Crosby, Stills and Nash Gold CD Mastering: A day with our gracious host. PICS @ #119

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thxphotog, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd Thread Starter

...and an unbelievable cheeseburger. No kidding! I'm sure the gents from out of town would agree that the trip was worth it for the burger!! :)

And on a more serious note, a good time was had by all. (If I may be so bold as to speak for the others. :))

Steve and the namesake of the mastering facility Stephen Marsh could not have been more gracious.

I'll let the other guests chime in on the tech aspect & listening experience. From a musical perspective I definitely take a back-seat to them with regard to their passion for this recording. Having said that the opportunity to be one of the few that have heard this original tape is not lost on me. Awesome stuff!

2. scousette

scousette Forum Resident

thxphotog,

Glad you had a terrific day and a delicious cheeseburger! Thanks so much for the cool pics of the session. Those of you who were fortunate enough to spend the day at the studio to watch Steve and Stephen are indeed lucky!

3. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

Thanks for the writeup! Interesting stuff.

4. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Yes, those burgers are very good. Glad you had a good time.

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Glad you had fun, and thank you for sharing. :agree:

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Great seeing you all today, thanks for hanging with us. It was nice mastering with an audience for a change. Made it more of a show. And, yes, lunch was good, I'm still stuffed, actually.

Even after all these years of hearing this album I'm still quite looking forward to hearing the check disk on my home system. It's a great record!

Hope you all like our efforts on the CS&N album.. The Audio Fidelity Gold CD will be out pretty soon, hopefully by the end of next month..

7. HotHere

HotHere Forum Resident

Steve - Thanks for giving us a 'peek behind the curtain'!

thxphotog - Thanks for documenting the event!

Hopefully this can become an ongoing thing :goodie:

8. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

Out by the end of November? Yes! Just what I wanted to hear! It's times like this when living way up in Alaska sucks! I would love to be at one of these mastering sessions. Oh well, at least I can buy the CD.

9. rinso white

rinso white Pale Fire

Glad you had a good time. Now I'm hungry for some reason...

10. Samfield

Samfield Forum Resident

Very cool stuff. Thanks.

11. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Thanks for posting this! And thanks to Steve for his generosity in sharing this session with forum members. I had one of those moments where I thought "I could drive down for the Bay Area for this!" Then reality set in and I realized I had obligations that precluded that.

12. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I want to hear every detail about this. Start with walking in the door.....

13. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

I am really looking forward to this release from AF.

14. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Alright, I've got to admit that this "event" may be one of the most exciting this forum has ever got to wag a tongue at.

I don't want to wait till next month to hear this, I say party at Steve's house, as soon as he gets that "check disc" :)

15. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

Looking forward to this release!

What does the "This tape has been digitally archived" sticker on the tape boxes refer to? Did WEA at some point do flat transfers at high resolution, with preservation in mind?

16. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

So what's the story with what's written on the tape reel. It has "CSN & Y" with the Y crossed out.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I can't speak to WEA specifically, but that's a common practice.

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Neil Young wasn't on the first album. Someone accidentally wrote CSN&Y, and someone fixed it.

19. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

It looks like you had some fun. I can't wait for this one. I've listened to it so much it is part of my DNA.

20. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Seriously, I'm thrilled you all had a good day doing this and appreciate you reporting back to the forum so quickly and in such detail. Thanks Steve, et al. for arranging this. Thanksgiving can't arrive soon enough...

21. CRSearle

CRSearle Member

I really look forward to hearing this CSN title like never before and envy you for getting to witness the mastering firsthand (plus the tasty cheeseburger). :)

22. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Thanks so much, Steve, for offering the opportunity to attend this amazing mastering session. It was indeed a unique experience.

Stephen Marsh of Marsh Mastering was completely in tune with Steve's desire to keep the dynamic range of the original master tape intact while enhancing the reproduction of each song to sound as lifelike in the vocals as possible.

The resulting presentation I heard was simply astonishing. "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes," "Wooden Ships," and "Helplessly Hoping" never sounded so real.

The burgers were pretty good too.. :D

It was great to spend some time with like-minded individuals listening to one of my favorite albums of all time. Look for my future article in Michael Fremer's musicangle.com.

23. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Great report..

24. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

If You Smile At Me I Will Understand...

I did not realize that you got to attend this mastering session until this post Randy!

Lucky Duck!

I look forward to your review on Fremer's site--been a while since I visited, and I really miss the magazine.

I knew from the get-go that this new CD would sound stunning, and was particularly excited about hearing "Wooden Ships" and "Helplessly Hoping" done right. Your enthusiasm for how it went/sounded has only doubled my eagerness to get me mittens on this baby.

I can't wait!!! :goodie:

cheers,
    mrbill

25. CRSearle

CRSearle Member

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.