Creem, Crawdaddy, Circus & Trouser Press - the golden age of Rock mags

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris DeVoe, Dec 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

July '78 issue of Creem:

[​IMG]

jon9091 likes this.
  2. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Circus was bi-weekly for a while, here's the November 25, 1975 issue:

[​IMG]

Comet01 and jon9091 like this.
  3. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Crawdaddy, November '74. (Sorry, most of my old rock mags have Stones covers! :))

[​IMG]

clhboa and hi_watt like this.
  4. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

This is one of my all-time favorites, the May 1970 issue of Hit Parader. Fourteen pages on Apple Records, with news on a bunch of upcoming Zapple releases! Probably came out in March, so no mention of a Beatles breakup.

[​IMG]

georgespigott and jon9091 like this.
  5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

That actually must be the very first bi-weekly issue, as I have the rest of 1975, including a November issue without the "now bi-weekly verbiage".

Edit....ok now this is strange. You might have yourself a bit of a collectible there. Exact same issue, although now it's the Dec issue of Circus Raves

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    Culpa likes this.
  6. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Crazy! I know I had some issues of Circus Raves at the time, but don't have them anymore. I wonder if there were regional differences? I bought my Circus Bi-Weekly in Philadelphia.

7. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

TeenSet.

I'm serious. There was some good writing and they changed their name to A.U.M.-America's Underthitry Magazine.

It didn't work and they folded soon after.

8. jon9091

Yeah, that could be as they phased out Circus Raves, and went to the bi-weekly format. I never really liked the design changes they made mid-year. That Top 20 I was so fond of looked like absolute crap, as the way they had it laid out...so many words had to be hyphenated to the next line. Even though I was only 14 when this came out...it drove me nuts. Look at the last column for a good example....

[​IMG]

Culpa likes this.
  9. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Wow. I had forgotten all about Heaven's Metal! Didn't they shorten it to " HM" at one point? Good little magazine for those who were into it.

10. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Mojo is the best mag going now.

Comet01, georgespigott and Mark B. like this.
  11. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

It's the only one I currently buy.

12. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I'm only familiar with Crawdaddy in its 1960s and 1990s incarnations, when original editor Paul Williams was at the helm. He sold it in the 1970s and I never even saw a single issue of this version. I got a subscription offer around 1978 which featured a Springsteen cover and sent it in, but the magazine folded and I didn't get anything.

I read Creem every once in awhile. I bought a Rock Scene once, but it seemed like it was mostly pictures.

13. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

We always had mom bring home the new Creem from the supermarket and we'd fight over it when she came home. We also had a bookstore that sold foreign newspapers and magazines, so we regularly read Melody Maker and NME. In late '76/early '77 we knew about the new British punk scene before anyone else did.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

I can't remember which of these covered David Byrne's solo album and the Tom Tom Club in the same review, pointing out that Byrne needed a really great rythym section, and the Tom Tom Club needed a lyricist and a quirky lead singer.

15. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Creem and Circus for me. My two essential rock reference sources.....:)

jon9091 likes this.
  16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

In the late '70s and early '80s I learned most of what I knew about music from Creem, Hit Parader, and Circus. A debt which I can never repay.

17. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

This picture seemed really interesting to me when it was published in Creem...

[​IMG]

audiotom likes this.
  18. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

That's the best top 20 I could ever imagine!
    It just go's to show you what an amazing period of time the 70's were, absolutely magic.

jon9091 likes this.
  19. jon9091

I'll tell you a funny story (that I've told on here before). I used to love these Top 20's so much that I'd often create my own....and sometimes I'd do it in church.:angel: I always took some paper and a pen to doodle while the service was going on. One Sunday I was working on my Top 20 during the sermon, and I had decided that Black Sabbath-Sabbath Bloody Sabbath had captured the #1 spot. My Dad, looked over at what I was doing....leaned over and whispered...."what's Black Cabbage"? I thought I was gonna throw up from keeping the laughter in. :laugh:

20. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

My friend and I in Junior High would always be writing up a top 10 or what we called concert "jams" where we would list off like 5-10 albums that we would later play in a row and imagine that they were concerts.

Haggis Wampovich and jon9091 like this.
  21. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

Had subscription to Circus in High School and Trouser Press in college- fond memories esp. of TP

22. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

I won a bet with my brother once when he challenged me to find a picture of Stevie Nicks wearing pants and I pulled this one of my box of old magazines

mne563 likes this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

I would have thought their spelling her name "Nix" would have been an automatic forfit, like "Find me a picture of a sober Grace Slick" and the one you found had her name spelled "Grays Lick".

24. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Hit Parader and Rolling Stone lead to. Cream and Circus, stRted seeing them in the stores then subscriptions.

Circus was twice monthly

Guitar Player had some nice if technical mG

Allowed a kid in his teens in the midwest to keep track of brit them nyc punk scene
    Rolling Stone became less musical in the late seventies

Musician magazine in the early 80 was nice

Mojo mid 90s on

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  25. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Ha ha. I have no recollection of the misspelling but my brother did try to argue that based on the angle of the photo it could conceivably be a jean skirt and not pants, which I called B.S. on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.