CSNY - American Dream Music Video - opinions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aar Gal, Sep 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

great song...can you say gary hart?

greater album.....14 songs and 13 of them are pretty darn good (drivin thunder, and its actually worse on stills' 'man alive')

people wanted 'deja vu' and that, plain and simply, was never ever going to happen again.

carlwm likes this.
  2. JackS

JackS Then Play On

And this isn't even close.

3. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I’d never seen this before!
    A huge CSNY fan, too!

when this came out, I was actively avoiding videos for the most part and I guess I still do.....
    This is fun though! It looks like Crosby is so happy to be there with the other three! Even if it is a video...

As for the song however, I was pretty jazzed when I heard that they were reuniting to make an album. And I got to admit, when I heard this song on the radio for the first time, during the line “maybe get some help/from above“, I was very moved and so happy to hear those voices combined once again. At the time, Crosbys drug problems, and general ambivalence amongst the members was big news.

Such a long time ago.

Pretty good song, holds up fairly well except that awful flute sounding keyboard thing. I understand why it was used in the song but it sounds so dated in a bad way.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I think the song is CSNY's "My Ding-a-Ling." Might be a thread there...

Buddybud and Aar Gal like this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i don't know, 'queen of the mall' might have this one beat.

i know i know it's 'queen of them all' but i like my title better.

DTK likes this.
  6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It actually was called "Queen of the Mall" on the first promo copies.

7. I remember being excited about the reunion. I was too young to know CSNY in real time when they started, but I became aware at the time of the excellent "Wasted On the Way" and "Southern Cross" singles. And I worked backward from there, loving a lot of the material. I'd read that Crosby was back to health and so it seemeed exciting.

Then this song got released, and I saw the video on TV. Instant turn-off.

In fact, I think that albums is the incredible track "Compass" and nothing else of any worth. The box set of version of "Got It Made " is OK. Nothing remotely good from Neil or Graham on this album.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  8. What was needed was a good song. We didn't get it.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Always interesting how people's takes are different. I love American Dream. Still play it regularly. All four of them were on fire, in my opinion at least, with their writing and singing, Indeed, I'd say Graham & Neil, came up with some of their best ever songs on this album.

As I said, just a different set of ears. :)

Rosskolnikov and Ryan Lux like this.
  10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Guess Peggy threatened to kick his royal behind.

Either way, I like Stephen's songs (bar That Girl) and Neil's songs on the album. Nash and Croz brought their D game to the sessions,

11. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

In your humble opinion of course. :wave:

carlwm likes this.
  12. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Agreed, Nash was at the height of his “preachy hippie” phase. I do like Clear Blue Skies though....

They both seem to write better songs away from CSNY. Perhaps the platform of the group brings the worst out of them?

carlwm, DTK and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  13. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I am also of two minds:

Mind 1 - the video is bad
    Mind 2 - the song is bad.

And I like these guys!

14. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

My favorite song on the album!

Ryan Lux likes this.
  15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's a theory that pops up now and then.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

This was aired in full on Canadian TV over the years, including recent memory. They also aired the "Piece of Carp" music video from mid 90's which I doubt got aired in full anywhere else.

17. Robbie California

Robbie California Forum Resident

I actually don't mind Steve's guitar on Got it Made. The song is pretty limp though.

18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Great song, I reckon.

19. Robbie California

Robbie California Forum Resident

To me it beats anything on that album. But then again, I just like hearing Steve play guitar and sing ... and that bridge by Neil is fantastic. His best thing on American Dream.

carlwm likes this.
  20. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

As most people seem to ignore in that other thread you’re talking about, this particular song did not even chart. It wasn’t a big hit. So it couldn’t be their “My Ding A Ling”.

21. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Best songs on the album IMHO: Feel Your Love, Clear Blue Skies, This Old House, Compass and the title track. I have a soft spot for Drivin Thunder but I’d never call it a great song. :agree:

carlwm likes this.
  22. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I actually think That Girl is Stills’ best song on here but the production is horrible. For some reason, he was loving the DX7 piano and horns. With a Woodstock style production, it could’ve been a great rocker.

carlwm likes this.
  23. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

I think it’s an amusing video reflecting the political pratfalls (Gary Hart) of the late 80’s. I like the song, but the album is too long and is a victim of late 80’s production. There are some good songs, but some real stinkers, too. It seems to me that after the introduction of the compact disc, a lot of albums were too long. There was something to be said for the constraints imposed by the vinyl LP, and the extended time afforded by the CD led to a lot of songs ending up on albums that would otherwise been B side fodder.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  24. m_y_t_h

m_y_t_h Forum Resident

The album is worth getting for "Feel Your Love" alone.

Ryan Lux and carlwm like this.
  25. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Neil actually lists it as Queen of the Mall on his Archives site. I sent a letter to the editor about the wrong title. They came back and said Neil when reviewing before launch, asked for it to be listed as Queen of the Mall. Neil didn't tell them why...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.