Create the ultimate 90 minute Blur CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Pereira, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Great list! I was trying to remember Strange News From Another Star but forgot the title. Badhead has always been a favourite too.

CybrKhatru likes this.
  2. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I'm of the opinion that if you have SFA, Blur are surplus to requirements ;)

3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Can't go along with that, but I do love SFA!

Allchurch and NightGoatToCairo like this.
  4. ThunderDan

ThunderDan Forum Resident

That's a hard one, because I love Blur too much...
    Let me try:

She's So High
    There's No Other Way
    For Tomorrow
    Advert
    Colin Zeal
    Popscene
    Girls&Boys
    Parklife
    Trouble In The Message Center
    This Is A Low
    Country House
    Charmless Man
    Yuko And Hiro
    Beetlebum
    Country Sad Ballad Man
    On Your Own
    Tender
    Trimm Trabb
    Music Is My Radar

How am I on the clock though? :D

Man at C&A likes this.
  5. Steve Pereira

Steve Pereira Nutbush Unlimited Thread Starter

Choices are always individual. However, I'll attempt to explain my thinking.

For me, Blur were a pretty decent pop-rock band, and a rather poor indie/alt-rock band. Put them up against another pop-rock band, and Blur do stand out: intelligent lyrics, and a professional sound with an indie twist. Put them up against an indie or alt-rock band, and, for me, their weaknesses stand out.

On Think Tank, the band are not hugely different to what they have been right from the start - from the first album they did atmospheric pieces like "Slow Down" and "Wear Me Down". But Coxon is missing, and badly missed. What we have is the weak side of Blur - the attempts to be atmospheric and musical, without the means to achieve that. The best tracks, like "Ambulance" and "Out Of Time", have always been there in the band - the slow atmospheric touches, but here they are missing the crackle of Coxon's guitar, and they lean a little too much on the late 90s / early Naughty's albums by U2, and a little too much on indie dance acts like the Chemical Brothers and FatBoy Slim, without the touch, groove and excitement of those acts. Being a Nineties band, Blur would have been inspired by the successful blend of rock, electronics, and dance of Primal Scream' Screamadelica, and Albarn would no doubt have liked to create a contemporary version of that. But Screamadelica arrived where it did through collaboration, a simple desire to make groovy interesting music, and some very creative individuals out of their heads on ecstasy. I think those elements were rather lacking on Think Tank, which emerged out of tension, and one individual's dominance and attempt to create something they were truly not capable of. Crafted and intelligent pop songs, yes. Albarn is brilliant at that. Atmospheric music? By himself? Without the most musical member of the band? No. For the best Albarn music at this time, I think we need to look at Gorillaz; though, for me, Gorilaz is a sort of washed out Beck - superficially attractive, but lacking depth, despite the involvement of the creative Dan the Automator.

However, I'm prepared to give the album, or individual songs from the album another go if you point them out to me, and tell me what I should be appreciating.

As regards Great Escape, as I say above, for me that album is the peak of Blur as they craft some brilliant well structured music with clever, witty and observant lyrics. They do what they do best, and leave the atmospheric stuff behind for those who do it best.

ThunderDan and NightGoatToCairo like this.
  6. Steve Pereira

Interesting selection. I see you like the atmospheric side to the band, which is the side I like the least! Some tracks there which I am going to go back to as I don't really know them - like "Country Sad Ballad Man".

Thanks!

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

This doesn’t last 90 minutes, but it really is The Best Of Blur! Its one of the best GH comps I own.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Taxman, aphexj, cyril sneer and 2 others like this.
  8. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I'll get back to you.

9. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

A C90! Lovely touch!

And "Pyongyang" is a beautiful song, possibly in my all-time top 5 Blur songs. Definitely top 10.

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. Steve Pereira

Ah, yes, played Blur - Country Sad Ballad Man - Blur - YouTube -

That's a track that reminds me too much of Beck. I really like Beck. Huge respect for all his early albums up to and including Odelay, so when I hear something that seems to me to simply be copying him, I tend to switch off.

Have you heard Beck's first recording, Golden Feelings? It's mind-blowing. Hard to get hold of - just a cassette that's not been re-released. It appears on YouTube now and again:

Beck - Golden Feelings (Rip of My Cassette Copy) - YouTube

The best early album for me is

Beck - Stereopathetic Soulmanure [Full Album] 1994 - YouTube

Wow. Simply wow.

And, of course, Odelay, is one of the greatest albums of the Nineties, and of all time.

ThunderDan likes this.
  11. Steve Pereira

I re-listened to "Strange News From Another Star" and "Thought I Was a Spaceman" as they were tracks I didn't really know. Both hugely remind me of Bowie.

"Strange News" is growing on me. I think that's definitely one I overlooked.

Blur - Strange News From Another Star - Blur - YouTube

Man at C&A and CybrKhatru like this.
  12. Steve Pereira

SFA?

What or who is SFA?

13. Steve Pereira

Yeah, that's the hard part. I like to make up CDs of bands I'm exploring so I can play them in the car. Sometimes I will do two CDs for bands with a long and diverse output, but will also condense that down into one 80 minute CD to get at the essential tracks that can be played repeatedly to get a real feel for and understanding of the core of the band (or musician). I've not attempted to do a single CD compilation for Dylan. I think that would be rather time-consuming!

14. Steve Pereira

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. Allchurch

Allchurch Forum Resident

Scottish Football Association

16. cyril sneer

cyril sneer Forum Resident

I agree, this is a great compilation.

If I were to do an up to date 90 minute type Blur compilation then it would pretty much be this album tracklisting with the two following revisions:

No Distance Left To Run < Bugman
    To The End < Out Of Time
    On Your Own < Lonesome Street

Yep, I'm a bit of a singles nerd when it comes to Blur. They are up there as one of the best singles bands with The Kinks.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I do, but they wrote some great pop songs too, There's No Other Way, Girls and Boys & To The End spring to mind, but there's not really all that many of them across their catalogue. Like I mentioned earlier, I found that a few of their hits got annoying and less likeable the more I heard them, which in that mid 90s was a lot. They were everywhere!

I've always been a fan of the more atmospheric, less commercial side. That's unusual for me because I'm a big fan of three minute pop songs. I've never took to Gorillaz. The album Damon Albarn has done that I think is up there with Blur ones, possibly better, is the first The Good The Bad & The Queen album. Another atmospheric one!

I forgot that the compilation was aimed at beginners or people who wanted the big hits when I did my list!

ThunderDan likes this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Got it! This is their finest.

Allchurch likes this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Super Furry Animals. Great band from the mid 90s to early 2000s.

Allchurch likes this.
  20. Allchurch

Allchurch Forum Resident

At the time this compilation it came out (2000), I would have put Chemical World and the then difficult to find Popscene ahead of No Distance Left To Run and Music is My Radar.

Welshman and Man at C&A like this.
  21. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

No need to pick one or the other, fortunately, or pit one against the other. Having heard Rings Around The World for the first time this week I will certainly say that Super Furry Animals are under-appreciated.

As for Blur, despite owning two box sets by them I wouldn't be able to name 80 minutes of music by them. I must get back to them and do some more listening.

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. TheGoodDoctor

TheGoodDoctor It used to go something like that

Not entirely sure if this is 90 minutes. Very entirely sure it’s almost entirely early-mid Blur but as Modern Life is my favourite Blur album, not a surprise...

There’s No Other Way
    Popscene
    For Tomorrow
    Pressure on Julian
    Star Shaped
    Blue Jeans
    Villa Rosie
    End of a Century
    London Loves
    Trouble in the Message Centre
    Clover Over Dover
    This is a Low
    He Dreamt of Cars
    Yuko and Hiro
    Tender
    Coffee and TV

23. TheGoodDoctor

TheGoodDoctor It used to go something like that

Surely it should be “Don’t Come Home Too Soon” by Del Amitri which is possibly the least inspiring song ever composed to encourage a sports team to win an actual tournament

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Here's my one CD Blur - just about fits with about 15 seconds to spare

01 Sing
    02 High Cool (7" Master)
    03 Popscene
    04 Advert
    05 Never Clever
    06 Coping (Andy Partridge Version)
    07 Chemical World (Radio Edit)
    08 Young And Lovely
    09 End Of A Century
    10 Tracy Jacks
    11 This Is A Low
    12 He Thought Of Cars
    13 Eine Kleine Lift Musik
    14 Death Of A Party (7" Remix)
    15 Tender (Radio Edit)
    16 Coffee And TV (Single Edit)
    17 Trimm Trabb
    18 No Distance Left To Run
    19 Out Of Time
    20 Colours
    21 [UNLISTED TRACK] Lot 105

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    Jarra Lad, ThunderDan and Man at C&A like this.
  25. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

Interesting idea to make up a CD of their best tracks ....

13 is the best by a long way for me. That would take up a lot of said CD
    Parklife next