CSN(Y) What’s Next?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DEAN OF ROCK, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Eskimo Chain

Eskimo Chain Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed....

Crosby Stills and Nash, the couch album is getting a one-step release. I suppose it might be possible that because Mobile Fidelity own the metal work from the Classic records releases, which included a 45 rpm release that they may use those. Which would then certainly be AAA unlike the vast majority of other one-steps and would be cheaper than the very limited Classic release.

2. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Studio recordings of Everybody's Alone and Sea of Madness on a 7" single.

Limited edition of course.

ET3311, Fred1, GAW Jr. and 1 other person like this.
  3. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

I read in a recent interview Nash was one song away from a new solo album. He did also have to defend his thoughts on Michelle Phillips of the Mamas and Papas. That was much more entertaining. Crosby did go into the studio with the Lighthouse gang. I hoped whatever they did would be out by now. Surprised that's gone all a bit quiet. No recent mention of it on his Twitter.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  4. Evenflow82!

Evenflow82! Forum Resident

Can you explain what a one step release is? I have never heard that term before. Thanks!

5. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Why not an expanded Daylight Again? Surely, the through "two Super Bowl" sessions produced more than what is on the album. I know it doesn't get the praise of CSN and, especially, the debut, but it had two hit singles and sold well.

6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

It doesn’t matter who is relevant. It matters that they’re all alive and 3 out of 4 still make music.
    Mail they ever collaborate again? It’s a pathetic waste of time to speculate on it. If it’s meant to be, it’ll happen.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  7. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

If this clown hasn't socked away a few million over the years I have no sympathy for him.

ExHead, jb welda and Booyaa73 like this.
  8. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Keith Richards syndrome!

AveryKG and bluedemon25 like this.
  9. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

I bet they do one more tour.

10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

you do know he had a liver transplant and the meds for that are thousands of dollars a year right?

JDeanB and chrisblower like this.
  11. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

The Fillmore East shows from September 1969 would make a nice archival release. They were used as the source for a couple of songs from the Woodstock soundtrack. Thought I read that the tapes were remixed as part of the Woodstock 50th box set.

12. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

No I didn't know.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

How did that happen ? Were they the only band to swap over tapes from another gig ? Bet it was the persuasive Mr Geffen.

14. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Neil has allegedly committed to a Fillmore East release, according to his Archives site. IIRC, like with other CSN(Y) related archival sets, Nash was initially trying to spearhead the project, but it appears Neil has taken it over. That said, he has a lot of archival work he is overseeing, so one suspects the CSNY project is further down the list of his priorities.

Mullin and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

4 tracks were added to the remaster: Crosby, Stills & Nash - Daylight Again

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

Maybe a scratch and sniff book then?

17. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

With patchouli and weed stickers right?

18. bluedemon25

How far did Human Highway get to being an actual album?

Mooserfan and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. s320no

s320no Forum Resident

An expanded "Stills...Live!" perhaps?

Trond

jay.dee, Tom Daniels and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

My gut feeling is that there will never be any new CSN or CSNY music.

Nash will probably make one or two more solo albums. Crosby will make as many as he can either on his own or in collaboration with either his son James or the Lighthouse group of musicians he's worked with on some recent albums. I think Stills is done making new music, but he is planning to launch a series of releases from his archives as soon as this coming fall (presumably this campaign will exclude all CSN/CSNY material and be limited to Stills solo, Stills with Manassas, and possibly The Rides). Young will keep on doing what he has been doing.

I do think that a comprehensive release covering the CSNY Fillmore East shows in both 1969 and 1970, the latter with film accompaniment, will happen sometime in the next 2-3 years. I don't see any expanded reissues of other CSN(Y) albums happening (the debut was already reissued with bonus material and between that, the 1991 box, Stills' Just Roll Tape, and CSN Demos, I don't think there is much left unreleased from the pre-Deja Vu period. There could be some stand-alone archival live releases from the 1977 and 1982 CSN tours that emerge at some point, the latter possibly including demos/outtakes from the pre-Crosby Stills/Nash sessions in 1980-1, unless Stills is allowed to use those in his own archival series. Given the acrimony between Crosby and Nash, I can't see there being any archival work done on their catalog as a duo. We've already gotten some of that (things like Another Stoney Evening), but I doubt anything else will eventuate, at least while both are still alive.

Other than the Fillmore East CSNY project, the thing I'm most excited over is what might come out in Stills' archival project. Other than Young, obviously, Stills was the most prolific of the group as a solo act (or with other musicians) in the 1970s and we haven't heard very much other than what came out on his albums from that period. We know there was an abandoned 1979 solo album (some of which ended up much later on Man Alive!) as well as a mostly finished solo album in 1973, parts of which were redone for Stills, and there's certain to be some quality live recording from that period, including the concerts that were mined for Stephen Stills Live. The holy grail would be some Manassas live recordings, if they exist in decent-enough quality.

21. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Not all that far. A few completed tracks, all of which have been released (fairly sure) and a number of others that were recorded in demo form by the authors but for which full CSNY vocals/arrangements were never done. Almost all of these songs were later redone as solo (or dual Stills-Young Band or Crosby & Nash) tracks by the song authors. They also shot an album cover (shown in the 1991 box set) for it on Maui.

Here's a Rolling Stone piece on it from a few years ago:
    'Human Highway': Piecing Together the Great CSNY Album That Never Was

I could possibly see an archival reconstruction of a possible HH album, including some of the unreleased demos and incomplete recordings, being put together. But I don't think it would contain very much in the way of unreleased songs.

bluedemon25 likes this.
  22. bluedemon25

Thank you for letting me know. It's a shame it didn't get further but I would certainly be interested if they ever put anything out more than has already been.

23. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Croz has to tour, he has little money.

Michael likes this.
  24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Release of the still-unleaked album that Rick Rubin was producing for them, which he raved about as being "Hot Dogs in Space, II".

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

He already announced some months ago that he has given up touring.