohed

[​IMG]
    forgive me if it was this same thread that i posted this pic before, but ... i was there. i didnt take the picture though. i was sitting just to the right though

6. donohed

[​IMG]
    i have two of these

7. donohed

[​IMG]
    got His autograph in front of the Bottom Line 10-10-88 on my brothers train ticket

8. donohed

[​IMG]
    bought this at a Question Of Time show, Bottom Line.
    they only had Mediums left, but i bought it anyway

9. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Finally got around to listening to the second LP just now while watching the Dodgers and Angels (sound off). After hearing this second LP, I have to change my view regarding this release.
    This second LP is a whole lot better to my ears than the first one, Spoonful on the last track is worth the price of admission alone, with Traintime starting side one of the second LP a close second.
    I might have to pull the 1st LP and give it another spin, but in the meantime I'm glad I got this just for the second LP alone. :thumbsup:

Mullin, donohed, hiterss and 2 others like this.
  10. tgdon'tmind

tgdon'tmind Lord, Here Comes The Flood

I never realized there were two different versions of the poster. Now I'll have to go pull my Goodbye record out and see which one I have

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. donohed

On your word I threw Spoonful on before selling it off : it is no longer for sale !
    I'm thinking it must be that we're, or maybe just me, not already accostomed to these #s with that familiar stronger mix. Either way, this ain't Goin nowhere

elsanto, Mullin and John D. like this.
  12. donohed

Front cover ?

13. donohed

14. donohed

15. donohed

16. donohed

17. donohed

18. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Bottom Line?

19. donohed

yeahup. i only had a ticket for the early show because i had to go to work the next day, but went out to buy one before it ended, thinking EC would stick around; he didn't, but Jack was more on that next set. he was best the early show the next night. on fire. so i only went in at the last minute because i didnt want to wait for the show to start, and i had tickets for both shows the following night, but they found me a single seat up front, right center. i was right in front of EC and His amp when He came out for the encore. in between sets it was pretty much only me and the waiters in there. i take the seat front center for myself. i turn around and EC is talking with someone about 15 feet behind me, but i didnt want to lose this seat: i could have gotten his autograph on that same train ticket with Jack's ! it must have been 45 minutes before they admitted the next audience : i blew it big time. a couple there took and traded me these pictures, i met them a week later
    i saw both shows the following night too. for the encore this fat guy comes out and the place goes quiet. no one knew who it was. its great, you can hear me "THAT'S MICK TAYLOR ! " before JB introduced Him

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  20. All Down The Line

What did Taylor play on?
    You saw all 4 shows yes but did Eric only guest on one?
    I have a boot featuring Eric which I assume is all from the same set and Jack is great so if he was even better in the later show or early one the following night it must have been really something!

21. donohed

EC encoded for Sunshine and then Spoonful on the first show only. MT played on an extended Spoonful for the 10-11 late set encore. Pat Thall was His guitarist for that tour. The first one I saw was 10-1 on long island. Mike, they came on at 3:30 a.m. ! Opened up with First Time I Met The Blues. I wasn't crazy About Pat Thrall's playing. Godfrey Townshend was his best player that I saw Him with, in 01.
    I promise you, 10 10s late set, and 10 11s early set. Pat Thrall said to me after that early set " that's the best set we've played"

All Down The Line likes this.
  22. tgdon'tmind

tgdon'tmind Lord, Here Comes The Flood

I saw Jack Bruce with Ginger Baker at the Bottom Line 12/7/89. It was freakin freezing that night, I didn't have a ticket, so I waited outside for 90 minutes to get a standing room ticket at the bar. Did I mention it was really cold. As I stood at the bar, trying to get feeling back, holding up the bar, Ginger Baker comes in, pushing his way through the crowd, basically knocking over anyone in his way, including me. Nobody sounds or plays like Ginger, it was a great show, well worth the frostbite.

23. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

A decent-sounding soundboard of that show is in circulation and may be found at the usual spots for that sort of thing.

Jack Bruce (Vocals, Bass, Harmonica)
    Gary Cooper (Vocals, Percussion)
    Malcolm Bruce (Guitar)
    Blues Saraceno (Guitar)
    Tom Goss (Drums - 1st 9 songs)
    Ginger Baker (Drums - 2nd 9 songs)
    Bernie Worrel (Keyboards)

Disc 1
    1. Life On Earth
    2. No Surrender
    3. Make Love
    4. Born Under a Bad Sign
    5. Blues You Can't Lose
    6. Theme For an Imaginary Western
    7. Guitar Solo
    8. Keep It Down
    9. Grease The Wheels

Disc 2
    1. NSU
    2. Obsession
    3. White Room
    4. Rollin' and Tumblin'
    5. Toad
    6. Sittin' On Top of the World
    7. Politician
    8. Sunshine of Your Love
    9. Spoonful

24. All Down The Line

What are peoples feelings about Blues Saraceno's contributions playing with Jack?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. donohed

I was there. Right, I remember the line for standing at the bar being longer than they could accomodate.
    It was insane, if not just poor judgement? that I went : my Dad had passed unexpectedly that week. It was the day of the service, and at about 7 i remembered having a ticket for the early show. My Mom and others were supportive of my going because of my situation and upset, and this cousin whom I only knew a little wanted to support me too and he drove us. He had a joint or two for us if I remember correctly. It must have been cold because he gave me a sweater. the buzz outside was ' is EC going to show up' Somehow I was speaking to this guy Rick, from Kansas, on the sidewalk, and he said he had an extra ticket for the late show. For whatever reason he didn't want to sell it but I forced him to sell it to me. I guess it was uncool that I wasn't concerned about my cousin not having one (he was able to still purchase one for the early show ), but those guys are like God's to me. I had gotten a seat right up front in between sets, and remember during Toad for that late set, Jack was sitting in the dark off to the side watching Ginger play. I had tears in my eyes thinking also about my Dad, and then had a direct eye contact with Jack, and he smiled to me. That was cool. It was best when that hack they had on guitar left the Stage and just the two of them were up there doing ... either Traintime or Rolling And Tumbling. Unforgettable. Didn't Jack's son guest for a portion of the show ?
    It could have been so much better had they had Steve Hunter, who I heard was going to do that tour, or Godfrey Townshend. Instead of that teenaged hack

jeremylr and All Down The Line like this.