Current Paul McCartney news thread (interviews, articles, miscellaneous)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Unpainted Dreams

Unpainted Dreams Forum Resident

I visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's new Get Back exhibit this weekend and I now have the crowning accomplishment of taking a picture next to...THE SHIRT.

[​IMG]

2. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I just couldn't help it any longer.

Every Song Paul McCartney Recorded In This Shirt

This shirt haunts me.

3. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Going for the 1969 Paul McCartney look as well, I see. ;)

Unpainted Dreams likes this.
  4. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Michael Bublé: 'Higher' and Studio Sessions with Paul McCartney | Apple Music

"Michael Bublé also talks about the experience of producing “My Valentine” alongside Sir Paul McCartney and the “human moments” they shared."

At 7:38

5. Unpainted Dreams

I definitely enjoy a retro look from time to time!

Who Cares and Haristar like this.
  6. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Pete Townshend Recalls Turning Paul McCartney On To Home Recording

"In the May issue of Uncut, the Who leader recalled how he hipped “Macca” into tracking full-on masters at home: “Do you know the story about Paul’s first solo album? I was working on my first solo album, Who Came First, at Olympic. He was in the studio doing something as well and came in to listen to the whole album. Paul said: 'How did you do this?' I said that I recorded it at home. I said, 'I’ve got a little mixing desk and an eight-track tape machine.' He went, 'F***! And you did it yourself?' I said, 'Yeah, you should do it.'”"

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

:righton:

[​IMG]

8. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

About wonderful Xmas time you mentioned earlier …I had the luxury of enjoying this song upon its release and saw it as a novelty Xmas release and, as am an older fan, I had the pic sleeve 45 single and enjoyed it before it later became worn out as Xmas background music in stores. I always especially enjoyed the video of it, wings last video, though maybe only saw it once or twice on MTV or perhaps Saturday night music shows then at the time. Thus, my views and memories of it are different and it’s not overplayed in my area.

9. joy stinson

Still from online recordings of it, definitely a tour I’d like to have seen…for a few of the songs he hasn’t done since if for no other reason..especially like I’ve had enough and he’s hardly done mull of kintyre live.

tug_of_war, edrebber and Who Cares like this.
  10. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Old / New news. :)

Philip Ardagh on Twitter:

"Might this be a good time to mention that I wrote a book called HIGH IN THE CLOUDS with ex-Beatle Sir Paul McCartney which is being made into a film by Gaumont & Netflix, with a song by Lady Gaga? No... sorry. I'll get back under my stone. But... But you did ask,@ThatEricAlper."

11. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

ugh. "ex-Beatle." This from a collaborator, really?

12. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

I used to keep a punctiliously decorous little folder* containing each and every photograph of Paul in that shirt because I was a very sociable and loveable teenager, you see...

*on PC, of course. Not like a 40s detective with a trenchcoat and a hat.

13. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Over the weekend I watched Licorice Pizza and quite liked the movie, plus the soundtrack is excellent, evoking the vibe of '73 without lazily using any overfamiliar period tracks.

But the musical standout for me was the reverie halfway through featuring the lead couple and "Let Me Roll It." Not being much of a McCartney solo maven, I was absolutely blown away ("Who IS THAT?!?") by what a fantastically great song it is. It hit me even harder coming at me in the aftermath of watching the Let It Be documentary — it would have fit right in with what the Beatles were doing best in 1969. And the John-ness of the singing is oddly moving.

It sometimes takes a soundtrack to help you realize how awesome an awesome song is.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
  14. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Slowly but surely, the world is coming to realize that "Let Me Roll It" is Paul McCartney's greatest achievement.

15. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Will Sir Paul McCartney return to Stroud Sub Rooms?

"Hugh Phillimore, Volunteer Director of Stroud Sub Rooms, launches the campaign to #getmaccaback - an invitation to Sir Paul McCartney to return to the venue 60 years after the Beatles played there."

16. Unpainted Dreams

Glad I'm not the only one who has curated a fascination in this shirt!

fdsfd, omikron, Who Cares and 2 others like this.
  17. joy stinson

Yes…was done in the seventies when solo John and Paul imitated each other’s songs/sounds and wrote songs back and forth to each other. John imitated let me roll it later on his solo song “beef jerky.” McCartney imitated John’s reverb sound on let me “roll it song.”

18. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Michael Buble equates Paul McCartney to Mozart after work on new album: 'He is who we think he is'

"Q: Working on your version of Paul McCartney’s 2012 song “My Valentine” should be a career highlight.

Bublé: He is the most famous, perhaps greatest – true – musician on the planet. When we talk about peers, is it Mozart? Beethoven? And so common. So not impressed. So kind and humble and easy. When I got the message from him, I understood that you were working on the record and I have a really special song and I think you really do justice to this song, I was really happy that I was on his radar. I made sure to let Paul know that I didn’t want to work with him for a song. I want to work with Sir Paul McCartney for all he can do. He is what we think we are. He is a masterful musician who has the ability to elevate people – not just musically."

Michael Buble Talks ‘Higher’ Album: Pop Shop Podcast – Billboard

"Of the McCartney collaboration, Bublé says that the idea to cover “My Valentine” came from McCartney himself, who suggested the concept after he heard Bublé was working on a new album. Bublé was keen on the cover, and sent McCartney a demo recording and asked if McCartney could help out and produce the track for him. Ultimately, the final version of the song was bolstered by an orchestra.

“He walked in [to the studio] and he was incredible,” Bublé says of working with McCartney. “He really fostered the love of the song that we both had. He helped us to make sure that the performance was as rich and detailed as we both hoped it would be. I think he lifted everyone up in that room — those hundreds of musicians. I think everyone just played better than they ever had before. It’s magic.

“To be honest I just really wanted Sir Paul to know that I hadn’t asked him to be part of this for all the things he’s done. I asked him to be part of this for what he can do. If we don’t know by now, he is truly one of the greatest musicians, producers, writers our world has ever seen. And so you can imagine how much it meant to me that he would trust me enough to trust me with his art. It was mind-blowing for me.”"

19. joy stinson

Late on commenting on much earlier MTV video interview I missed then posted on this thread, but….Ah, beginning right off in the written interview, very first question, with the cliche of ‘Paul’s ego’…a hackneyed eighties trope along with control freak, etc, then circulated in interviews and Beatles books which supplanted the seventies trope, ‘Paul is soft pop, needed John, etc.’ If you can disregard some negative live and written interview presumptions and questions and most YouTube comments from interviews from these earlier solo decades, Paul is actually quite funny and quick witted though a ham and charming and didn’t resort to later repetition and same stories in his answers due to not being constantly asked about his Beatles era as he’s been last few years.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    edrebber, Who Cares and JDeanB like this.
  20. joy stinson

Wish I had all those 12 inch eighties singles ..only have two from Macca II era. Also wish I had those variant Macca mixes from eighties and nineties unknown to me then as I’m older and didn’t keep up with them or cd releases. I have to locate what I can on YouTube and other places like here. One person sent me some from PTP era which I’m grateful for. Then, I really like eighties and nineties production unlike most folks now.

Who Cares likes this.
  21. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Since this forum is maybe something "Paul's people" might read, here is a request.

I am hoping the people at McCartney Inc. can reduce the prices of tickets and make it easier for fans, rather than scalpers, to get seats, especially good seats.

For the upcoming LA shows, a huge percentage of the tickets are "platinum" or are being "resold" either on Ticketmaster itself or on stub hub. Prices range from $300 for the very worst seat possible to over $4000 for the front. For a family of four to sit in the last row, it would cost over a grand. And that's before the $100 parking fee.

Artists such as U2, Radiohead, and Springsteen have all put measures in place to prevent this, including:

- Having a monitored fan club (no scalpers) that gets to buy tickets earlier for face value.
    - Making the floor or field GA.
    - Issuing numbered GA wristbands based on when you get in line. (U2) Or random numbers a couple hours prior to showtime. (Springsteen.)
    - Having no "platinum" or presale nonsense. Just put the tickets on sale with the prices clear and transparent.
    - Allowing no resales. If you buy tickets, you must use them yourself and/or with your guests. You show your ID and the CC you used to get in.
    - No paying random people to fill empty overpriced seats and make it look full. (Yes, McCartney's team does this.)

Obviously, Paul McCartney is not hungry for cash. It would be pretty easy for him to forego some of the "platinum" ticket profit. I also think he is pretty pro-fan. But he's probably pretty removed from day-to-day operations.

Just a thought for next time Paul rolls into town. We're sitting this one out as it's just too pricey for a stadium show.

22. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

While I certainly think the above idea is admirable, I believe the days of Paul making substantial changes to ANYTHING regarding his concerts (selling, setlists, etc.) is a longshot at this stage in his performing career, sad to say.

In related news: if anyone is looking for Spokane tix, I just checked the website, and they have some "regular" (cough) priced tickets (not "platinum") available.

joy stinson likes this.

23. Linda’s Thought Cloud:

“Who poured such a strong drink!”

Who Cares and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  24. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I am going the first weekend in June, can't wait! Thanks for sharing!

25. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I am assuming Back in the USSR might not be making an appearance this year.