Crowded House General Purpose Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Atmospheric, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm been devouring the band's entire catalog at a rapid rate. For some reason... well I know the reason... I couldn't stand KROQ in the 1980s... this band almost completely slipped by me. I've always felt Don't Dream It's Over is an absolute masterpiece of a song.

So my gateway drug was the 2014 HDtracks version of s/t. Whoa. I'm a huge Mitchell Froom fan. Of course that whole album is just brilliant.

Next up was Farewell To The World. I'm super impressed with how good a live band they were (at least on this record).

Temple Of Low Men and Woodface followed in rapid succession. Mitchel Froom is clearly this band's George Martin.

I'm listening to Together Alone as I write this. Honestly, I expected a noticeable drop off in quality because Froom and Blake aren't involved. But this record is spectacular as well.

So much to like. Neil Finn is a world class songwriter. Able to inject interesting elements without being too self-conscious or overly cleaver. That's really hard to do.

I can see why Mick Fleetwood would want him to replace Lindsey. While not perhaps the vocalist Lindsey is, Neil is no slouch.

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Crowded House were an excellent band. A remnant of Split Enz another excellent band. Neil had honed his writing with the Enz and by the time Crowded House came along he was on par with any pop/rock writer in the world.
    Their debut album was sensational and they went from strength to strength. Nick Seymour (brother of Mark, from Hunters and Collectors) held the bottom end down well and Paul Hester was perfect for Neil's songs on the drums, whilst also providing whip smart comedy and general fun that was only ended by his tragic suicide ....

3. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Me too, but as a huge Split Enz/Crowded House/Finn Brothers/Pajama Club/Neil solo fan, I have a harder time seeing why Finn would want to replace Buckingham... ;)

4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

[​IMG]

5. Atmospheric

I'm trying to get into Split Enz. I find them quite a bit more formulaic than CH. I suppose that's to be expected with the passage of time and both Finn brothers maturing as writers and musicians.

However, I'm finding that I don't care for Tim Finn nearly as much as Neil. I think Neil's playful Beatle-esque creativity borders on genius. Whereas I find Tim merely capable a lot of the time. A matter of personal taste to be sure.

6. mark winstanley

I guess some later enz albums may be somewhat formulaic, but back in the seventies and early eighties they didnt sound like anyone else, that i can think of.
    I also prefer neil ... but Tim's solo album escapade was very good, and huge in Australia.

7. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

For a second there, I thought you were suggesting that he join up with Elton on his tour... ;)

[​IMG]

forthlin, davers, Ryan Lux and 2 others like this.
  8. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Nice to see "the other guys" getting some love. Obviously, Neil's writing is the foundation but they were (are?) a great band. I also have to mention Mark Hart's contributions on vocals, guitar, and keys.

9. mark winstanley

for the Enz, try Enz of an Era. it's a pretty good compile and has stuff spread across their pre conflicting emotions albums. If you're an album guy like me Dizrythmia, True Colours and Waiata are probably the best ones ... Early on Tim was the main writer. Later on Neil was the main writer. Waiata (corroboree in Australia) is probably where the writing was closer to equal

dougb222 and davers like this.
  10. mark winstanley

I missed out on Mark, I guess he came later? I have the first three albums.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  11. BadJack

He's on "Woodface" somewhere and had started as a touring member, but he was fully in the band for the fourth one. Talented guy, probably best appreciated in a live setting.

12. Atmospheric

So I've also checked out One Nil and Out Of Silence (NF solo records).

Anytime I hear of some artist making a record with their kids, I sort of do an eye roll. But Out Of Silence is a pretty strong record. A bit subdued to be sure. But very artful. I love that Neil seems to have mastered the art of not letting anything go on too long. Even within a song, about the time you think you have it all figured out, things take an unexpected turn. I'm also impressed with how well he collaborates with disparate people and still keep the overall quality very high. I think Mr. Finn could have had a whole other career as a producer, if he'd had a mind to.

13. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

YES! A huge favorite of mine for sure.
    A phenomenal live band. They released a ton of live shows via their fan club.
    The live show you picked up is also available as a DVD.
    You may not have noticed, but every album was released a couple of years ago as deluxe 2CD sets chock full of unreleased stuff.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  14. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

One of my prized items is my limited edition CD of Woodface signed by the band. I love CH and all things Finn. The first four records along with Farewell to the World and Afterglow, the odds and ends release, still get regular play from me. I struggle with the two records from the reunion era for the same reason I struggle with Neil Finn's recent output-too down tempo. Since the last Finn Brothers release his work has been missing a mix of tempos. The songs are good but harder to listen to in one sitting. Still, he's one of those guys for me that I always want to hear what he's up to. Just as long as it doesn't involve Fleetwood Mac.

Ryan Lux, factory44, mrjinks and 2 others like this.
  15. BadJack

"Time On Earth" really came to life live, and I think it's a beautiful album. I've warmed up to "Intriguer" since its release, when I just couldn't get into it at all, but I got the impression that Neil's heart had gone out of CH somewhat. The fact that they've done almost nothing since seems to add to that, but I'm really not basing it on anything concrete.

16. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Of the two I prefer Time on Earth too. Don't Stop Now & She Called Up are great Finn songs. You may be right about Finn's interest. It was the death of Hester that sparked the reunion but ToE was a nearly complete Neil Finn solo record when he decided to reunite CH. If memory serves one of his sons (Liam?) was involved with Intriguer especially on tour. Seems like he does prefer working with his family rather than CH at this point. I give the man credit for his work ethic-he's constantly got a project or two going on all the time. While I'm not interested in seeing him as part of Fleetwood Mac I'm happy he gets to go make a big payday.

primejive, Atmospheric and BadJack like this.
  17. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Discovering this thread inspired me to dig out & play some CH. Currently spinning this 2016 reissue.....
    [​IMG]

Atmospheric likes this.
  18. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

How’s it sound?

19. eatthecheese

eatthecheese Forum Resident

Great band. My favorites are Woodface and Together Alone

I don't see Finn being a great fit in Fleetwood Mac though (not that anyone asked lol)

20. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Amen. I love all their albums, Intriguer being the least favourite. Time On Earth is a special record. Trimmed down a few tunes, it’s a full blown classic.

Crowded House is a band where there are loads of amazing moments within songs. Hole In The River, In The LowLands, How Will You Go, Nails In My Feet, English Trees, Archer’s Arrow. The deep cuts are extraordinary.

Also, I’ll never understand how the title track of Together Alone isn’t widely considered one of the best songs of the past 25 years.

21. Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  22. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Crowded House are/were my favourite band and greatest love (which really is saying something given my lifelong devotion to The Beatles), so I'm really pleased to see the OP getting so much joy from their stuff. While their albums are pretty much sublime (you can tell from my avatar which album of theirs is my favourite record ever) they really came to life live. There's a mountain of live material to be found, radio shows and fan club CDs, that display their ability to transcend their recorded output. Having seen them live so many times, many of my favourite memories are of them wandering off into improvisations and doing very random covers.

Their present status seems very opaque: Neil has referred to them as being "like a car on the blocks in the garage" but they started recording a follow-up to Intriguer which was abandoned part-way through and Neil has wandered from project to project without wanting to go back to the band. It all just seemed so strange. He also got quite shirty with fans (with whom he usually has a fabulously warm relationship) during the Dizzy Heights tour when he was repeatedly asked about the status of the band.

For anyone wanting to know more about Out of Silence, what's most impressive about it is that it was recorded in one session, while being webstreamed live! Personally, I found it to be quite a disappointing record - too sombre and lacking in melody - but it has some wonderful moments that justify the admission.

23. BadJack

Neil hasn't hidden his annoyance on Twitter about CH inquiries. I've seen him in foul moods and I wouldn't want to be on his bad side!

As for "Dizzy Heights" and "Out of Silence", a key difference is that the latter seems to be very much a true "solo album" in the sense that I can't picture, say, what Nick Seymour would have done...not to mention that most of the songs have no drums. "Dizzy Heights", on the other hand, sounds to me like it could have very easily been a Crowded House album.

Anne_G likes this.
  24. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

Brilliant live band too. Saw them in the early 90s in support of Together Alone. Superb musicians :cool:

Paul H likes this.
  25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I was captivated by the first lp and saw that tour, one of my favorite concerts ever. Magic in the air.
    Then of course Neil stars writing darker songs and that second lp might be my favorite.
    Woodface is of course wonderful as wel, but I don't think I worship it as much as most people do, probably due to the non Neil songs.

I bought a used copy of their odds and sods collection a few years ago and it's really great. Not the Girl You Think You Are is right up there with Into Temptation as Neil's best Beatles songs.
    His song about the dog almost dying is also good, without being too maudlin.