Creedence "Lodi" stereo question for the experts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Creedence "Lodi" question for the experts

Was "Lodi" ever released in Quad or wide stereo?

I need a quick answer from the stereo buffs. Thanks!

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

jon knows more about this stuff, but, not that I know of. It didn't make CREEDENCE GOLD, the only Quad Lp/8-track AFAIK. It's been in near-mono from the beginning, for reasons only known to Mr. Fogerty.

ED:cool:

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yeah, I think only Creedence Gold was the only Quad CCR...or at least that I know of....

4. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Stereo CCR

<<<<<<Fogerty has this thing about stereo, he doesnt like it. He made the CCR mixes near mono for that reason.

What I really want to know is if the Quad mixes of the CCR stuff have the guitars spread wide. Now that I have a PL2 setup I'm wondering what it would sound like thru my system.

5. Ed Bishop

Re: Stereo CCR

Only for certain songs; most have fair to wide separation, it's just the handful that don't that nettle us.

That's where Oblio[jon]can help, though I do remember Mike Callahan saying the separation on "Proud Mary" and "Bad Moon" on the quad CREEDENCE GOLD was a bit better, though he didn't come out and say they were ultra-wide(which they likely weren't). I would imagine on the more conventionally mixed stereo cuts, they widened everything, or at least it should come out that way on a stereo system.

6. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Steve,

The "gang" is correct. The only true surround CCR release was the album CREEDENCE GOLD. It was available on a CD-4 LP and a Quadraphonic 8 track tape. There was never a Quad Reel released, and no other album by the group was released in quad.

Fantasy used CCR Gold as their initial quad release from their Fantasy-Prestige-Milestone label group. The titles were:

FPM-4001 Creedence Gold
    FPM-4002 Stanley Turrentine/Pieces of Dreams
    FPM-4003 Woody Herman/Children of Lima
    FPM-4004 Blackbyrds/Flying Start (with "Walking in Rythym")
    FPM-4005 Flora Purim/Stories to Tell
    FPM-4006 McCoy Tyner/Song of a New World

the 4007 release was to be Country Joe McDonald/Paradise with an Ocean View - which was a pretty decent album. Actually, all of these releases were decent.

As I found out the hard way, the SACD M/C Chronicles disc is a joke, only double stereo.

So, to answer your question (after all that), I am sorry to report that the answer is NO!

McLover likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Thanks very much!

8. Ed Bishop

Of course, if you ever got the chance to make "Lodi" nice'n'wide, you'd get no argument from your core membership....:p :)

vonwegen likes this.
  9. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

My mother had the Green River LP which has Lodi on it, and it had one of those "full dimension stereo" Fantasy labels (IIRCC). I remember that the stereo on most of the songs were definitely much w-i-d-e-r than the corresponding songs that appeared on the Chronicles CD that I bought when it first came out.

I thought I "inherited" that LP when I moved out (like I did her original US Apple Beatles '67-'70 set), but Mom must still have that one.

Joel

10. Ed Bishop

It should read "Full Radial Stereo"(hee, hee), but "Bad Moon Rising" and "Lodi" are the two cuts that might as well be mono, the separation is so minimal. On later pressings of CREEDENCE GOLD, the"Bad Moon" mix does sound a bit wider, enough so that a guitar seems to lean toward one channel. This can he heard on some CD reissues, but "Lodi" hasn't changed much over the years; for now, it is what it is.

11. Steve Hoffman

Just a balance shift, same tape. I used the same balance shift on the SACD version.

12. Ed Bishop

Nice job, too, if I may say so. Somebody did the same thing for an Australian 2-CD comp. That little touch is better than nothing...:)

13. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

The quad release of CCR Gold was not one of those REAL discrete releases, like some of the Doobie Brothers or other releases of the time. The lead vocal cannot be isolated, and appears in all four channels, although it is stronger in the fronts. The location of the drums on some tunes are isolated in the fronts or the backs, and a few of the guitars are localized, but not really totally isolated.

It is actually more of a "modern" surround mix, not one that you would use to demo the format, but one that gives you a "fuller" presentation. Maybe that original 4 channel master can be released on SACD or DVD-A, since it is already out there.

14. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

It's been years but I knew it was something like that :)

I'll have to go pilfer that LP one day :cool:

Joel

15. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

This is somewhat off-topic, but all this talk of Creedence and stereo reminds me of something I've meant to ask for a while now:

Are the mono versions of Creedence's stuff just fold-downs of the stereo, or are they dedicated mono mixes? If the latter is the case, are there significant differences in any of those from the stereo versions, either in the single mixes or the mono LP ones? And if that should prove to be the case, what are the chances of Steve doing a Chronicles-type collection filled with *mono* versions of all the CCR classics? (I can hear Grant licking his chops now...)

16. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Does anybody know that Quad 'Creedence Gold' sounds like? From what i can see, its the only one thats a "real' Quad mix...this true/?

17. Steve Hoffman

I've played each and every mono Creedence; all fold downs.

As far as I could tell there is only one real mix of every song...

ODShowtime and McLover like this.
  18. Ed Bishop

I'm sure you're right, if only because there are no significant standout differences in the mono mixes except they're not messy the way certain 'stereo' mixes are. "Sweet Hitch-Hiker," like a few other cuts on MARDI GRAS, is a real headscratcher--the mix doesn't make any real sense; might as well just have left it in mono, as it was originally issued. And although it's nice to have that guitar panned on "Bad Moon," the mono mix serves equally well. Also of note is that a few singles were edited, including "Born On The Bayou," "Down On The Corner" and "Grape Vine."

Which is why I've advocated a CD of just the mono mixes. Despite what some label execs would have us believe, the general public barely notices such things, while those who want them will buy it if it's out--more money in their pocket. The CCR mono mixes are good enough to justify such a comp, and there really isn't a good reason not to do one, other than the fact CHRONICLE exists.

19. Steve Hoffman

Just buy a Y cord, Ed, or push the mono button on your receiver. I guess you'd have to double the compression as well, and filter everything at 10k!

Instant correct Creedence mono! :)

20. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Steve,

Have you stumbled across the quad mix of CCR Gold? This release was definatly quad and different than the stereo, although it was no surround spectacular as I noted in my earlier posts.

I wonder if this release was just a multi-track master that was "split up" a bit, or if it was actually created with thought?

21. Steve Hoffman

I have the Quad master tapes here with me now; discrete 1/2" four-track tapes. I have not played these remixes yet but I will later today.

22. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Sounds like the makings of a great day to me!

Creedence has the most songs that sound like "mono" of any catalog after 1970 that I can think of.

23. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

EXCELLENT! Pretty cool!. Let us know how they sound after all of these years. See if there are any "bonus" tracks ;)

Pardon me while I turn MORE green with envy!!!!
    :D

24. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Drool factor=10!:D

Myke likes this.
  25. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

While listening to the Bayou Country SACD last night, I noticed that, although many of the songs were mixed a bit wider in stereo, "Proud Mary" was narrow & almost mono. I think perhaps Mr. Fogerty might have treated some of his potential "hit" singles differently & tailored them for AM radio play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.