Crossroads Guitar Festival 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bonddm, Mar 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident Thread Starter

Alan Darby
    Albert Lee
    Andy Fairweather Low
    Billy Gibbons
    Bonnie Raitt
    Bradley Walker
    Buddy Guy Band
    Daniel Santiago
    Derek Trucks
    Doyle Bramhall II
    Eric Clapton
    Gary Clark Jr.
    Gustavo Santaolalla
    James Bay
    Jeff Beck
    Jerry Douglas
    Jimmie Vaughan
    Joe Walsh
    Jonny Lang
    Keb Mo
    Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Los Lobos
    Pedro Martins
    Peter Frampton
    Robert Cray
    Robert Randolph
    Sheryl Crow
    Sonny Landreth
    Susan Tedeschi
    Tom Misch
    Vince Gill

soundboy, reb, unclefred and 4 others like this.
  3. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I absolutely love these Crossroads festivals, and had thought that they were all done. This news makes waking up worth the effort. While a novelty, I would certainly like to hear Frampton and Walsh use their talkboxes at the same time.
    No matter, a DVD of this weekend is inevitable and will join my collection on the day of its release.

4. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Glad to see Frampton in the line up.

5. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I have every one of these Crossroads concert. I love to play em back in my studio man cave and play guitar along with them. Hours of fun!

hiterss and Elliottmarx like this.
  6. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

I might just have to see about attending this since it's in Dallas this year

longdist01 likes this.
  7. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

No John Mayer?

These are amazing and always a must-have Blu purchase. They've been demo material since the original DVD release.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  8. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Was very surprised to see this announced! After he skipped 2016, I thought Eric was done with organizing these festivals.

I still love watching the DVDs and hope that they use this occasion to reissue the first and second editions on Bluray (ideally with expanded performances, especially the complete sets from Eric).

longdist01 and Elliottmarx like this.
  9. crossroads69

Just noticed that while he’s taking the festival back to Dallas, he’s chosen to stay indoors at the American Airlines Center. Somehow I feel these festivals work better outdoors, the vibe is nicer and it looks better on film.

I guess Eric now prefers to have two evening shows rather than manage an entire day outside. Possibly lower costs as well.....I hope he plans some new collaborations rather than play the same set list from past few years.

Dallas isn’t too far from Austin and so perhaps a final oppprtunity to partner live with Bobby Whitlock?

10. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

This list is so predictable....

zphage, melstapler and vinyldreams like this.
  11. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Bummer this is in Dallas again, and not Chicago. Since E.C. isn’t touring much anymore, ia wish he’d bring the festival to a handful of cities each year to give more people a chance to attend.

I really enjoyed the festival I attended in Chicago back in... 2007? My god, I am getting old. It was the only time I ever saw B.B. King in person. Hubert Sumlin too. For those reasons alone I treasure having been there.

Clapton and Winwood reuniting was the absolute highlight though. The two of them tearing it up on Blind Faith/Cream/Traffic stuff was unreal. Clapton, with Derek Trucks, tackling Dominos stuff was also a treat.

Also my first time seeing Jeff Beck. He did not disappoint! He had Tal Wikenfeld on bass back then, and she was a revelation too!

This year, about damned time Bonnie Raitt is included. Can’t believe she’s never been part of this before.

Apart from Bonnie and Frampton the list is more or less the same as it’s been for many of these festivals. Not that that’s a bad thing. A few names here I don’t know, but an insane amount of talent for sure.

The idea of Frampton and Joe Walsh doing dueling talkboxes (Or at least an extended dialogue) is hilarious.

footlooseman and crossroads69 like this.
  12. Guy Smiley

The bummer about the releases is how shortened they always are.

I get it. Most people likely aren’t going to spring for a 12 DVD set or whatever.

But to have the full festival I attended in 2007? Yeah, I’d have paid for that. I passed on what was released since too much good music was cut.

footlooseman likes this.
  13. crossroads69

The 2007 edition is my favorite one! I wasn’t able to attend but the vibe looks great on DVD. Eric’s set to close the festival was stellar, first with the Dominos material and then the set with Winwood.

I totally agree on the idea of releasing expanded sets. There’s so much talent at these festivals and they should really consider adding couple of bonus discs to each release.

2004 & 2007 editions were never released on Bluray and so there’s the opportunity to redo them!

Guy Smiley likes this.
  14. Guy Smiley

Love that idea... I know they will never release full festivals, but for 2007 I would love to see a Super Deluxe version that, at the very least, provides the full Clapton and Winwood sets.

Then again, if they had raw footage of the whole 12 hours That day I’d happily snag it.

Having seen setlists/Watched footage on TV of various Crossroads festivals I‘d have to say 2007 was the best and I am happy I got to see that in person. Would’ve loved to have seen the MSG shows a couple of years later with the Allman Brothers Band too though.

crossroads69 likes this.
  15. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I like seeing Kurt Rosenwinkel's name there.

In fact I'd love to see more jazzy dudes - Marc Ribot, John Scofield, Bill Frisell, etc.

Oliver likes this.
  16. crossroads69

I had hoped that Eric would sit in for a complete set with the Allmans like he did in 2009 at the Beacon, but that was not to be. Still bummed that they did not properly film the 2009 Beacon shows for Bluray release....

17. Guy Smiley

Yeah... at least those Beacon shows are available from the ABB, via Munck Music so people can enjoy those. Two wonderful shows for sure.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  18. crossroads69

Yeah, I have the audio and they are great! The Moogis video streams are also available on YouTube, but just disappointing that they didn’t film them for high quality DVD/BD release.

Guy Smiley likes this.
  19. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

Ticket prices for one day are way more than I will spend. Oh well, no major loss.

20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Glad to see Eric in the line-up.

21. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Shows this weekend surprised they haven’t listed Friday lineup vs Saturday and times yet

22. Guy Smiley

Aww... Spoiler alert, man!!

Myke likes this.
  23. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

each nights lineup is out now, no times theyre going on though.

https://www.whereseric.com/eric-clapton-news/303-list-performers-crossroads-guitar-festival

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 20*
    Bonnie Raitt
    Citizen Cope
    Eric Clapton & Andy Fairweather-Low
    Gustavo Santaolalla
    James Burton & Albert Lee
    Jeff Beck
    Jimmy Vaughan
    John Mayer
    Kurt Rosenwinkel with Pedro Martins
    The Marcus King Band
    Pedro Martins & Daniel Santiago
    Peter Frampton
    Sheryl Crow
    Sonny Landreth

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 21*
    Buddy Guy
    Doyle Bramhall
    Eric Clapton & His Band with Alan Darby
    Gary Clark, Jr.
    James Bay
    Keb Mo
    Lianne La Havas
    Los Lobos
    Robert Cray
    Robert Randolph
    TBD Satellite
    Tedeschi Trucks
    Tom Misch
    Vince Gill & Band

Elliottmarx and reb like this.
  24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

How cool would it be to have Whitlock join EC for Tell The Truth or Got To Get Better In A Little While? Time seems to be running out for those two to play together again.

hiterss, Oliver, footlooseman and 2 others like this.
  25. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Anyone have set lists for the show?

Elliottmarx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.