Creedence Clearwater Revival "Bayou country"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Nov 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

This performance made me a lover of this song. Sooooo good. You also make some good points. :righton: I need to grab this on CD.

3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

"Bayou Country" was always far from my favorite album by CCR, but it was with this album that my brother (16 years older than me), turned me onto CCR, back when this was brand new. My brother was always interesting when it came to what albums he bought for his collection, as he rarely ever followed any artist for too long and he was off to the next thing. "Bayou" was the only album he ever bought by CCR and he always liked the song "Keep On Chooglin'". Not too long after this he bought "Eat A Peach" and "Brothers & Sisters" by The Allman Brothers Band and he was done with them. Then it was on to Bowie with "Hunky", "Diamond Dogs", "Young Americans", "Station To Station" and "Low" and then he was pretty much over him as well, until the "Let's Dance" album. It's just funny to me the way he bought records, as he was completely opposite than me, as I would find a group or artist and hang in for the long haul most of the time. He just turned seven-five a few weeks ago and I had the pleasure of turning him onto "The Band", even though he had Dylan's "Basement Tapes" since it was new. I knew that he would love their "Brown" self-titled album and I was correct. Now he is on a buy everything "The Band" jag, LOL.

By the way, "Cosmos Factory" is my personal favorite, as each and every song is just so perfect as an entire listening experience. I agree with others who are impressed with their great run of albums that happened in such a short time. Each album, with exception to their last one, all had something very worthy on them.

4. Jonny W

Jonny W Forum Resident

"Graveyard Train," motherjumpers!

Prowlin' Wolf...!

That's some spooky wailin'...!

Deep blues from CCR.

5. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Fantastic album! Not a dud on it. Picking a favorite CCR album would be tough. "Bayou Country", "Green River" and "Cosmo's Factory" are all about equal in greatness for me.

6. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

+1 ... my fave ccr album though is pendulum... the others i see almost on a par, with the exception of the debut and of course mardi gras

Andy Saunders likes this.
  7. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

I always found it amusing that John Fogerty placed "Proud Mary" as the third song on side two.

Could he have hidden it away any more than that? This was a major song that not only became a massive CCR hit, but rock/R&B standard as well. Guess he didn't want to be obvious and lead off a side with it or anything like that.

8. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

It is a strange placement.
    Maybe he had no input to the running order....
    Maybe nobody cared...?...
    It should have opened side A or B.

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

John controlled everything---for better (the music, of course) and worse (Stu, Doug, and Tom got fed up with John dictating everything to them). He made all the decisions, from the business ones to the songs (including the running order of the albums).

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  10. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Not my favorite, but definitely with its strong points (as can be said for all their albums). "Proud Mary" and "Born on the Bayou" are overexposed but excellent. The rest is still pretty fresh, even "Good Golly Miss Molly" (I've got to say it took real guts to cover that in 1969, when the '50s seemed a lifetime ago and most rockers didn't want to look back.)

11. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I wouldn't go that far- "Mardi-Gras" had "Sweet Hitchhiker", "Someday Never Comes", and a decent cover of "Hello Mary Lou", all worthy tracks, at least in my opinion...

12. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

He also sang all the back-up vocals after the first album because he felt the varying voices of the band members didn't blend well. Judging by that LP and the pre-Creedence stuff, he was right.

savemenow likes this.
  13. Grand_Ennui

I'd disagree... 1969 seems to be the year that the "50s Revival/Oldies but Goodies" stuff really seemed to be picking up steam. Sha-Na-Na at Woodstock, the Rock and Roll medley on The Monkees "33 1/3 Revolution Per Monkee" special (taped at the very tail end of 1968, but aired in 1969), "Oldies but Goodies" radio format being in its infancy...

edrebber likes this.
  14. Grand_Ennui

I thought that the other guys contributed to the backing vocals on "Who'll Stop the Rain", from "Cosmo's Factory", their fifth album?

15. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Which was a ratings disaster! And your other examples point to growing interest in the real thing, not then-current bands putting their spin on '50s hits. The only other one I can think of is Blind Faith with "Well All Right".

16. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Love BC. Fab album. Graveyard Train and all. That song scared me when i was a child. But in a nice way. It evoked feelings and images. And ofcourse the title song is one of the coolest rock tracks ever recorded.

Jonny W likes this.
  17. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Always loved the murky Graveyard Train. The opening track and Proud Mary are of course classics but I just as much enjoy the breezy Bootleg and the snarling Penthouse Pauper. CCR were on fire in their brief lease of life, especially early on.

Even the cover stuff, Good Golly Miss Molly, features that vigorous vocal and fidgety guitar Fogerty mastered so well. Such a good band back then.

18. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

My fave CCR album.

19. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Yes. I think this might be my favourite too.

20. Russ Gary

Russ Gary Engineering Legend

yup.

21. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Album is pretty good but the title song may be favorite CCR song.

22. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

As if the music weren't enough, the opening lyric couplet is pretty stunning too.

We only wish he had controlled everything. Saul Z (I refuse to write his whole name) ended up controlling far too much. Got spectacularly wealthy in the process of course, while John & the band nearly starved.

steelinYaThighs and DK Pete like this.
  23. kaygee

kaygee Well-Known Member

I seem to gravitate to the earlier albums, BC included. As a matter of fact, the debut may be my favorite. Probably mostly due the relative freshness of not having it bludgeoned into my brain at every opportunity over the last 40+ years. as great as those other albums/songs are.

For my money, probably the greatest American rock band ever. Sorry, I realize that is for another thread...

24. Grand_Ennui

Re-reading your original post, I see more of what you were originally getting at...

It's too bad that a lot of those 60s rockers didn't look back more: I think some of the music would have been better for it, rather than a bunch of drugged out "psychedelic" music that (*to me*) sounds even more dated than a cover of a 50s hit would have sounded.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  25. Grand_Ennui

I would have liked it more if John Fogerty would have let the other guys do more backing vocals-They sounded good to me...

I'm not knocking John's backing vocals, but to me, all they sound like is John Fogerty singing with John Fogerty, with no "group" feel to them...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.